Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 5,970 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 26 year old female who works remotely. I am looking for an apartment to rent. Preferably a two bedroom for when friends and families visit in a dog friendly neighborhood. I have a car so an area that is easy to get to shops, supermarkets, malls, restaurants, the gym, etc (15-20 minute drive). Close to beautiful beaches, 30-45 minutes drive. I know that areas that are within walking distance from the beach may be far away from shopping areas (but if you know of a town, let me know).

I am looking for areas that have a lot of social options and events. Advice from people who have moved from NYC to Tampa. Areas to avoid in Tampa. It doesn't matter to me if the town is historic or new.

If you think of a city in Florida other than Tampa, let me know. I've heard Sarasota and St. Petersburg are also nice areas. I am definitely open to suggestions. Max that I am willing to pay is $1500. I would prefer a bungalow type of apartment but I am open to high rises. It depends on the amenities of the complex. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM

170 posts, read 234,166 times
If you want a more relaxed vibe downtown Sarasota is cool but it's a little slower than Tampa or Orlando. I would check out Downtown St. Pete (Kenwood, The Edge District) or Channelside/Harbour Island in Tampa. Lots of opportunities to network and mingle. There's always an event or something going on at Curtis Hixon park, and outdoor bar Sail Pavilion near the convention center.

There's also the SoHo area if you want a more "trendy" part of town. It does have a slight frat vibe to it due to the proximity of the University of Tampa but also close to local restaurants, and bars.

Seminole Heights is cool as well more of a transitional, up-and-coming area there's Warehouse Lofts opening shortly and a thriving food scene.

I'm 25 and relocated to Westchase it's ok, there's the Tampa Bay Trail and proximity to the airport, but there's lots of families and not too many opportunities to network, or go out (Applebees). The bedroom communities are slightly more affordable rent-wise (Wesley Chapel, Westchase, Brandon, New Tampa) but you sacrifice accessibility to action as a twenty-something. I figure once my lease is up to relocate back into the city. Good Luck! Come down and visit all of the cities you've mentioned and even check out Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Channelside/Harbour Island in Tampa.
I'd avoid Channelside for the next couple of years. There is going to be a LOT of construction going on in that area. Granted, once it's done, it will easily be the nicest part of town. I would second Seminole Heights if you like the trendy restaurants, cool bars, and upcoming areas. It's where I intend to move myself once I start at USF.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,953 times
We also work remotely and moved from Westchester County, NY to Dunedin. I would go with St. Pete. We go there every week. Great feel, walkable, bikeable and very clean unlike Midtown Manhattan.

By moving to St. Pete you will have access to Clearwater Beach, Honeymoon Island and Siesta beach in Sarasota. You will have access to Trader Joe's but no Whole Foods. There are some crappy hood areas but sooner or later they will disappear.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Considering you too are from NY, might as well join the rest of the "Manhattan" population in St. Pete! You'll feel right at home!

Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM

45 posts, read 57,264 times
Downtown St. Pete is the way to go. Walkable,. Closer to the beaches than Tampa. Tons of bungalow style houses. 26 is a good age for St. Pete (Tampa's SoHo and Ybor draw the college crowd).

Old 11-05-2015, 01:56 PM

769 posts, read 830,758 times
What exactly do you mean by "dog friendly neighborhood"?

Do you expect to be able to let your dog just roam freely? I don't know any neighborhoods that you can do that in. Conversely, I don't know any openly hostile towards dogs neighborhoods too.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 5,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "dog friendly neighborhood"?

Do you expect to be able to let your dog just roam freely? I don't know any neighborhoods that you can do that in. Conversely, I don't know any openly hostile towards dogs neighborhoods too.
I thought that "dog friendly neighborhood" was pretty self-explanatory and commonly used term. Dog friendly means that dogs are welcomed. A lot of neighborhoods have dog parks, some businesses have water bowls outside their shops.

No responsible dog owner is going to allow their dog to "just roam freely."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay