Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:19 PM

428 posts, read 416,315 times

Advertisements

Shout out to all the cyclists... It's a sport I admire, especially since the most I use a bike is indoors in spin class...

Since we moved to FL, the only place we ever saw cyclists with mirrors was the occasional rider in SE FL. Whether in New Tampa or the long trail that goes from TP to St. Pete, we haven't seen anybody in this area with mirrors.

Are cyclists used to pedestrians and autos giving them more consideration in this area of FL (which would be a great thing), that they don't feel the need for mirrors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 02:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I'm seeing them.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Mine is on my helmet too. I had a mirror on the end of my drop handlebars, but it shook a lot (vibration) so I like the helmet mounted mirror better. Just one opinion.

It's been many years, but I've lived in four states, and FL was the least friendly to cycles IME. IOW, a mirror is a good idea there.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:49 AM

120 posts, read 118,236 times
I've been riding for years on the roads here and the one consistent thing I've observed is the complete lack of consideration on both the sides of the cyclists and the motorists. The drivers think they own the road and the cyclists shouldn't be there and the cyclists think they have some sort of holy right to do whatever they want. There are very specific laws here that favor the cyclists as long as they fall in line with them, but unfortunately, most of them don't. It's an ongoing power struggle that leads to a very dangerous situation with a ton of vehicle/bike crashes every year. I got hit a few years back by a driver who told me it was "no big deal" because she "only hit me with her mirror." The fact that she was closer than 3' was irrelevant to her because I "shouldn't have been in the road." I've also witnessed cyclists block traffic and edge drivers off the road while riding outside what the law allows. Laws and regulations don't matter when no one follows them.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Was out at Ft DeSoto Saturday and 9 out of 10 cars were sailing probably 40 mph+ on roads with speed limits 25-35 mph. Some with jet ski trailers and no 3-ft space. Kind of unnerving at times as I try to keep to the most righthand side of the road for their benefit. Some drivers were moving completely over to the left lane to pass, which I always try to do when I'm passing a biker. I have a feeling some of the drivers were probably texting but didn't look over to see as I was focusing on my own riding.

Would be bad to be out there trying to get fit and stay healthy by biking only to be incapacitated by a careless driver who didn't go the speed limit and didn't see me because he was texting.

When riding in a State Park you feel like you have some protection versus the idiots. Didn't see any enforcement of the speed limits out there. Would like to see something like this at least.....

Old 04-10-2017, 07:20 PM

240 posts, read 287,081 times
I hate those stupid flashing signs. I ignore them for the most part. I hate speed limits for that matter. Most people can judge the safest speed they can drive at on a particular road without endangering others. Too many rules in this nanny state. I usually flip them off as I go by, traffic cameras too. And I never try to text and drive, though I know others do. If they are looking at their phone, they aren't going to see the little flashing sign anyway!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
I hate those stupid flashing signs. I ignore them for the most part. I hate speed limits for that matter. Most people can judge the safest speed they can drive at on a particular road without endangering others. Too many rules in this nanny state. I usually flip them off as I go by, traffic cameras too. And I never try to text and drive, though I know others do. If they are looking at their phone, they aren't going to see the little flashing sign anyway!
So, you admit to being part of the problem on roads here in FL?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Your insurance, if you have any, must be pricey.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
They're called "laws" and all states have them. Perhaps you'd be better off in someplace like Somalia if you find them too confining..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They're called "laws"
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: