Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM

291 posts, read 1,113,895 times

Advertisements

Reading through some of the posts on the forum, I see that some feel there is a lack of nightlife in the area. Ybor City seems to offer bars and late night music, but seems that the feeling is that it's not particularly safe and is more of a young crowd. Also getting the impression that downtown Tampa is mostly a business district and shuts down after the work day is over. Is this the case? Are there areas in Tampa that offer late night dining, upscale bars, maybe live music, maybe bars or restaurants that offer both dining and music in an outdoor or patio setting after hours? What's the scene for the 30-something crowd who are past the "club" or drink til' you drop scene, but still like to go out for a drink, listen to some music, dance and stay out late once a week or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,472,631 times
SInce kids I haven't made the trek over to Tampa that often in the last few years- at 36 I have an idea what you are referring to- there are some bars around Hyde Park and The Red DOg on Bay to Bay that I'll go to from time to time.

I live in St. Pete- Downtown St. Pete has a varied mix of upscale bars, restaurants, clubs, and great live music venues like The Emerald Pub.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 32,347 times
Im from denver moving to tampa next year but i visit all the time and im 23 but i perfer upscale places. Channelside offers that over by harbor bay.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM

205 posts, read 989,682 times
Try Channelside, it's upscale over there....live music, bars, etc.
The clubs in Ybor are dirty and disgusting and full of trash....don't do Ybor after dark on a weekend night. The restaurants and the Muvico aren't so bad on a weekday night, however Ybor is still a less than desirable place after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Reading through some of the posts on the forum, I see that some feel there is a lack of nightlife in the area. Ybor City seems to offer bars and late night music, but seems that the feeling is that it's not particularly safe and is more of a young crowd. Also getting the impression that downtown Tampa is mostly a business district and shuts down after the work day is over. Is this the case? Are there areas in Tampa that offer late night dining, upscale bars, maybe live music, maybe bars or restaurants that offer both dining and music in an outdoor or patio setting after hours? What's the scene for the 30-something crowd who are past the "club" or drink til' you drop scene, but still like to go out for a drink, listen to some music, dance and stay out late once a week or so?

Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM

105 posts, read 550,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Some nightlife in Tampa but definitely needs some work. Orlando has a lot of bars/live music venues if you are looking that way and there are a lot of local bands that put on a lot of shows. The Social, Backbooth, Tanquerays(really cool, have to go downstairs to get in), The Mill, Hard Rock Live, House of Blues are good live music bars/venues. Wall Street Plaza(7 bars w/ live bands playing outside on weekends), Church Street(for clubs)
-Also every May they have the Florida Music Festival in Downtown Orlando which I definitely recommend, over 200 bands play for 3 days/ nights in May
-In Ybor Crow Bar puts on live shows along w/ the Orpheum but Ybor is not so desirable right now
Just giving detailed info b/c I'm a big fan of live local music
http://www.thesocial.org/
http://www.wallstplaza.net/
http://www.floridamusicfestival.com/2008/index.php

Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Ybor is hit and miss...since they closed Club Fuel, and are now opening more "lounge" type places instead of these mega clubs, there will be positive changes in the coming years. In Ybor check out James Joyce Pub, Green Iguana, the new Honey Pot, Club Czar, Level III, Double DOppler, Gaspar's Grotto, Rare Olive. Crow Bar, New World Brewery and Orpheum also have some great live music among the others I just listed.

More Uposcale is International Plaza with Blue Martini, Bar Louie, and a host of restaurants with outdoor patios.

Hyde Park/SOHO is a nother upscale scene with Mangroves, Hyde Park Cafe, and numerous dining along South Howard Avenue.

Lastly there is Channelside downtown, Stumps Supper Club, Howl at the Moon piano bar, Maragarita Mama's, Velvet Room, and in the downtown core, Fly Bar and on Harbour Island Jackson's Bistro.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
For something cool and unique check out Skippers Smokehouse... live bands, seafood, dancing, wetbar, etc... kind of like Haight-Asbury meets Key West... Thursday night is great and there are a lot of big names that play there... I love the place.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times
Fly bar in dwtwn Tampa is an awesome place to hang out. They have diff bands play and it's a great place to eat too. They have an upstairs patio which I hear is gorgeous. I personally didn't get to see it because it was raining the last time I was there but the reggae band they had playing that night was GREAT! And the decor and atmosphere is amazing.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM

979 posts, read 3,828,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
For something cool and unique check out Skippers Smokehouse... live bands, seafood, dancing, wetbar, etc... kind of like Haight-Asbury meets Key West... Thursday night is great and there are a lot of big names that play there... I love the place.
Where is this?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
Where is this?
SuziSu, its at the corner of Skipper Road and Nebraska... always live bands, reggae, rock, dead, new wave... the "arena" is outdoors in an unenclosed area but there is a large area that is covered too. Oysters, seafood, red stripes, the occasional scent of incense, ... great place to go... I've seen Spirit, Savoy Brown, John Mayall, New Riders of the Purple Sage, etc. there... haven't gotten to go in a couple of years but it needs to be sooner than later... great let your hair down if you still have it all kind of place... T&C

Last edited by The716; 12-22-2007 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: no good reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay