Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times

Advertisements

https://rootsrated.com/stories/the-1...rlando-runners

Just out of curiosity, does Tampa, and when I say Tampa, I mostly mean Dade City and rural Pasco County, have something similar to what is mentioned in this article?

I know that Alafia River State Park is supposed to have pretty good terrain filled trails, however, unfortunately I haven't gotten there yet. Likewise, I haven't even had the chance to go to Dade City yet, nor take the Withlacoochee State Bike Trail just north of town there.

Is there one particular hill in that area that is especially prominent over the surrounding area, or any that happen to be part of a trail and not a main road? Orlando has Sugarloaf, which is 312', but has 245' of prominence, which gives a very impressive vantage point for seeing Lake Apopka and the Orlando skyline. Probably a good place to watch a sunrise or have a picnic except you'd almost have to park in someone's front yard to do so... Clay Hill (Clay Hill Road, I believe), is the highest in the area at 301', but I don't know if that's the best view.

I will say that bridges offer a pretty good hill workout and viewline, The Ringling Bridge in Sarasota is a great workout/rewarding view going both ways and the Sunshine Skyway is always a pleasure to drive.

I know that in South Florida, they've actually turned some of the larger landfills into parks:
Vista View Park
We actually have some natural terrain that is higher, but could something like that be done with the bigger ones that are in the Riverview/Progress Village area?

Lastly, I know that Native American Mounds are not only amazing historical accomplishments/legacies, but do offer overlooks, and actually bring unique birds/plants to that particular spot. I know that I've personally been to Madira Bickel, but has anyone been to Philippe Park in Safety Harbor, or any of the others? Discovering the Indian Mounds of Tampa Bay | Bay Soundings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay