Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times

Advertisements

I think the upgrade is a good one if you are going to do one, but $1.3 million is a drop in the bucket for what that stadium needs...in just small stuff. I know all of that isn't going to the 360 degree view addition, but I hope they pay attention to some of the smaller stuff.

To me, I've always noticed the dingy walls that look rain damaged or something in the upper area of the stadium walls. Really wish they would paint that and then continue on and paint some kind of mural on the outfield walls instead of concrete/grey. Maybe at least a sky blue cloud pattern to give impression of an open air stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Well, renewed seat package for another year - partial season tickets. As usual, low expectations. If they can stay competitive, that's all I ask for. Hate to see that Price might be leaving -

BTW, here's a picture of the renovation planned in the outfield. Some sort of boardwalk or walkway for fans. Good move imo.
Got my package in the mail...kind of shocked at the increase in pricing, especially since the pricing shown is supposed to be discounted for renewing members.

Last year I paid $646 for 2 season tickets for Sunday partial plan in Upper Box (Section 313). That is $323 per ticket.

To renew, it is $840 for the same package and seats. That is $420 per seat, or a 30% increase!

Something just doesn't seem right about that.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I have the Sunday plan as well, cheapest seats in the house (TBT Party) and paid $340 flat. I opted out of having hard copy tickets and get in with the Burst/Rays Pass - saved $50 that way. Not sure what I paid last season. Usually I go to a few additional games - mostly the concert games if the group is to my liking (although concerts at the Trop sound very bad, imo).

Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I think the upgrade is a good one if you are going to do one, but $1.3 million is a drop in the bucket for what that stadium needs...in just small stuff. I know all of that isn't going to the 360 degree view addition, but I hope they pay attention to some of the smaller stuff.

To me, I've always noticed the dingy walls that look rain damaged or something in the upper area of the stadium walls. Really wish they would paint that and then continue on and paint some kind of mural on the outfield walls instead of concrete/grey. Maybe at least a sky blue cloud pattern to give impression of an open air stadium?
Agree...the outfield walls aren't desirable to look at. And I'm surprised the new turf got bad (faded) in only two seasons. Eyesore. The new entryway from the rotunda will be a slight improvement. Pretty much a bandaid fix - no sense in dropping too much money into the stadium if they're planning on splitting in the next couple of years.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Agree...the outfield walls aren't desirable to look at. And I'm surprised the new turf got bad (faded) in only two seasons. Eyesore. The new entryway from the rotunda will be a slight improvement. Pretty much a bandaid fix - no sense in dropping too much money into the stadium if they're planning on splitting in the next couple of years.
I forgot to mention the turf, but that is a moot point now I guess. If I were in the Rays office, I'd be pretty ticket about how it has turned out...it looks like a worn out outdoor carpet on an 80's trailer patio. So spotty and worn in places...

The Georgia Dome has turf and it looks beautiful...along with a bunch of other stadiums I see on TV. The Trops turf looks rugged in person and on television.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
I went to about ten games this past season just at random when time allowed. I guess I'm not clear on how the stadium improvements will make any difference in attendance; which I'd assume would be the goal. I don't hear *that* many people complain about the stadium from a facility standpoint. I enjoy an air conditioned game in Florida in a stadium with a lot of food and drink options that stretch beyond the typical crap you get at Bucs games and the fact that I can bring friends and park for free with four in the car; that saves a lot of money over the course of a season. Perhaps it's just a show of good faith kind of thing to get City of St Pete politicians back to the table on working with the team to move elsewhere in Pinellas?

I'm in Tampa but am not a fan of the idea of moving them to downtown channelside area. Parking is already horrid for Lightning games and moving them there wouldn't be any better. Hopefully if they move, and stay local, wherever it is they will still control the parking so we don't start having to forking out $25/game like the Bucs.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM

I think the aesthetics of the stadium is the biggest complaint that I hear from the casual fan who only attends one or two games a season. They expect more than just seeing a good game with decent players - they want an "experience" - and that includes looking around at the stadium and seeing cool stuff. Regular avid baseball fans couldn't care less about the aesthetics if they have affordable seats, decent priced food/parking, and a competitive team on the field.

I cross the Skyway Bridge to get to games, so I never experience a lot of traffic coming to or going from the games. But I expect folks coming from N. Tampa, Brandon, Tampa see a lot of traffic on I275 when going to games - and that probably is a deterrent as well.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM

Logjam at catcher.

Rays set to acquire C Hanigan in trade with Reds

Wonder who we're giving up in the trade.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM

I'd say Ice Cream man gets traded away...if not there, then in another trade to make room. I'd rather see Molina go, honestly...his overall skillset as an MLB catcher leaves too much to be desired for the time he plays. Weak hitter, little power, low speed, and doesn't get many extra base hits. I know his defense is great...but I think we could find middle ground in someone else.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:48 PM

166 posts, read 321,978 times
GREAT....Another catcher that hits 200...no power....and is hurt...ALOT. It was hard watching Molina last year. Even felt embarrassed for him a bit.

The writing is on the wall. The Yankmee's are looking to get out of there Tampa spring training home. They just need to make sure they dont overbuild. Im thinking 45k seats at MOST. For the cost(season tickets), the Trop is not a very good place to watch a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay