Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You've got to stop mentioning that "no state tax"...because we have other costs that more than make up for not having that.
Who is going to want to "revive" an area full of low lives and crack addicts? & Where would these people that make the area suck go to? Who builds for the retirees who, in the case of NPR, are not "rich" to support such "businesses"?

THIS is not "creating an idea", this is an antiquated idea that only helps short term. If the area around whatever new place sucks, people won't flock to go. Same is slowly happening to Tarpon as the NPR crowds move south...

I agree that it's a shame, but you won't see "investors" or the "gov" rush to revive an area that has gained a bad reputation. If they were even slightly concerned with that, then Ybor would or should be the first to get a makeover.
Correct that no state incom tax is nothing to get excited about. They make it up in other fees higher auto and homeowner insurance, out of this world first time registration fees to transfer your car and get Florida plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:51 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
If you came from NYC...the no state income tax is worth getting excited about!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
I think eventually someone is come along and start buying properties up to develop and market them to help lure businesses but most of growth in Pasco is happening in the central part of county so no resources are being dedicated over there.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 AM

146 posts, read 184,985 times
Originally from PhotoproIp. "Who is going to want to "revive" an area full of low lives and crack addicts? & Where would these people that make the area suck go to? Who builds for the retirees who, in the case of NPR, are not "rich" to support such ".

there are a lot of people here who are just plain honest hard working people and retirees. I resent being called a low life/ drug user, both of which I am not. Are there drugs and low life people here? Of course. Just like everywhere else in main stream USA. At least I feel very comfortable walking my dog at 3 am, alone, in my nongated neighborhood. Can u say the same? JI looked at a place they r going to build in the venerated Dunedin area ( due to the housing concept) and I know I would have been scared out of my mind to walk my dog after dark.

My point is that all the hatred of NPR and west NPR is misplaced. NPR has to somehow dispell that reputation as they move forward. There r plans to redo sims park. Downtown at the moment is somewhat empty but I've been noticing the buildings are getting fixed up more. it is a cute downtown and does have the ingredients to take off

Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM

150 posts, read 393,076 times
deb18, you are the perfect local "stakeholder" to help change the momentum of NPR. I live 20 miles away and while I had a moment there in NPR, imagining a store on Main Street of some sort, (I got the vision last summer from a store owner of a "new-age" type gift shop in Florence, Oregon. She lived there in the summer in an apartment above the store, and had some type of snow mobiling business in Colorado in winter. Cool lifestyle,) but I am too far away to travel to NPR city council meetings, etc., and I have no real stake in the area. But you live there and have a stake in your home's value and quality of life. I took a few courses on community planning and we studied various towns or impoverished areas that had sucessful revivals. It took determined local residents who put pressure on elected officials to partner with them to better their area. (Yeah, I know, I have little faith in them, but they do have a modicum of power and funds.) You could get a few of your neighbors or friends to do the same; most people NEVER make an appointment and speak to their representatives face-to-face, but that's what they are there for, in theory, and because so few people ever speak to them, your voice becomes that more powerful. Even just asking for their position on the revitalization of NPR helps; ask for concrete plans and hold them to it. Go to the city council meetings, make an appointment with your local police chief, start a neighborhood watch if there is a suspicion of the criminal activity some posted about. I'm just throwing ideas out there, but that is what it takes: imagination and determination. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 855 times
I've been watching the posts and forums since my fiancé moved to NPR a couple of months ago. He needed to be closer to his family and wants me to join him. He did state that the area was filled with "riff-raff" and I have been doing a lot of research because I need to have adequate employment (professional). Although I want to join him, the research I'm finding has yielded some less than positive information.

RE-gentrification and neighborhood turn around can occur and it does occur - there has to be plenty of buy-in and a reason for solid stakeholders to remain or relocate as the case might be.
Kudos to the new sheriff - however arrests and even convictions will not stem the plagues associated with drug use. It's a tough issue and has been said in the forums, many cities have the same problems.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:37 PM

I posted this thread and I just happened upon this site as I was looking for parking in Tarpon Springs for an event on their Main Street. Where there is a will, there is a way; Main Street NPR could be revived. I almost went to NPR today just for their Off Market Cafe's quiche, totally yum, but there was no other incentive to drive the distance.

About Us - Destination Main Streets - Shopping, Dining, Events, and Attractions

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 AM

146 posts, read 184,985 times
Have u been to dulcet? Its wonderful. There's a $29 early special. Mon- thurs. going again this week

Old 04-26-2015, 05:42 PM

No, but I was there again this weekend for the festival in Sim's Park, and, as always, I went for the quiche at the Market Off Main Cafe. I chatted with the server who gave me your local Suncoast Newspaper. I put the link below for an article that speaks to the Community Redevelopment Agency's (CRA) plans for NPR and it seems like they are right on target and have great plans and hopes for the area. It also gives a few names of representatives who might make a good starting point of contact if one were interested in becoming active in the process.

BTW, I went on a short (45 min) boat tour of the Cotee River and had no idea NPR had movie stars of days gone by who helped put the place on the map. Fascinating! Also, again, compliments of that cafe, I was given the postcard ad for M.O.M.'s Friday Night Market 5-9pm. It looks like it is an open air market of all sorts of things. I think I am going to make a ladies night of it and have dinner there too. I sound like a commercial for NPR, but I am really starting to like the place!

Apartment conversion could revive Main Street Landing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay