Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
some old guy who's probably had weapons pulled on him in the past
This is a new level of leniency I've not seen before. The "ex-cop with a quick trigger finger" equals justifiable homicide defense.

Does this mean everyone should give former or retired policemen a wide berth and acquiesce to their demands? Should they be required to wear special markings so we can be warned?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Exactly...

Simpletons falling victim to fear mongering.
Or perhaps smart people who look at statistics. One of every 161 people in Tampa will be a victim of a violent crime annually. I choose to carry something that may lessen my chances of being a victim at some point in my life.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Nancy Grace just finished a segment on this story - wonder if they'll provide TV coverage of the trial like they did w/ Casey Anthony.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Or perhaps smart people who look at statistics. One of every 161 people in Tampa will be a victim of a violent crime annually. I choose to carry something that may lessen my chances of being a victim at some point in my life.
Stats like that are so skewed...it depends which part of Tampa...the same unfortunate people are victims over and over...it's misleading statistic What the old saying... Statistics lie and liars use statistics...

Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Does this mean everyone should give former or retired policemen a wide berth and acquiesce to their demands?
Actually, yes. My wife is a medical doctor at the VA, I won't go into what type, but suffice it to say that there do exist veterans who can legally own weapons and who also, as a result of experiences during their service for our country, have issues with anger, can be made quite angry quite rapidly and may even be prone to violent outbursts. However, if the condition doesn't conform to the definition of 'mental illness' or has yet to be fully diagnosed, there is no legal basis to prevent them from purchasing a gun. I'm sure there are also police who have had experiences that have altered their mental state from before to after.

In any case, these are people who may have a higher probability of letting a situation get out of hand and it becoming violent. Of course there is typically no way to identify a vet or ex-LEO visually, so, you're better off treating any situation as one where the other person may be armed and possessing a short temper. The victim in this case sounds like he didn't do that, he's dead now. He could have easily prevented his own demise by moving seats, and the shooter could also just as easily eliminated his annoyance at the texting by moving seats. Neither wanted to acquiesce from their position, unfortunately one had a gun and took it to that level. Had just one side backed down, one would be alive, one would not be in jail.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Nancy Grace just finished a segment on this story - wonder if they'll provide TV coverage of the trial like they did w/ Casey Anthony.
Does she have a nick name for the shooter like she did the "tot mom"? I can't stand watching her but some of the things she says are funny at times.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I don't watch much of her show. I was just clicking around the channels and she's pretty much anti-old dude. Didn't see any nickname. Maybe we can come up with one like Movie Theater Vigilante.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:50 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,229 times
Quote:
Does she have a nick name for the shooter like she did the "tot mom"? I can't stand watching her but some of the things she says are funny at times.
How bout Grumpy Gramp.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I don't agree the guy should have shot the other, nor that deadly force was justified, however, consider this:

1) The movie previews were playing, this means the only light in the room is what's being reflected from the screen. We do not know how light or dark it was at the time.

2) If you had been watching a bright screen and turn away from it to argue with someone, you will have a difficult time focusing.

3) You're incredibly paranoid.

4) You used to be a cop and feel like everyone should respect your wishes and/or authority even though you're no longer in a position of authority.

5) From having been a cop, perhaps you've had weapons pulled on you in the past. I'll even go so far as to say, perhaps someone has thrown debris of some sort in your face at some point in an attempt to blind, incapacitate or otherwise gain some advantage during an altercation that occurred as part of your job.

6) From having been a cop, you know you must make split second decisions that could mean the difference between life and death.

7) People have been killed in theaters in recent years.

8) This guy's 70 and his vision is not likely as good as it was decades ago.

So with all of that being said, this may have just been a perfect storm situation where experiences of the past, a dark theater, verbal exchange, someone gets up to start a physical altercation and next thing you know some substance is hitting your face; you draw your weapon and shoot. I wasn't there, I don't know either guy, I would find it very doubtful I'd draw my weapon in such a situation, but, this guy's life has been completely different than likely any of ours and in his brain, he may have viewed this as a life and death situation if he made that decision based on past experiences and an inability to clearly see what was actually happening. If that's what actually occurred, he may very well get out of this legally. Or, he could also just be crazy, was well aware of what was happening, and snapped. That's the legal system's job to figure out at this point.

As a gun owner you have the responsibility to not kill an unarmed person point blank because you are mad at them. How can you defend this murdering old coot? He deserves to rot in jail and then in hell. IMHO, He deserves worse, but I will be polite about it.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I just watched an press conference given by the woman making the claims regarding the December incident with Reeves. I wonder why she just didn't quietly contact the prosecutor and give a statement and/or be a witness at trial. Why do press? I just don't understand some of these things.
Because maybe she realizes that it could have been her or a person she was with that was killed and she wants to make sure this man does not get off to kill again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay