Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to the Tampa area from Buffalo NY and wondering if we should rent first or just buy.

We have been to the area before, we love the weather, the real question is if we can find jobs first (IT and Insurance) and then sell our current home.

Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
My wife and I are considering relocating to the Tampa area from Buffalo NY and wondering if we should rent first or just buy.

We have been to the area before, we love the weather, the real question is if we can find jobs first (IT and Insurance) and then sell our current home.

Any thoughts ?
I am answering the real question.........it depends on your area of work and expertise you have. Get the job first! .

Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If i was moving to an area i wasnt entirely familiar with and i had no job and an unsold house up north i wouldnt feel comfortable laying down several hundred thousand and locking myself into home ownership right away, i'd be more into renting for a while to scope out an area i'd feel comfortable with and to get the best possible deal on a house in the area.
If this isnt a maybe type of move why not sell the house in buffalo and jump into Florida with both feet,?Once in Florida are you really going to want to move back to Buffalo?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 AM

16 posts, read 27,883 times
jambo101 is right. If you are really committed to the move, find jobs here FIRST. Then put your house up there and rent here. If your market is hot up there and your home shows well, and is priced well you should have an offer and be able to close in 90-120 days. Renting is always good when you move somewhere because you never really know if you will like the first area you are exposed to. I have had clients who moved here from the north who did a 6 month rental or a month to month rental so that when they found a home here they were not be tied down to a long term lease.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

473 posts, read 544,464 times
We definitely plan on having jobs before we move, that's a must. The question would then be rent or buy and it may make more sense to rent for a short time. We are not really worried about selling our home, houses in our neighborhood are never on the market very long.

Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: