Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 PM

734 posts, read 921,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
^That's not Clearwater.
He didn't even change the file name. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,403 times
Default love living in Dunedin

It depends what you do and why you moved. Growing up in New England and spending 15 years in Chicago, we were ready for a change. We go to the beach. We don't go everyday like you would while on vacation. If you work and have a house, you still have to mow the lawn, grocery shop, commute to work,etc. so it is not the routine you are in while on vacation. Having said that, going to the beach is a lot less hassle. We can decide spur of the moment to go even if it is to just take a walk or read for a few hours. We also don't live in an area that gets overrun by tourists in season so it is nice. We know people who only moved to be near the beach. They hated it after a year because where they chose to live was very transient with vacationers all year. You move to Fl for the lifestyle as well. We ride our bikes (even to the beach) and garden all year long. We also go to baseball games and the theater. Love the year long outdoor activities as well as the ocean breezes which kick in every afternoon. You won't get the breeze everywhere in FL either. Like I said, decide what is important to you.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 PM

490 posts, read 584,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
It's certainly different than how outsiders think it is...my family and friends back home in SC think we just get home from work and hop over to the beach every afternoon. Not true, we still have life in the way like everyone else and are tired and have a laundry list of things to do in the evenings.

With that said, the beauty in living here is that IF you do get the urge to hit the beach on a whim...it's very simply and feasible and doesn't take planning.

We spend a lot of time on the beach and boating, so this area is right up our alley. There is another world out there on a boat.
Are you joking? My Old Man is from Loris SC in Horry County. My Grandparents lived their entire married lives near Calabash NC on the state border. When I was a kid I used to love the Grand Strand. But its just crazy to say the area isn't tacky, gawdy , exploit in 2014. I avoid it like the plague. I've never seen anything like that in Floirda outside of Daytona (but not as bad), or Panama City Beach. The Grand Strand down to Georgetown SC is nothing but Atlantic City NJ south, at least Ocean City MD has a wooden boardwalk but they all fit in together.
I mean Pedro says "Taco shells south of the border 198 miles".

Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM

74 posts, read 180,587 times
Default Native Floridan that has been uprooted

All I personally can say is no we did not tire of it...when I grew up there we actually used to skip school to go to the beach. Not all the time, but we did it. Update now is ever since I left I have missed it every single day! Was it perfect? No nothing is. I like where I am now...do I want to move back? YES! Trying to convince hubby its time to go. He is from up north and is not a mover...I am. So all I can say in closing is you are going to like some things, and not like some others...just like everywhere else. For me I am looking for better weather, more amenities/options, lower taxes and still have a top rated school system. I have it boiled down to Ponte Vedra or South Tampa. Great schools, great amenities, a lot lower taxes then I have been paying for years, and just the scenery alone is leaps and bounds above what I have now.
There will be ppl that will point out good and bad wherever you ask about or say you are going, but so would you or me if we are asked where we are now. I hope you find a great place and no matter how long you stay there...have fun...if you need to change again then you do what you have to for your tastes.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2015, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 35,081 times
beachlulu --- we're considering Dunedin as one of our options when we relocate this summer. We're planning on leasing a property for the first year. Any opinions you can give me on neighborhoods and are you familiar with the high school at all? Thank you!

Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh22 View Post
Instead of asking the same questions about possibly relocating, I'm more curious about families that live in Tampa and the surrounding areas that may have relocated there.

Specifically, everyone thinks they love the beach because they vacation there. So how quickly after moving there do you no longer get excited about it? Or do you still go? Does the luster of vacationing to Florida quickly wear off once you live in a sub-tropical location, where you can access that stuff any day?

And how many of these relocators, so to speak, actually regret their decision after a humid summer or two, lots of bugs, little change of seasons?

Vacations are very different from moving, and this is what has me in binds as we think about our options.

Thanks for your honest thoughts.
I was never the biggest beach person to begin with before moving. Sure, it was nice every once in a while to go on vacation and walk in the sand/build castles for a while, but then after a little while it got kinda tiring. A few times I've gone and have either forgotten to wear sunscreen, or applied it and gotten burned anyways, and that sort of turned me off to it. Water is a nice view, but right now with traffic it almost takes me an hour to get there. Perhaps if I lived closer I would go more often. Also, it can be difficult to find non touristy beaches, which have hassle of paying for parking and the masses of people around/litter makes it a little difficult to "feel connected with nature. People where I'm from (and many places) make fun of Lake Erie and say it's polluted, but the reality is it isn't, and the more gentle waves make it easier for kayaking/stand up paddleboarding, and the fresh water/fewer waves is way better for swimming, at least for me. I even enjoy the bluffs/cliffs and nature forests which provide perfect panoramic hiking views, and walking out on ice/xc skiing in winter. I don't mind Florida, but the beach isn't a huge selling point for me , I have only been 3 times in last 2 years, and none were personal initiative. If Orlando could somehow trade with the north for rolling hills/deciduous forests/glacial formations, I would take it in a heartbeat

As someone who absolutely loves the outdoors/nature and all it has to offer, I have come to conclude that the two peak aspects of Florida beaches are surfing and relaxing. Perhaps sitting on the beach reading when it wasn't too bad weather wise would be cool though. I generally frequent Lake Eola Park, Wekiwa Springs, and Little Big Econ Forest and the UCF Quad/Arboretum way more often than the beach, FWIW.

Edit: Bugs, I hardly ever notice, at least not more than up north. Summers I hate though. When it's 35-40 degrees and wear a couple layers/am moving, I feel pretty comfortable. Can't say the same for about April 25th to October 20th in Florida, short of constantly dumping ice water on my head though. I enjoy running/biking though, and find I am able to stay fresh longer when temperature is somewhere in the 53-68 degree equilibrium, so I can't speak for everyone though.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM

152 posts, read 283,574 times
NO, we never tire of the beach.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 PM

472 posts, read 548,053 times
Going on year three and still love the beach. We go out there to fish and enjoy the view every weekend. Can't wait til it's warmer so we can get in the water.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 AM

67 posts, read 60,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers89 View Post
beachlulu --- we're considering Dunedin as one of our options when we relocate this summer. We're planning on leasing a property for the first year. Any opinions you can give me on neighborhoods and are you familiar with the high school at all? Thank you!
Well it was only a few years ago that Dunedin high school had a D rating. They've changed principals so that may have helped out or not. Nearby Palm Harbor has better rated schools.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:22 AM

67 posts, read 60,670 times
We used to enjoy the local beaches & we've been to several of them but since Hurricane Katrina we've noticed an influx of more people on them. Parking has become a great challenge unless you are aware of the smaller less well known beaches & where the parking is for them. It's not really a matter of being bored with the beach for us so much as that it's really changed a lot in since 05.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay