Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:45 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJeezy12 View Post
Thanks all, I appreciate the helpful advice! I've done a ton of research and it seems like Channelside is a great area for late 20s/early 30s professionals. I'm from the midwest and was going to move to Chicago but came to FL to get away from the cold, and think I'll get more of the city feel that I'm looking for in Tampa. Channelside really seems like an up and coming area. I think I'd really be happy anywhere in Tampa Bay, as each place has it's own unique appeal, but am leaning toward Channelside at the moment. What do you all think of Channelside?
You should keep in mind that all those areas are fairly close, I live S Tampa and go Downtown Tampa and Downtown St Pete all the time, I can be in either place in 20 min or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

185 posts, read 318,583 times
Quote:
Thanks all, I appreciate the helpful advice! I've done a ton of research and it seems like Channelside is a great area for late 20s/early 30s professionals. I'm from the midwest and was going to move to Chicago but came to FL to get away from the cold, and think I'll get more of the city feel that I'm looking for in Tampa. Channelside really seems like an up and coming area. I think I'd really be happy anywhere in Tampa Bay, as each place has it's own unique appeal, but am leaning toward Channelside at the moment. What do you all think of Channelside?
Im just going to tell you now, take what you read with a grain of salt and do your own research as in make time to come down here at least once and see the area for yourself. Its not that what people are tell you is incorrect, its just that what looks good on paper may not be as great a fit for you in reality. This is what happened to me.

On paper Tampa has everything I want, however when I went to visit I honestly just didn't care for it. Downtown just wasn't a true "downtown" in comparison with somewhere like Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, etc.
Tampa's not bad, just isn't for me. By the way I am young professional as well.

Now fast forward two year and I have made my way and have moved as of a month ago to ST. Pete and I really like thus far. One thing I can tell you as I'm sure you keep seeing people mention is that the vibe over here is just different than that of Tampa. Hard to explain just something you have to feel out for yourself.

Now I will say, I think some of the better shopping can be had in Tampa depending on what your searching for. However I've found thus far that I don't really have to leave the island as I like to call it for really anything. The cool thing is though if you like that bar scene or different aspects of Tampa bur prefer to live St Pete, well its just a short few miles over the bridge . I love it. Gives you the best of both worlds. I would have caution that if you are someone that has a job you have to go into everyday (i work remote), I would not live to far from my job.

And the end of the day come down, visit (id come on a week day ) and see what fits YOU the best

Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Channelside is an up and coming area? Channelside is known as one of the biggest failures in Tampa and is currently stuck in limbo as far as selling it is concerned.

As to the differences between St. Pete and Tampa: St. Pete seems to want people to live there. Tampa is more content with people living in the suburbs and is content with them simply working here and coming for a one off event. That said, I prefer living in Tampa. I'd rather drive to St. Pete if I have to go there.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Channelside is an up and coming area?
I've been hearing that since the late 90's, so I suppose eventually it will come true.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
Quote:
St Pete is mostly full of hipsters.
I've lived in the area for 15 years and lived in the city of St. Petersburg for the past five years. This is the first time I've ever heard that statement.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
As to the differences between St. Pete and Tampa: St. Pete seems to want people to live there. Tampa is more content with people living in the suburbs and is content with them simply working here and coming for a one off event.
That will change. One thing that is driving urbanization in many cities is the degradation of the suburbs. Pay attention to what is happening in Riverview, Brandon, etc. When the schools in the northern suburbs like New Tampa start to slip, people will suddenly realize there is no point to living so far away. At that point, I predict that some of these people will start moving into southern South Tampa and Robinson High School will shoot up in the school rankings.

Another prediction is that when this process is completed, you will hear a bunch of kvetching from liberals about how horrible it is that all of those "disadvantaged" people are being "forced" to live way out in the suburbs.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That will change. One thing that is driving urbanization in many cities is the degradation of the suburbs. Pay attention to what is happening in Riverview, Brandon, etc. When the schools in the northern suburbs like New Tampa start to slip, people will suddenly realize there is no point to living so far away. At that point, I predict that some of these people will start moving into southern South Tampa and Robinson High School will shoot up in the school rankings.

Another prediction is that when this process is completed, you will hear a bunch of kvetching from liberals about how horrible it is that all of those "disadvantaged" people are being "forced" to live way out in the suburbs.
That's true, you have seen it in Chicago, now New York, one demand for the city increases , prices will increase as well driving all the current residents to the more affordable suburbs, it's a matter of time.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:

I spent the weekend there.......it is great but the person I stayed with is really tired of the red light cameras and the ridiculous traffic when area events are going on.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:01 PM

41 posts, read 76,010 times
There are hipsters in South Tampa, and there are superficial people in St. Pete. Both areas are full of all kinds of people. One thing I never understood about living here is that you either have to be a Tampa person, or a St. Pete person. And many people don't go across the bridge ever. I live in South Tampa but I go to St. Pete and Clearwater and Pasco County all the time.

I looked into both areas and what attracted me to South Tampa is that it seems to be the place where businesses look at opening first, the "hot" area. South Tampa is also the most centrally located part of the region. It's right smack in the middle of the Tampa Bay metro area and nothing is ever really far away.

St. Pete seems isolated to me, as does Clearwater. For shopping, spas, yoga, fitness, organics South Tampa wins hands down. But like I said, what attracted me to SoTa was the central location and the fact that if I ever got a job out of South Tampa, it would always be a reverse commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay