Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy condos in Riverview can anyone please tell me about this area and if it would be a good idea!.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM

85 posts, read 101,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey323 View Post
We are looking to buy condos in Riverview can anyone please tell me about this area and if it would be a good idea!.
Thank you

The area is not bad, close to Tampa and St Pete. There isn't a lot to do there unless you go to either Tampa or St Pete. Condos along 75 off Progress Blvd are in the range of 55-65K ( 1200 sq ft ) and if you go up to Providence section it is a bit more pricey, 140-170 range but 1400 to 1700 in sq ft. It is really depending on how far away you want to be from Tampa. You need to figure that out first. My preference is to be closer to activity. I have to say that the HOA fees are a lot lower so if you on a tight budget this area might work for you

Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
I live here. It's nice in most areas and safe.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:30 PM

201 posts, read 237,922 times
Are you buying to live in or for rentals? Some areas in Riverview are near some "not so nice" areas and some nice areas. So choose wisely. Visit the area before committing.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhHah View Post
Are you buying to live in or for rentals? Some areas in Riverview are near some "not so nice" areas and some nice areas. So choose wisely. Visit the area before committing.
That part of your Quote can be said about pretty much all of florida. Florida is know for having the 500K house across the street from the Trailer park. Its whats gives Florida its charm.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:20 PM

91 posts, read 132,037 times
If you have kids, the schools are wildly different across the Riverview area. The bad schools are really bad, the good ones are just okay. Eisenhower middle school is like a warzone, I hear. Rodgers middle school let one special needs girl wander off and drown in a retention pod...another 13-year-old girl got raped in the bathroom. Right next door to that, Barrington middle school is wonderful, and Randall provides a great education, but is a racist, homophobic nightmare.

Naturally, you get more house for your money in the bad school districts.

Otherwise, if you like big-box stores, franchised restaurants, cookie-cutter houses, and a congested commute to Tampa, Riverview is perfect. It's like all the New Yorkers came and created South Long Island.

Sorry for sugar-coating it. Yes, we live in Riverview.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
Some good schools to consider in Riverview are Collins Elementary (A schoool), Kids Community College, Winthrop Charter. I hear there is a new South Shore Middle Charter school coming this fall to Big Bend Rd so it'll be interesting to see how it does academically. I am hoping it will be a nice alternative to Eisenhower. My kids go to a Magnet school on the Tampa/Riverview border and I LOVE it! I like Riverview for the most part EXCEPT not being close to some of the things you mentioned. We do not have many big-box stores or franchise restaurants. Everything else you said is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlenoggin View Post
If you have kids, the schools are wildly different across the Riverview area. The bad schools are really bad, the good ones are just okay. Eisenhower middle school is like a warzone, I hear. Rodgers middle school let one special needs girl wander off and drown in a retention pod...another 13-year-old girl got raped in the bathroom. Right next door to that, Barrington middle school is wonderful, and Randall provides a great education, but is a racist, homophobic nightmare.

Naturally, you get more house for your money in the bad school districts.

Otherwise, if you like big-box stores, franchised restaurants, cookie-cutter houses, and a congested commute to Tampa, Riverview is perfect. It's like all the New Yorkers came and created South Long Island.

Sorry for sugar-coating it. Yes, we live in Riverview.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
Riverview has exploded in growth the past 10 years. Huge melting pot of mostly northeastern/Midwest people but also tampa natives getting out of bad neighborhoods, retirees and immigrants. Everything stalled in 2008 but its ramped up again the past few years. It is the epicenter for transients looking for cheap new housing. Interpret that as you may. Generally its lower income families. Ive heard horror stories of depreciating homes due to neighborhoods turning bad. There are more attractive options for those with stable, growing incomes. Fishhawk would be one but that location is far from ideal for most. Wesley Chapel in pasco is the other mecca for cheaper new housing but its more expensive and the commute into tampa is impossible during rush hour. Riverview's location is fine, I would say great, in regards to tampa, no real issues commuting. Ive commuted from my parents house occasionally which is south of there using 75 and the selmon to just over the howard franklin in st pete and its 45 mins unless theres an accident. Downtown tampa would be a breeze from riverview.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,243,604 times
OP - you didn't mention your budget, the $$ you have to spend will determine the type of neighborhood you'd find.

We just moved to Riverview (new community on Big Bend Road) from Chicago area (the usual reasons). Anyways, there is no "big box" stores just down the block, but there's still plenty of stores to choose from within a reasonable drive. It's not Tampa but that's part of the charm that drew us to Riverview. Not in the thick of it with all the traffic, yet close enough to get to where we want to go when we need to.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:36 AM

91 posts, read 132,037 times
Big Box stores in/near Riverview (Riverview, Valrico, Gibsonton, Sun City Center):
Sam's Club
Wal-Mart (3 or 4 of 'em)
Target
Lowe's
Home Depot

The majority of restaurants are franchise places. Independently owned places just don't seem to get a following and last long. Just at the Big Bend/301 area is:
Applebee's
Subway
McDonald's
Village Inn
Sonic
Wendy's
Qdoba
Quizno's
Buffalo Wild Wings
Panera Bread
Godfather's Pizza
Papa John Pizza
Pita Republic
Burger King
CiCi's Pizza

Independent places there:
Mi Casa Mexican Restaurant
Sakura Japanese Steakhouse
F&J's Cafe Italia
Asian Yummy House
China Taste
Peck's Chicken
Little Habana

So there are some, but they're in the minority. It's definitely easier to find a chain restaurant or than an independent place with character. If I wanted my money to go to local business owners, it'd be hard to consistently do that. Go over to the St. Pete Beach side of things, and the reverse is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay