Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,387 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

This forum is a great resource, I have been lurking for the past 2 months. After much discussion, me and the wife has decided to make the move to Tampa. Next Spring, my family, (wife, 6 year old daughter, and 9 month old lab-border collie mix dog) will be relocating from Staten Island New York to Tampa. My new office will be located somewhere near the Tampa Airport, a google map search states that the drive will be about 40 minutes coming from FishHawk Ranch (this area in particular is our number one choice, alongside Westchase). With traffic added into the equation, will this drive be closer to 90 minutes or so? Will this commute be a nightmare? Haha. I can work from home 2-3 days a week, so I wont have to trek into the office daily. Thanks in advance everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 PM

212 posts, read 286,546 times
Westchase would be much much closer than FishHawk. I have some one in my office downtown that moved here and rented in FishHawk for the first few months. He hated the commute, which was about 60 to 75 minutes. From what he said there are only 2 roads to get you toward downtown. He loved the area but hated the commute. He recently bought a house in Valerico right off the Cross-Town and now loves his commute.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Just be careful balancing your commute with the uncontained airport noise. TPA has grown to strafe nearby communities starting from 5:30 AM. I think Westchase might be safe (maybe you'll need earplugs).

Old 04-18-2016, 04:26 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor_clegane View Post
Greetings everyone,

This forum is a great resource, I have been lurking for the past 2 months. After much discussion, me and the wife has decided to make the move to Tampa. Next Spring, my family, (wife, 6 year old daughter, and 9 month old lab-border collie mix dog) will be relocating from Staten Island New York to Tampa. My new office will be located somewhere near the Tampa Airport, a google map search states that the drive will be about 40 minutes coming from FishHawk Ranch (this area in particular is our number one choice, alongside Westchase). With traffic added into the equation, will this drive be closer to 90 minutes or so? Will this commute be a nightmare? Haha. I can work from home 2-3 days a week, so I wont have to trek into the office daily. Thanks in advance everyone.
Depending on the time of day, 40 minutes is realistic, probably more like 45.

If you can go during off peak hours, like before 7:00 am, for example, it's not bad at all. Not a nightmarish drive if you use the Crosstown and cut over to I-4/I-275 even during peak times, but it will be longer than that. No way it would ever be anywhere near 90 minutes, unless there was a wreck or major problem.

Fishhawk is a much better choice than Westchase, although I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying so.

RM

Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,005 times
I prefer Fishhawk over Westchase, but that commute would be awful. Easily an hour in traffic. However, if you're only going into the office 2 days a week it might be worth it to live in Fishhawk.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 PM

I commute from that general area daily, and it's nowhere near an hour as long as you're not going at peak times.

I go to work at 6:00 am, and it's around 30 minutes to downtown using the Crosstown express lanes. If I was going to the airport I would take the Crosstown local lanes and the connector to I-4. From there it's another 10 minutes to the airport, so call it 40.

After 7:00 am, I could see it being an hour if traffic is really heavy.

RM

Old 04-19-2016, 07:42 AM

7 posts, read 7,387 times
many thanks for the feedback everyone! we are still open to other neighborhoods (New Tampa Palms, Carrollwood, Citrus Park), so we will definitely leverage all of this data when making a final decision. very excited for this transition, ive lived in NYC for over 3 decades, so we are ready for a complete change. got to spend some time in the Vineyards in Westchase and really fell in love with the area.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:23 AM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor_clegane View Post
got to spend some time in the Vineyards in Westchase and really fell in love with the area.
To their credit, they have a comprehensive and mostly open website The Vineyards at Westchase. A residential community in Tampa, Florida

A red flag for me is an association that hides almost all information behind a login.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
To their credit, they have a comprehensive and mostly open website The Vineyards at Westchase. A residential community in Tampa, Florida

A red flag for me is an association that hides almost all information behind a login.
Their bylaws and covenants are public record. Have to be by law.

The Vineyards at Westchase. A residential community in Tampa, Florida

Web site is pretty dated.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay