Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 AM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
kind of like Haight-Asbury meets Key West....
Well I'm an old dead head and I used to live in Key west so it certainly seems fitting for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 AM

I have definitely noticed that Tampa lacks ALOT of things, especially places to hang out. But then I also realize that Tampa is a brand new city and they are still establishing things like that. I suspect in the next couple years while the condos get filled and the stores and spaces below them that night life in tampa will come alive a litlle more. I work in Channelside, and that is pretty much all there is to do in dwntwn Tampa! It's pathetic for Tampa but very good for me!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I have definitely noticed that Tampa lacks ALOT of things, especially places to hang out. But then I also realize that Tampa is a brand new city and they are still establishing things like that. I suspect in the next couple years while the condos get filled and the stores and spaces below them that night life in tampa will come alive a litlle more. I work in Channelside, and that is pretty much all there is to do in dwntwn Tampa! It's pathetic for Tampa but very good for me!
Yes, right now the downtown core(where the skyscrapers are) lacks nightlife(except Fly Bar, The Hub, Hattricks, Shark Club, Gilligan's and Kelly's Pub- Tampa Theater has some good concerts). A few blocks to the east is Channelside nightlife and Harbor Island, but if you venture about a mile to the East of the downtown core there is Ybor City which is going through it's third regentrification(in the 90's it was THE place to be); and about a mile to the west of downtown is Hyde Park/SOHO area with lots of nightlife along South Howard Ave. Then there are a scattering of local nightlife around South Tampa neighborhoods, and lastly International Plaza's Bay Street.

St. Pete's downtown has a nice nightlife scene with a variety of places around the Central Ave area and waterfront.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Yes, right now the downtown core(where the skyscrapers are) lacks nightlife(except Fly Bar, The Hub, Hattricks, Shark Club, Gilligan's and Kelly's Pub- Tampa Theater has some good concerts). A few blocks to the east is Channelside nightlife and Harbor Island, but if you venture about a mile to the East of the downtown core there is Ybor City which is going through it's third regentrification(in the 90's it was THE place to be); and about a mile to the west of downtown is Hyde Park/SOHO area with lots of nightlife along South Howard Ave. Then there are a scattering of local nightlife around South Tampa neighborhoods, and lastly International Plaza's Bay Street.

St. Pete's downtown has a nice nightlife scene with a variety of places around the Central Ave area and waterfront.
Well that's what I'm sayin'. It's a lot of scattering. Ybor is the only place that you can walk to every venue in. You can almost do that in Hyde Park area.... well certain places have clusters of bars. But DOWNTOWN Tampa, you really only have Channelside.... and then otherwise you're driving to anything else you wanna get to ie. The Hub, Fly Bar, etc...

Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Well that's what I'm sayin'. It's a lot of scattering. Ybor is the only place that you can walk to every venue in. You can almost do that in Hyde Park area.... well certain places have clusters of bars. But DOWNTOWN Tampa, you really only have Channelside.... and then otherwise you're driving to anything else you wanna get to ie. The Hub, Fly Bar, etc...
Did you expect a nightlife scene like New York or Chicago in lil Tampa. As far as small cities, I think Tampa/St. Pete has a decent nightlife compared to cities of similar size.

WHat is it exactly that you are looking for as far as nightlife? A bunch of Ybor like places within the city? I prefer the small neighborhood area places(there are about half dozen walking distance from my house), than the Mardi Gras atmosphere of Ybor(i'm really showing my age now)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM

I really only like a couple bars in Ybor. I have never even stepped into their clubs and never will. Resevoir Bar, because it's the closest thing to detroit bars for me and king Corona beacause of the chill atmosphere. I'll go to Green Iguana for food and also because I am friends with one of the bartenders. Other than that Fly Bar, although I've only been there once was absolutely awesome in my opinion. I love The Hub for it's juke box, huge jager shots and regulars. I dunno. I like the small bars too. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that downtown Tampa which was specifically my original subject is still building up for sure. They want to make it a baywalk kind of theme is what I'm hearing?? I'm picturing something like dwntwn St. Pete maybe??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay