Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:14 AM

238 posts, read 576,489 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....not quite sure if that really rings true...from personal experience, i was in Las Vegas, Nevada one summer and they were just having their "normal" summer temperatures...That averaged about 108 each day i was there and with the sun beating down on you it was pretty tough to walk for very long...

I live in New York (not in florida, although considering relocating to the area) and have been down there scores of times during the summer when it was 90 and humid and i had far less problem handling that then the 108 (with like 15% humidity) in LV...
Also, humidity is very good for the skin...Have you ever seen the skin of many people who live in the desert states? It can age the skin really fast from that bone dryness...you have to use an awful amount of moisturizers....lol

Haven't been to the gulf side of florida, yet...always on the southeast side...why, is it that much worse on the gulf side? I thought it was supposed to be about the same...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
Hmmm....not quite sure if that really rings true...from personal experience, i was in Las Vegas, Nevada one summer and they were just having their "normal" summer temperatures...That averaged about 108 each day i was there and with the sun beating down on you it was pretty tough to walk for very long...

I live in New York (not in florida, although considering relocating to the area) and have been down there scores of times during the summer when it was 90 and humid and i had far less problem handling that then the 108 (with like 15% humidity) in LV...
Also, humidity is very good for the skin...Have you ever seen the skin of many people who live in the desert states? It can age the skin really fast from that bone dryness...you have to use an awful amount of moisturizers....lol

Haven't been to the gulf side of florida, yet...always on the southeast side...why, is it that much worse on the gulf side? I thought it was supposed to be about the same...
Thanks to a never ending reverse west wind flow blowing off of 90 degree gulf temps is why it feels much worse on the west coast vs the east coast. Now when we have a east flow during the summer it feels 10 times better on the west coast.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM

18 posts, read 13,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

I used to live in Georgia before moving to Colorado, and never had skin problems until I came out here. I just don't see the added humidity being a huge issue. Riding a BMX bike 25mi in 95 - 100 degree dry heat, you have to drink tons of water to make up for the sweat loss, and stop your throat from drying out. It's like trying to ride in a convection oven...

I looked up pace charts that calculate dew point/temperature. For FL when it's 95 degrees with a dew point over 75+ you have to make a 10% adjustment in pace. Meaning if you can run a mi normally in 4 minutes in low humidity area, than you can run a mile in 4 minutes + 10% so 4:40 in high humidity area.

I don't think the adjustment is that much. Colorado during the fall/spring(50 - 70 degrees), I can ride 20mi in in about 40 minutes comfortably, but during the summer when it's 95+ it takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes because of the intense heat and dryness. That's a huge adjustment in performance comparative to change in humidity and pressure.

Colorado has some crazy weather, sure it snows during the winter, but it gets really hot during the summer. This year in February it was 70 degrees some days, while a couple of years ago it was -10 during February. If you've never been to Colorado, it's true what the say about the weather... If you don't like it, then give it 5 minutes and it will be something different.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:31 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
You'll be fine. You'll just melt in the humidity, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: