Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 8,125 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating from Cincinnati to Tampa. From what I can see online, the Port Tampa City neighborhood looks good based on several factors: reasonable housing cost, historical type homes (I'd like to buy a historic home and gut/renovate it), proximity to good schools (Plant in particular), proximity to the beach (a nearby park some call a hidden gem). Also, I'd be working in the Carrollwood area, so my commute appears to be in the opposite direction of the morning/evening congestion.

Also, it looks like a charming area based on Google street view. I've not been to the area, so I'm curious to know how that area actually is (in other words, are the aforementioned observations actually true), as the lower housing prices are a bit of a red flag. Would you say that this is a good area to purchase a home? Is it an up-and-coming area, an area that is a bit run down and needs a little TLC, or is it crime-ridden, etc.? Are there nice shops, restaurants, etc., within walking distance? Also, since it's close to the air force base, is noise a problem?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,215 times
I love P.T. but gotta be honest w/ you... It can be a little rough down there. Not really any shopping/restaurants to walk to. Robinson is the High School, not Plant. Picnic Island is a nice park w/ a beach but its on the bay, not like the Beach's on the Gulf.
There are some beautiful old houses down there.
Its known as a rough part of town though.
You will hear noise all day from planes at the base.
If you want to re-hab a house I would consider Seminole Heights or Tampa Heights or Riverside Heights. Those areas are closer to your work as well.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your response. What makes it a rough part of town? Is it a bit run down, or is crime an issue?

I've considered those areas, but the number of investors/"flippers" in those areas seem to have driven prices up and out of my range. As an alternative, what about the Grant Park area? Is that area better than Port Tampa City?

And, you mentioned Robinson would be the HS instead of Plant. Are there "school choice" options in Tampa, or does it go strictly by location/district?

Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,006,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnToCincinnati View Post
Thanks for your response. What makes it a rough part of town? Is it a bit run down, or is crime an issue?

I've considered those areas, but the number of investors/"flippers" in those areas seem to have driven prices up and out of my range. As an alternative, what about the Grant Park area? Is that area better than Port Tampa City?

And, you mentioned Robinson would be the HS instead of Plant. Are there "school choice" options in Tampa, or does it go strictly by location/district?

Thanks again.
There is School choice but only way you can choice into a regular school like Plant is if it has room, Plant is a t capacity, so are most schools really going choice to a good traditional school is close to impossible, however you could go to a Magnet school, actually the highest rated HS academic program in the Tampa bay area is Robinson High IB which you could choice into assuming you have the grades, a lot of Plant kids go to Robinson.
Grant Park is worse than Port Tampa, while Port Tampa has a chance to gentrify, it is in fact already in process on the east side, what makes Port of Tampa rough, crime is certainly higher, the socio-economics of the area dont help, you have run down houses, run down apartments, lower rank enlisted air force kids. I guess you can do worse in fact Grant Park would be.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:39 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
while Port Tampa has a chance to gentrify, it is in fact already in process on the east side
I am really curious to see what happens to the entire area when the port itself starts developing it's portion of Channelside.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:13 AM

769 posts, read 829,623 times
It's not really a good area, fairly high crime, and not quite sure where you are seeing "charming" houses. Most of the old houses in that area are pretty run down.

The old city hall is a library now, and nice, the rest of the area sucks. You can't "choice" into Plant either. It's full. You can't even "hardship choice" into it. You know how many "connected" people try to do this and fail?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:58 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
It's not really a good area, fairly high crime, and not quite sure where you are seeing "charming" houses. Most of the old houses in that area are pretty run down.

The old city hall is a library now, and nice, the rest of the area sucks. You can't "choice" into Plant either. It's full. You can't even "hardship choice" into it. You know how many "connected" people try to do this and fail?
I agree its kind of a rough area but there are some nice, old victorian style houses down there around Interbay.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,006,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I am really curious to see what happens to the entire area when the port itself starts developing it's portion of Channelside.
I always get the names confused, we are talking about Port Tampa, which is the area immediately north west of the base, next to Picnic Island. Port of Tampa if the area south of Ikea, off the causeway before you get to the bridge taking you into East Tampa, that area I would imagine has lots of potential, prime continuation for Channelside and Ybor, its probably a ways out though, there is still a lot of land in Channelside to develop, they should do a parking structure over one of the lots, then turn the rest of lots to green space, there is that industrial area that will probably go away once the real estate prices make it profitable for them to move, then you have all of southern Ybor that never really took off, they built some stuff on the northern side some houses and condos, that area is pretty nice despite what people who never go there claim.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM

OK, so it sounds like Grant Park is no bueno. Back to Port Tampa City... I guess my theory is, the peninsula is only so big, and since South Tampa seems to be the place to be, it's only a matter of time until all of the amenities currently in Hyde Park, etc., migrate into Port Tampa City, no? And, I'd rather get in before that while prices are still relatively low.

So, since the schools in that area sound great, and the area is just a bit rundown as opposed to "the hood", I'm thinking that might be a great area for me to end up. Good schools would seem to give the area a leg up on others like Seminole Heights, etc., no?

Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM

769 posts, read 829,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnToCincinnati View Post
OK, so it sounds like Grant Park is no bueno. Back to Port Tampa City... I guess my theory is, the peninsula is only so big, and since South Tampa seems to be the place to be, it's only a matter of time until all of the amenities currently in Hyde Park, etc., migrate into Port Tampa City, no? And, I'd rather get in before that while prices are still relatively low.
ABSOLUTELY NOT... have you actually visited the area?? I take it not. That area will NEVER be hyde park. The area is just not conducive to it.

For the record, "the amenities of Hyde Park" dont really exist anywhere else in Tampa, it's a fairly unique area.

Quote:
So, since the schools in that area sound great, and the area is just a bit rundown as opposed to "the hood", I'm thinking that might be a great area for me to end up. Good schools would seem to give the area a leg up on others like Seminole Heights, etc., no?

The schools in the area are not the best...

Seriously, look elswehere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay