Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:30 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,384,782 times

Advertisements

She most likely did not teach in the magnet part. Very different environment.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
She most likely did not teach in the magnet part. Very different environment.

RM
True. She did not.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
True. She did not.
And therein lies the problem. The magnet programs are isolated from the general population of the school, which creates some serious tension between the groups. They share common areas like the cafeteria, so there are often conflicts in these parts of the school between the two groups.

It's like when they used to bus kids from East Tampa out to the suburbs. I worked in one of the A+ rated suburban schools who had a bus load of "satellite" students brought in daily. I clearly recall a neighborhood parent saying to me one day, "I don't understand why they are so angry."

Hmm.

I pointed out to them, "If you got shipped out of your neighborhood daily and sent to another place where the people were much better off than you, then at the end of the day you were sent back to your neighborhood, where having a stable home life, regular meals and no crime were the exception rather than the rule, wouldn't you be angry?"

'nuf said.

RM

Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And therein lies the problem. The magnet programs are isolated from the general population of the school, which creates some serious tension between the groups. They share common areas like the cafeteria, so there are often conflicts in these parts of the school between the two groups.

It's like when they used to bus kids from East Tampa out to the suburbs. I worked in one of the A+ rated suburban schools who had a bus load of "satellite" students brought in daily. I clearly recall a neighborhood parent saying to me one day, "I don't understand why they are so angry."

Hmm.

I pointed out to them, "If you got shipped out of your neighborhood daily and sent to another place where the people were much better off than you, then at the end of the day you were sent back to your neighborhood, where having a stable home life, regular meals and no crime were the exception rather than the rule, wouldn't you be angry?"

'nuf said.

RM
Agree. But if I had the choice to send my child to a school with a magnet program not mixed in with the troubled kids or a school with a largely untroubled population, the latter would win all the time, hands down. I taught for several years in an inner city public school in Memphis. It took YEARS before my students learned to trust me because I was white, and even then I knew they'd probably knife me if it came between me and something they really wanted. I KNOW what goes on in those kinds of places, and back then I vowed do whatever it took to keep my kids away from that kind of environment.

I would NEVER want my kid to be surrounded by violence, swear words, and wicked behavior throughout the school day. Most parents would feel the same. Is this elitist? Probably. But my child's safety and well-being is one of the most important things to me.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 PM

769 posts, read 830,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
I would NEVER want my kid to be surrounded by violence, swear words, and wicked behavior throughout the school day. Most parents would feel the same. Is this elitist? Probably. But my child's safety and well-being is one of the most important things to me.

I would agree with this. Even if the magnet kids are kind of separate from the rest of the kids most of the day, i'm sure there's enough fights and violence which spills over to the magnet kids, no thanks

So on a serious note, this endeavor has shown me that it appears Hillsborough County purposely puts "magnet" programs in inner city schools. After realizing this, is it JUST to artificially prop up school grades? It appears that way. So you have a school which is 70% inner city kids just going through the motions and failing and 30% magnet kids getting A's?

Seriously? And no one has caught on to this?

Blake
Middleton
Leto
King

All pretty much "hood" schools

Even Robinison and Jefferson are borderline

Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
I would agree with this. Even if the magnet kids are kind of separate from the rest of the kids most of the day, i'm sure there's enough fights and violence which spills over to the magnet kids, no thanks

So on a serious note, this endeavor has shown me that it appears Hillsborough County purposely puts "magnet" programs in inner city schools. After realizing this, is it JUST to artificially prop up school grades? It appears that way. So you have a school which is 70% inner city kids just going through the motions and failing and 30% magnet kids getting A's?

Blake
Middleton
Leto
King

There is no secret about this, it's been this way since the inception of the magnet school program.

This was HCPS' way to comply with the federal desegregation rulings from the 1970s. There was nothing in the least done to disguise or sugar coat it. It has nothing to do with school grades, it's all about demographics. The schools are graded separately despite being physically together. Middleton HS gets a grade based on the neighborhood students, Middleton Magnet gets a grade based on the magnet school students.

For what it's worth, this was one of MaryEllen's first big administrative jobs, too. Not that it matters.

The really sad thing is that while it skews the numbers to show that there are white students being schooled in neighborhoods of color, so to speak, it just continues the "haves/have nots" environment due to the way it's structured.

Also, the magnets don't have a lot of parental involvement due to the locations and logistics. If you live in New Tampa and your child attends Progress Village Magnet school of the Arts, you're probably not going to traipse across town on a weeknight to attend a PTA meeting, are you? Not to mention the concerns about safety in the neighborhood.

My son attended Progress Village in a special ed program before it went magnet. It was great because enrollment was really low, so his program had plenty of room and was isolated from the rest of the students (a good thing so there weren't any behavior problems.) The School District came in and told us his program was being moved because they needed the space for the magnet school. His program had just been moved there the year before from Eisenhower. No way.

We met with the Area Director and asked them what a regular middle school student would expect as far as being moved between schools in the three years of middle school. "Uh, not at all, typically."

"Then I guess you won't be moving the program, will you?"

They left it in place. So much for doing things "for the kids". :roll eyes:

RM

Old 11-21-2015, 04:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

Blake
Middleton
Leto
King

It's not a grades thing, it's a demographic compliance thing, the magnet grades are separate from the regular school grade in terms of fldoe accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: