Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 PM

363 posts, read 433,269 times

Advertisements

From what I've seen, the apartments there are really cheap, and it's not too far away from Tampa. I am not too familiar with Florida, but I am curious why the apartments in temple terrace are cheaper than what I've seen in Tampa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 12:57 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Temple Terrace is surrounded by some of Tampa Bay's worst ghettos. However, it's important to stress that none of Tampa Bay's ghettos are even remotely as bad as South Chicago, the Bronx, South Central LA in the 1960s-1980s, etc.

It's a point of contention in this forum how nice and how safe Temple Terrace is. Use the City-Data search feature and read the old threads.

It makes a difference exactly where those apartments are.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Apartments will always be cheaper in tiny towns. The only exception I've seen is the price of apartments in Brandon.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Apartments will always be cheaper in tiny towns. The only exception I've seen is the price of apartments in Brandon.
"Tiny town" is a very strange way to describe Temple Terrace and Brandon. That's really odd.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:26 PM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
no.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:05 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,748,990 times
Temple Terrace has no city hall, there is no Mayor. It is ruled by the county of Hillsborough County. The city of Tampa has higher property taxes. So it will cost less to live in Hillsborough County area towns or Temple Terrace.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:29 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Temple Terrace has no city hall, there is no Mayor. It is ruled by the county of Hillsborough County. The city of Tampa has higher property taxes. So it will cost less to live in Hillsborough County area towns or Temple Terrace.
You may want to check your information.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Temple Terrace has less crime, by far, than most other areas of Tampa Bay. The most recent city-data stats shows it at about 15% below national average crime.

Temple Terrace has one of the most educated populations of not just Tampa Bay but even relative to other very good areas of the country. City-data shows in its latest figures (2012) the city population's educational attainment to be about 28% higher than Florida's average for a bachelor's degrees, nearly twice as many residents with master's degrees, nearly a third more professional degrees and double the doctorates.

Temple Terrace, merely 20 minutes to downtown Tampa, is bordered to the west by the lovely, rural town of Thonotosassa.

Temple Terrace is bordered to the north and northeast by the incredible 16,000-acre Lower Hillsborough Wilderness Preserve including various access points with parks, many miles of safe riding bike trails (both for roadies and for mountain biking), canoeing on the very best part of the Hillsborough River, etc.

Just north of that is placed for shopping and dining pleasures Tampa Palms and New Tampa. That's where we keep the big box stores and its traffic, out of town but within easy reach.

Temple Terrace is bordered to the west (on the north side of town) by the 1,700-acre USF main campus, one of the largest universities in the country. One the other side of USF which is the size of a good-sized town with about 40,000 students on that campus, are hospitals such as the VA, there's also Moffitt on the north side, a Shriner's hospital on campus and Florida Hospital over at Bruce B. Downs.
All the way on the other side of that city-sized campus and medical facilities is suitcase city, which is over towards the eastern borders of Carrollwood and Lake Magdalene.

Temple Terrace is bordered on the south by a wide section of the Hillsborough River with some residential on the Hillsborough but also an industrial looking section of 56th Street which runs down towards Hillsborough and I-4 and all that. It's actually a pretty good back road to get downtown, especially if there's any issues with I-75 or 275, both easily accessed from Temple Terrace, which probably has the very best access of any other town for commuters to both those major highways.

Temple Terrace is bordered to the west on the south end of town by a low cost residential area of Tampa, but also by some very nice homes on and near the river. I've checked on numerous occasions and the crime is in that area of Tampa is not bad, in fact, I when looking at stats I've always found much more crime in higher cost areas such as Hyde Park than I've ever found occurring there.

There is a county pocket of only I think it's about 3 blocks by 1 block just north of Fowler and just east of 56th which is not always kept very neat, but it is hidden away behind well kept businesses and even there crime is low according the county stats and the area seems ripe for redevelopment. It is surrounded by perfectly fine neighborhoods immediately adjacent in all directions.

Temple Terrace is an incorporated city within Hillsborough County with its own mayor, city council and even its own website. The millage rate paid in property taxes is slightly higher in TT (20.942) than Tampa (20.9279) but the quality of life is much higher, at least as judged by how few sexual offenders reside in TT, where according to city-data, "as of February 16, 2015. The ratio of number of residents in Temple Terrace to the number of sex offenders is 1,938 to 1." while in Tampa "as of February 16, 2015. The ratio of number of residents in Tampa to the number of sex offenders is 284 to 1"

I did in the past a sexual offender survey of much of Tampa Bay in another thread and will bump that one if I find it to illustrate the differences in quality of living as measured by parks, schools, etc., which limit where sexual offenders are allowed to reside and in that you'll see how truly wonderful Temple Terrace is, all the trolling misinformation by other posters aside.

If I find some other threads where lots of misinformation by other posters was corrected by showing proper stats, I might bump those as well for your reading pleasure.

Always being helpful.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 02-16-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM

53 posts, read 38,825 times
So this happened today\

http://www.tbo.com/news/crime/two-in...-lot-20150820/

Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardMan8 View Post
article: "A woman was killed and a man hospitalized this afternoon after a possible attempted murder-suicide attempt in a Temple Terrace parking lot, authorities said."

Well, that's pretty sad.

We look forward to your reporting all the other suicides around Tampa Bay as being reflective on whether or not any particular area is safe.

Here, I'll help you catch up...

Is Yachting in Tampa Bay Safe?

Eckerd rescue team finds Skyway jumper alive | Tampa Bay Times

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 08-20-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay