Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM

24 posts, read 69,807 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed that there are no turn lanes from Town Center Blvd to get onto the new Gornto Lake Rd. extension? If you are coming out of the mall on Town Center trying to turn left on Gornto to head back up to 60 there is nothing to stop the traffic coming into the mall so you can turn. Likewise if you are on Town Center coming towards the mall, you can't turn left onto Gornto Lake because of traffic coming from the mall.
(yes I know that all sounds geographically confusing, but if you have driven there you know exactly what I am talking about).
Can you imagine the backups and accidents coming, especially during the holidays?! I have seen two accidents in this short time period it's been open, and the amount of glass and bits of plastic in the center of the intersection points to more than that.
This was supposed to help alleviate the traffic backups from Highway 60 by giving people an alternative route to get there. Instead it will give another place for the backups and accidents to occur. They might as well have a cop standing there from now until January to direct the traffic.
I know for a fact that this project has been in the works for over a decade as my girlfriends dad was a traffic engineer and his company began the project. There is plenty of room for them to have included turn lanes/lights for the traffic trying to get into Gornto Lake Rd. just by converting the grass median.

If you would like to weigh in with your opinions or comments you can write the county commissioners at -- https://webapps.hillsboroughcounty.org/bocc/

I was made aware that people have been writing in and if there are enough complaints and accidents then something will be done. Not so much a "I want to complain" type thing..more of a "I value MY and the safety of others"...and a "why are my tax dollars being spent without the proper studies?" It would have been easier to do the work while the road was already under construction, than have to go back to the same place and spend more money than they would have originally.

Just a FYI for all of you beginning your holiday shopping season...the new Gornto Lake Rd may not be the blessing that everyone thought it would. Teens may want to avoid the intersection as it's set to be a major friction point and safety hazard for drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 01:32 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,360 times
Isn't that intersection controlled by 4-way stop signs?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,811,713 times
Hillsborough County, FL - Official Website - Gornto Lake Road Extension
Is it the same project you are talking about?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Isn't that intersection controlled by 4-way stop signs?
No, there are stop lights now so if you're trying to make a left turn during green, there is nothing stopping the cars coming at you to do so. Basically if you want to turn, you have to wait until the light turns red and then make your illegal left turn.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Yes that is the project.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
The whole traffic flow around the Brandon Mall is poor - I usually stay away from that big mess, especially during holiday times - sounds like some didn't plan properly with the traffic light system.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,811,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
Yes that is the project.
There is full set of plans (signed and sealed) on the link I posted earlier. According to plans they didn't do any work on the leg you are talking about (Town Center coming out of mall) and just matched to existing conditions. I agree it makes sense to add left turn lane. The question is who is responsible for it? Looks like mall owners are responsible to pay for it. Converting existing median to left turn lane shouldn't be a big deal, possible problems are with utilities/drainage structures currently located within the median and relatively short distance between intersections (the one in question and the one at the mall road - t-intersection) - looks like the length is only 200 ft. Signal heads should be upgraded with the lane addition. My guess it's not up to Hillsborough County and very unfortunately to say the safety study will get into effect only after number of fatal accidents.
I am sure county can push developer to do their part of work somehow.
I really hate Brandon mall for its difficult access. The main entrance is a total failure in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

They did resurfacing and adjustments right before the road opened on Town Center Blvd. According to the Hillsborough County/FDOT map it shows it belonging to Hillsborough County and the plat map agrees. Brandon Town Center Dr. (the loop around the mall) does show as belonging to the mall. I just think they were in such a hurry to get it done and say "here is a tax dollar project we completed ahead of schedule" they didn't really consider the traffic. They also did no traffic volume or directional study there anytime in the last year or two to verify the need for turn lanes etc.
At any rate I'm hoping a safety study happens soon before some poor soul tries to cross Gornto on foot at the crosswalk and is run over by the "non turn lane" traffic trying to beat the light.

Every voice does count..these people that control the projects ARE elected officials. (Now I sound like one of those sign holders protesting something mundane).

Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,360 times
All of the Brandon area is a cluster. It was clearly not planned to handle the increase in population.

I really don't understand why so many people live in Brandon. It's such a strange area.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
I never seem to hit all this "traffic" people mention. I stay off of 60 and never hit traffic in the 4 years i've been here save for the random outing during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay