Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:46 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times

Advertisements

We have friends who winter in Dunedin and like it, but we haven't been there yet. Have also heard good things about the development going in in downtown St. Pete, but it has been many years since I have lived in a city. We will certainly be checking areas out before making any kind of move (especially with cats who do not travel well) but have been seeking ideas.

I grew up in Fort Myers and hated it. In those long-ago days, it seemed to have urban blight with no urban advantages; I hated traffic even as a girl. (Of course, a lot can change in forty years.)

Old 12-05-2014, 06:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Don't think $1000 will go far for rental housing downtown St Pete. But I believe there are ample volunteer opportunities and a music scene there as well as a satellite campus for USF. I like the area.....

Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 PM

434 posts, read 530,925 times
Winter Park? That's one of my favorite places in the whole state. It's very walkable, and is connected to the new commuter train Orlando just started and is still in the process of expanding. It goes to downtown now, and will also connect to the airport later on (which in turn will soon connect all the way to Miami) It flies under the radar, but is a great little town.

Dunedin is a good option for a small town close to the beach. Not as much transit though (just a rubber tire trolley), and only the small downtown area is really all that walkable. It's a very nice little downtown though, and is getting a couple of new developments that will make it even nicer.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:28 PM

434 posts, read 530,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan adventurer View Post
We just did the same, grew up in st Pete and moved to Alaska in 75, Bought on the south side of st pete last jan , Winter home only. Just spent first 60 days at the winter house. First thing I was not used to living in the city, South side of St. Pete has a bad rep but the area on the bay is very nice OLD FLORIDA. My escape is Tampa bay in a small boat tied to my dock. We are just a few blocks south of USF ST Pete. Plenty safe during the day not so much after dark (it is a city)
Downtown St Pete is Hopping for all ages, new hi end condos going up great Saturday market that I boat to, safer than were I live, There are some nice gated water front condos on CC (Waterside) that are 10 mints from downtown and a good buy, (We are not condo people)
Ha... I'm from PA but grew up in Tampa. Now in my 40s, I'm moving to Anchorage AK right after the New Year.

Going to make some money for a few years doing stuff up there in AK, and then probably alternate during the year between a place there or in Seattle, and the Tampa area.

Funny how many people I've encountered who have done, or are doing that. (My dad did it before too. Lived in AK for 23 years, then took the money and bought property in Florida in 2003. Sold it all in 2006-2007 at the top of the market. He's in PA now, hasn't had to work in years.)

Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
I'm going to suggest Dunedin or maaaybe Safety Harbor? However, I think the $ figure is going to be the issue.

Gulfport also sounds like it could work, although I'm not sure about the library or farmer's market part.

Where I really think fits all of your requirements is Asheville NC.

Last edited by SeaSpur; 12-06-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
We have friends in Asheville and like the town, but it still gets ice in the winter. (We may also consider staying put and just heading south for February.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay