Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:50 PM

17 posts, read 17,085 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to the Tampa Bay area and wondering if there is a place that, roughly speaking, meets some or all of these criteria:

-Within a reasonable (for daily commute) driving distance of downtown Tampa or St Pete

-Less strip malls and national chain stores/restaurants; more local businesses. Perhaps a 'downtown' or 'Main Street'-type area with local businesses and charm and character and/or that is walkable

-Some of that "Old Florida" or "Natural/Wild Florida" charm -- trees draped with Spanish moss, houses with porches, Palmetto scrub, easy access to underdeveloped, "natural" park or conservation areas... Somewhere where at night you would be able to see lots of stars due to low light pollution and hear the crickets/insects/frogs as opposed to nearby traffic... etc...

-Maybe, but not necessarily, a place with a sort of rural or semi-rural character to it. Think LaBelle, for those who have been, or maybe the towns around the southern rim of Lake Okeechobee.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 05:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
First two places that come to mind: Dunedin & Safety Harbor.

Each has their own downtown away from the hustle and bustle of the nearby highways, if transported to their downtown you wouldn't be able to guess there are millions living around you. Lots of trees, parks, and charm...very inviting feel. Local businesses, lively downtowns that are walkable, a "community" look. Yet with all of that, easy access to busy urban cores like St Pete and Tampa.

I think light pollution is going to be an issue anywhere in Tampa Bay metro area.

I live in West Tampa but Dunedin and Safety Harbor would be my top 2 choices to live if I were to move if I think about it.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM

90 posts, read 122,437 times
Ditto on Dunedin and Safety Harbor. Great towns..Maybe add Ozona and the downtown part of Palm Harbor...Both are small but have that "old Florida vibe".

Old 04-20-2016, 09:00 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Dunedin, Safety Harbor, and Ozona ... love all three of those places!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:00 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
While I love both Dunedin and Safety Harbor, they are not rural enough to see lots of stars, hear crickets etc, IMO.

We used to live in Dade City, and that area along with San Antonio seems to fill the bill. The downtown is very small, but if you want LOTS of natural beauty and countryside, along with stars and fireflies, this is the place. Not to mention lush rolling hills, woods and lakes. We live in Sarasota now, but I still miss the beauty of this area.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Your criteria was OUR criteria a few years ago. At that time we needed to relocate within 30 minutes of Tampa Airport (I can make it there from my Gulfport home in exactly 23 minutes, not speeding). We often go to DTSP (Downtown St. Pete) for lunch...it's a 14 minute drive.

We spent 2 winters alternating rentals in the downtowns of Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport. Gulfport won our hearts. We've lived here over 2 years and still enjoy our daily walks to the water, restaurants (a dozen NON-chain)....live under tall oaks with Spanish moss on a brick-lined street. Life is good, no make that GREAT here!

Check this website for activities:
Gulfport Merchants Association

Here's what we can walk to in under one-half a mile:

The Beach
The Fishing Pier
Library
12+ Local restaurants (all independent, no chains)
Retail shops
Car Repair
Yoga Studios (2 private) in addition to City classes at Rec Center which sits waterfront
Post Office
5 Parks (3 parks, plus 2 dog parks)
City Tennis Courts
Public beach volleyball courts
Dance Ballroom (City Owned, also the venue for art shows, galas and private weddings/parties)
Live Theatre
Churches
City Rec Center
City Government Offices
Senior Center
City Museum
City Marina
Convenience stores (2, one has Greek fresh food carryout)
Baseball field
Weekly Daytime Fresh Farmers Market
Twice a month evening Art Walks

What we can walk to between one-half mile up to one mile:
Grocery Store (SaveALot, not my fave but it's handy in a pinch)
Fresh Produce Stand open 7 days a week (use this more than SaveALot)
Vet
Dollar Store
Drug Store (Walgreens)
5+ More restaurants
More stores (Auto parts, hair salons, etc)
Banks

I'm sure I left some places out!

Last edited by dothetwist; 04-21-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 10:26 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
You know, Gulfport is a great suggestion and I would pair it right along with Safety Harbor and Dunedin in terms of feel. Hate I forgot about it when posting. Great restaurants there and a nice downtown. I feel like the homes (and the average age) are a little older than maybe Safety Harbor or Dunedin, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Your criteria was OUR criteria a few years ago. At that time we needed to relocate within 30 minutes of Tampa Airport (I can make it there from my Gulfport home in exactly 23 minutes, not speeding). We often go to DTSP (Downtown St. Pete) for lunch...it's a 14 minute drive.

We spent 2 winters alternating rentals in the downtowns of Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport. Gulfport won our hearts. We've lived here over 2 years and still enjoy our daily walks to the water, restaurants (a dozen NON-chain)....live under tall oaks with Spanish moss on a brick-lined street. Life is good, no make that GREAT here!

Check this website for activities:

Here's what we can walk to in under one-half a mile:

Great. Thanks for all the info!!

Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 AM

Once again, thanks to everyone who responded. This has given me some good ideas and places to further check out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay