Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 AM

279 posts, read 508,449 times

Advertisements

Tried again with chunks of squid. Kept on catching Gafftopsail Catfish. Fun to catch but a pia to unhook even while using circles.

Either way my 6 year old son caught his first fish ever. It was a double header catfish. The look on his face because he hooked them and reeled them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:47 AM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
I take my kids to the Dunedin causeway under the bridges and using small panfish hook with bits of squid, they'll catch a bunch of pigfish and spots all day. Makes for good bait for the bigger fishies.
I just got me a cast net for some bait fish. Saw a couple guys there pulling in good size mackerels with them - bucket full after just a few hours. Just haven't had time to head back out there yet to give it a run.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I take my kids to the Dunedin causeway under the bridges and using small panfish hook with bits of squid, they'll catch a bunch of pigfish and spots all day. Makes for good bait for the bigger fishies.
I just got me a cast net for some bait fish. Saw a couple guys there pulling in good size mackerels with them - bucket full after just a few hours. Just haven't had time to head back out there yet to give it a run.

No kidding I only fish the Dunedin Causeway. I saw some guys over the weekend with some big macks.

I have to start going to the larger fish.

The bridge area seems to be the busier areas.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:28 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
Tried again with chunks of squid. Kept on catching Gafftopsail Catfish. Fun to catch but a pia to unhook even while using circles.

Either way my 6 year old son caught his first fish ever. It was a double header catfish. The look on his face because he hooked them and reeled them in.
That is all you will get with dead bait around the bay is catfish and other prick fish as i call em. Now soak a whole de spined catfish or mullet and you could get a tarpon in some better areas.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
That is all you will get with dead bait around the bay is catfish and other prick fish as i call em. Now soak a whole de spined catfish or mullet and you could get a tarpon in some better areas.
Thanks for the info.

For now I'm perfectly happy fishing for whatever as long as I'm fishing. LOL

My next step is cast netting and setting up a Kayak for fishing.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 AM

472 posts, read 547,716 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

For now I'm perfectly happy fishing for whatever as long as I'm fishing. LOL

My next step is cast netting and setting up a Kayak for fishing.
I hear ya....a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.
The awesome thing about fishing in Florida is you will catch something, it's more of tweaking your skill to catch a certain type of fish. When I was living up north, a lot of fishing trips turn out to be get on a lake, drown some worms, drink beer, and go home empty handed. Still a great fishing trip then.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I hear ya....a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.
The awesome thing about fishing in Florida is you will catch something, it's more of tweaking your skill to catch a certain type of fish. When I was living up north, a lot of fishing trips turn out to be get on a lake, drown some worms, drink beer, and go home empty handed. Still a great fishing trip then.
I finding that out Hokie. I fished New England and owned an offshore fishing boat but I tell ya going 50 miles hurts the wallet too. I'll continue to learn onshore before doing the kayak or small bay boat thing.

Was at Oldsmar Flea market and there's a fishing store there. Wow is all I have to say. LOL

Any suggestions for fishing charters on a bigger boat? Not a 6 pack boat but one of the big ones you see where they do mostly bottom fishing. My father is coming up this week and I wouln't mind taking him and my son out.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2015, 02:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:

Was at Oldsmar Flea market and there's a fishing store there. Wow is all I have to say. LOL
"Wow" as in it's a great place or "wow" it was lacking?

Old 11-10-2015, 02:22 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
"Wow" as in it's a great place or "wow" it was lacking?
Its a pretty good tackle shop. Mostly liquidation type stuff (affiliated w/ Southeastern Fishing Tackle Liquidators).

Old 11-10-2015, 04:25 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
I finding that out Hokie. I fished New England and owned an offshore fishing boat but I tell ya going 50 miles hurts the wallet too. I'll continue to learn onshore before doing the kayak or small bay boat thing.

Any suggestions for fishing charters on a bigger boat? Not a 6 pack boat but one of the big ones you see where they do mostly bottom fishing. My father is coming up this week and I wouln't mind taking him and my son out.

Thanks
I worked all the party boats for years back in the 80's. The Double eagle is good out of Clearwater. They run half and all day trips. Back in the 80's they ran 11 hour offshore trips everyday 60 to 100 miles offshore. Those were the good days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay