Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 276,740 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to New Port Richey this summer. Any one here have pictures of the area or can give me your opinion of the city?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
I think it's a pretty decent city as far as places outside of Tampa goes. But you might want to check into homeowners insurance there, last I heard it had skyrocketed and people are having a hard time affording their homes because of it. I had heard of people paying $5k a year...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 AM

Thanks Red. Won't be buying for a while though...don't want to get into something and regret it later, so I'll be renting.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,603 times
I am curious why you would pick NPR. If you have family there or work there, I would move there. My 35yr old son lived there 14 yrs. He say its old people town, If you work there , its better to live there. But it is too many 2 lane road and no interstate, Hwy 19 is awful. I always hated the drive to NPR from Tampa area.
The rental pices of apts and homes have gone up due to the high insurance and taxes. Homeowners Insurance in Pasco , Hernando has increased the newspapers say because of sinkhole risk.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Yes, I have family there...didn't mean to type NEW Port Richey...I'll be moving to Port Richey, which is, I think, only two miles or so away. I suppose there would be no big difference (correct me please if I'm wrong).

I'm 35, and my son is 8. My brother tells me that there are good schools there. I don't mind living in a community where there are "old people." I'd say it's probably better than living in the ghetto on the west side of Chicago, and Indianapolis, not unless of course those "old people" are selling and using crack, staying up all night distrubing the peace with their drug parties, and breaking into my house once every other month.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM

251 posts, read 885,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post
I'll be moving to New Port Richey this summer. Any one here have pictures of the area or can give me your opinion of the city?

Thanks!

I live in Port Richey...I should have sent you a picture of the drunk driver that fell asleep at the wheel last night after driving her car right up on my property....it was still in drive when we found her! This area has gone WAY down. I have lived here all my life (I'm 40) We are in the planning stage to leave here, schools are terrible, gangs are growing daily, traffic is a NIGHTMARE, and insurance and taxes are obscene! The Pasco Times section of the newspaper has a weekly crime report that takes up a full half page each week. (I read you want to rent, rent starts at about $900 a month for a small 1br 1ba and upwards to $1900 a month for 2br 2ba in an apartment complex) I have to run some errands today and will try and take a few pictures while I am out and about. Also the building in Pasco is crazy...there is "new" construction everywhere, no more county roads, trees and farmland here! SR 54 is now an eight lane highway and SR 52 is a 6 lane highway and is under construction to make it bigger! As for the "old people", yes there are still lots but they are the least of your worries here! That's just my opinion.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,603 times
Be sure to have lunch or dinner at PIT BOSS BBQ, We love it there. we always made it our place to eat when going to visit my son. The best food ever.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:47 AM

56 posts, read 166,247 times
I think Sunshinestate's post can sum up Florida in general. Horrible crime, bad economy, and ridiculous schools.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 AM

251 posts, read 885,700 times
While out and about in NPR and PR todayI saw the usual traffic jams, a 10 foot sink hole being worked on in the middle of US 19 a little south of Southgate, road construction, construction for a new Home Depot that is across the street from the Lowe's on Ridge and Little, Construction for ANOTHER Wal Mart on SR 54 (there is another one about 5 miles down on SR54, one at Ridge Road and 19, and another that is proposed for US19 in Tarpon...we will soon be know as the County of Wal Mart) My round trip of 8 miles from my house to where I had to go ended up taking me 1 1/2 hours with my stop taking 15 minutes.

P.S. I DO love Pit boss!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New Port Richey-dsc00001.jpg   New Port Richey-dsc00004.jpg   New Port Richey-dsc00007.jpg   New Port Richey-dsc00009.jpg   New Port Richey-dsc00010.jpg  

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 AM

Good Lord! It looks like the gateway to hell (the traffic). My brother has long bragged about living in Port Richey, and he loves it. Perhaps anything seems better to him than the ghettos of Chicago.

The school my son will be attending received an A on the FPS Report Card, hope that wasn't a typo. The schools here in Indianapolis is a joke, and makes me regret that I took him out of private school last year.

My other big concern is finding work in Port Richey. My brother keeps saying there are plenty of jobs but while I've been doing dry-run searches for something in my field, I come up with nothing.

I would welcome more pictures, perhaps something a bit more soothing to the eye to aleaviate my anxiety.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay