Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Wonder what they pay a human to do manikan work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlsxN9T5qU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
They're everywhere - they're annoying. They're in danger to street traffic, imo. But they're a good example for my young nephew and niece. I tell them the sign-twirles probably didn't pay attention in class, sat in the back and cracked jokes and didn't learn what they were supposed to learn when given the opportunity.

Sign of rough economic times? I kind of feel sorry for the older ones -
Wonder how much they make an hour.
It's an honest living (a lot more honest than many of the "elite" professions) and better than working in some cubical farm sucking in stale air and co-worker body odors.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I'm sure those of you living in the Hudson area know about Jersey John:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsgOWx0Nj3M
He's the guys who stands off of 19 spinning a sign for a gold store. He wears these little denim cut-off shorts and boots. He's quite entertaining!

When we lived in Hernando, we always saw this one sign spinner near Mariner and 50 - she wore roller skates and would dance around on them while holding up a sign. Then there was this headbanger guy who always stood on the corner of Spring Hill Drive and Mariner - he had long black hair and was always hooked up to an iPod or something. He would dance around like he was in a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert. Some business found him and gave him a sign to twirl.

I don't see many of these types where I am now, but it never bothered me to see them in the past. At least they are out there working and doing SOMETHING with themselves. Some people don't have the mental capacity to hold down a regular job for whatever reason, and we really shouldn't judge them or point them out to our children as if they were lesser people just because they twirl a sign.
I see the guy down at 19 and 52 all the time. And the girl at the corner of Mariner and 50 by Walgreens is still there regularly, I believe.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
It's an honest living (a lot more honest than many of the "elite" professions) and better than working in some cubical farm sucking in stale air and co-worker body odors.
They're basically functioning as a stick.

Sign Spinners (Funny Videos) - YouTube

Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 AM

484 posts, read 761,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wonder what they pay a human to do manikan work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlsxN9T5qU
I am seeing more manikins now, I guess it's cheaper! There is a gorilla one on Hillsborough.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
As a counter point, there's a homeless guy that lives at the corner of Fowler and Florida in Tampa; most people in this area know him as the dancing homeless guy because he tirelessly dances at the intersection all day long.
That guy isn't homeless. He has a Facebook page. He's a street performer and makes his living dancing on the side of the road.

As for sign twirling, I was in Plant City one day when a woman offered me $9 an hour for about 20 hours a week to spin a sign on the side of the road. I turned her down. There is no amount of money that will bring me to Plant City that often.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Back when men were hired to wear "sandwich boards" which advertised everything. Pawn shops, clothing stores, restaurants, even dentists and doctors. These guys would walk up and down the sidewalk near the places they were advertising for. What we see today is simply a modern version of this means of advertising. It apparently worked then and apparently works now. It brings attention to the sponsor of the sign. They are, in effect, moving billboards.

Someone mentioned the roller skate girl at Mariner and Cortez, great work out for her. The air guitar guy is from Spring Hill and can usually be found at Mariner and Spring Hill Drive. He advertises for several different places.

Not a bad gig for $9 an hour.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
I am seeing more manikins now, I guess it's cheaper! There is a gorilla one on Hillsborough.
Mainkans don't get skin cancer or suffer from dehydration -

Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
I think it would be terrible in the oppressive heat, the sticky 90+ days. I ride by them in the comfort of the AC'd car and feel bad for them. I got to give them credit, I couldn't do it, it's hot out there.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I never understand the girls that twirl the "hot and ready" signs...the comments these girls must get...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay