Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Clearwater, Florida in less than two weeks. It is very sudden and we had no time to prepare/research the city. We are used to beach traffic (lived in Myrtle Beach), but I hate all day long/all weekend long traffic. I am learning that is all Clearwater is, and will have to adjust, but I'm hoping someone can save my sanity a little bit with some good advice. My husband will work in southern Clearwater, close to Highpoint (is that a neighborhood?). We need some advice:

1. I need some realistic commute times. What is the commute time from Palm Harbor to Highpoint (A website said 21 minutes!) on a good day (normal day, off season tourism, etc) and on a bad day (beautiful weather, high season for tourism)? I would appreciate any other commute times for good districts/neighborhoods to live in (I've read good things about Safety Harbor and Dunedin?)
2. Any way to avoid (and by avoid I mean roads/highways) heavy traffic? Secret back roads only natives know? Specific highways? Time of day?
2. What are the "hubs" of the city to live in for good food, entertainment, respectable bars, etc?
3. Would appreciate any private school recommendations for children
4. Best place for seafood or a seafood monger? Those still around? Has that ever been a thing? Sorry, this Midwest girl knows nothin' about the sea and I always thought it would be really cool to go to a fish monger and buy fresh fish.
5. Nice neighborhoods seem to run at a hefty price. Any recommendations for older neighborhoods, but still a good neighborhood? We are not scared to clean and work on a house, but we don't want to invest in a house and it never sell because the neighborhood sucks.
6. How's the vibe of Clearwater, generally speaking? We're not party animals, but we're not hermits.
7. Lastly, and I am sorry if this is not the place, but I figured it's a forum and the people will speak: We are Christians and want to join a church, if you have any church recommendations. I prefer Episcopal, but I'm not terrible picky as long as the church isn't backwards or snake handlers

Thanks in advance (and I apologize for the exhaustive post),
Anndria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscarnell View Post
2. Any way to avoid (and by avoid I mean roads/highways) heavy traffic? Secret back roads only natives know? Specific highways?

7. Lastly, and I am sorry if this is not the place, but I figured it's a forum and the people will speak: We are Christians and want to join a church, if you have any church recommendations. I prefer Episcopal, but I'm not terrible picky as long as the church isn't backwards or snake handlers

Thanks in advance (and I apologize for the exhaustive post),
Anndria
2. Do you have a boat?
Because one factor in the Tampa Bay traffic is the presence of water, and the need for bridges, which cause bottlenecks. You are very wise to live close to work, if possible.

7. One of the largest political powers in the City of Clearwater is the Church of Scientology.
They are buying up lots of real estate, and seeking zoning changes, etc. Make any concerns about this known to your realtors.

I'm not in Clearwater, so I have no specific church recommendations there, but the area has many megachurches and people often drive from one county to another for them. I'm sure you will be able to find a satisfactory church with God's help. When I moved here, I visited 5 in 10 weeks, changed once and I'm in the right place now in Hillsborough county. Also, there are many Christian radio stations and they can be a source of church info, in addition to google and church websites. My drive-by impression of Clearwater is that it's full of churches. Have fun exploring them all.

Hopefully the rest of your questions will soon be answered by several actual Clearwater residents, I just drive thru on the way to the beach.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
If you are referring to this Highpoint you wont be inconvenienced by Clearwaters beach going traffic.Where you will get the traffic is that daily commute down highway 19
http://goo.gl/maps/Rmbfx

Old 04-03-2015, 05:23 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
The only Episcopal Church I'm familiar with is The Cathedral Church of St. Peter in downtown St. Pete. I'm not Episcopalian, but I sometimes attend the Choral Evensong. It IS a beautiful church but may be farther than you want to travel. Google says there's three Episcopalian churches in Clearwater.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,081,130 times
If he's working near High Point, my suggestion (if you are looking to buy - you did not specify) would be Feather Sound. Near to where he'll be working - older homes - nice neighborhood. It's in Clearwater just north of St Pete, near the St Pete airport. We looked at several houses there and really wanted to live there but it didn't work out for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay