Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times

Advertisements

So I called one of the colleges today for our daughter, she will be graduating HS here next may, so the College tells me that even though we will OWN a home in Florida car insurance and car registration for 2 of our cars for Florida as well, that they go by the day and the month that the drivers license was issued and Registration and Voters Registration was issued...Well we thought as long as we had bills in our name, FL insurance and Registration and a deed to the house 1 year prior to her starting school that would be acceptable...Hence one of the reasons we decided to buy next month and close in July thinking we could get residency and now This sucks, she has a Florida Pre-Paid for school for the 4 years and now we are going to have to pay 1 year out of pocket for tution and Out of State tution??? even though as of July we will have residency??? this makes no sense....In NJ as long as you can prove you are a resident here they will consider you an instate resident for tuition...so now I guess we will have to change over her license to Florida and her plates for her car as of July of this year and well and if she gets stopped just say she lives with her grandparents and she is going to college here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
It took me months to establish residency at HCC. And the only reason USF gave me in state is because of my HCC transcripts. I was born and raised here. I had a license in my name. Bills, registration, you name it... I think this is just the colleges' way of annoying everyone.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
It took me months to establish residency at HCC. And the only reason USF gave me in state is because of my HCC transcripts. I was born and raised here. I had a license in my name. Bills, registration, you name it... I think this is just the colleges' way of annoying everyone.
I have to agree with you I really do not want my daughter to take off a year because of this....very aggravating since the whole idea was to NOT have her take out loans...the community college out of state is 9400 for the year...INSANE...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:37 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
I'd try looking into scholarships. I know HCC has a ton that nobody takes advantage of. Also, the first answer is never the last. Be persistent in getting the paperwork in for in state. The last time I went to establish residency, HCC had put my SSN in wrong. Told me it'd take a year to fix. Needless to say, it was fixed later that day.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'd try looking into scholarships. I know HCC has a ton that nobody takes advantage of. Also, the first answer is never the last. Be persistent in getting the paperwork in for in state. The last time I went to establish residency, HCC had put my SSN in wrong. Told me it'd take a year to fix. Needless to say, it was fixed later that day.
Wow that is awful lol

thank you I will certainly try and make my case with the school...she is looking to attend Pasco Herando State where my son will be finishing up she wants to transfer to USF after finished with her 2 year degree

Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,167,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
So I called one of the colleges today for our daughter, she will be graduating HS here next may, so the College tells me that even though we will OWN a home in Florida car insurance and car registration for 2 of our cars for Florida as well, that they go by the day and the month that the drivers license was issued and Registration and Voters Registration was issued...Well we thought as long as we had bills in our name, FL insurance and Registration and a deed to the house 1 year prior to her starting school that would be acceptable...Hence one of the reasons we decided to buy next month and close in July thinking we could get residency and now This sucks, she has a Florida Pre-Paid for school for the 4 years and now we are going to have to pay 1 year out of pocket for tution and Out of State tution??? even though as of July we will have residency??? this makes no sense....In NJ as long as you can prove you are a resident here they will consider you an instate resident for tuition...so now I guess we will have to change over her license to Florida and her plates for her car as of July of this year and well and if she gets stopped just say she lives with her grandparents and she is going to college here...
Who told you that residency established that quickly? I think they should have told you it takes a few years. I read two years established/ .

Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
It took my niece (3) years to establish residency while paying out of state tuition.

I toured a state school with my niece and asked what it took to establish residency and was told you had to live in the state full time for one year, change driver's license, car registration, register to vote and more...So my niece did that.. didn't go "home" for breaks whatsover and paid out of state tuition.. then 2nd year.. they said she needed to work full time and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo.. it was a few years ago.. can't remember all the specifics...

At the end of her 3rd year, my niece was told they would never consider her a resident for tuition purposes.
At that time I wrote letters to every newspaper and politician explaining the situation and the school then told her they'd consider her a resident her 4th and final year.
Just to be clear - she moved here for 9 years. It wasn't as though she was just coming down here for school and going back "home" for summers and breaks...

Be very careful OP.. they'll tell you to do XYZ... you do it... and then they'll tell you have to do ABC... meanwhile paying out of state tuition - and no longer considered a resident of your former state. It was a complete nightmare financially as well as to learn you can't trust state colleges.

We'd asked every question and left no stone unturned but the state colleges just want every dime they can get from you.
There's no integrity.
It's criminal.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 04-20-2017 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
It took my niece (3) years to establish residency while paying out of state tuition.

I toured a state school with my niece and asked what it took to establish residency and was told you had to live in the state full time for one year, change driver's license, car registration, register to vote and more...So my niece did that.. didn't go "home" for breaks whatsover and paid out of state tuition.. then 2nd year.. they said she needed to work full time and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo.. it was a few years ago.. can't remember all the specifics...

At the end of her 3rd year, my niece was told they would never consider her a resident for tuition purposes.
At that time I wrote letters to every newspaper and politician explaining the situation and the school then told her they'd consider her a resident her 4th and final year.
Just to be clear - she moved here for 9 years. It wasn't as though she was just coming down here for school and going back "home" for summers and breaks...

Be very careful OP.. they'll tell you to do XYZ... you do it... and then they'll tell you have to do ABC... meanwhile paying out of state tuition - and no longer considered a resident of your former state. It was a complete nightmare financially as well as to learn you can't trust state colleges.

We'd asked every question and left no stone unturned but the state colleges just want every dime they can get from you.
There's no integrity.
It's criminal.
wow that is horrible what they did to your niece..But we will be legal residence and we will be there full time...How can they deny her residency? We will have Car registration, car insurance utility bills, Deed to house and she lives with us? So I am very confused...Pasco State told us this yesterday its 1 year to the date of the issued drivers license, Car Registration and Voter Registration...and I would need to provide the proof of our home which is fine....We lived in Florida before and NEVER had this problem...I called Hilsborugh Community also and was told the same thing as we will be Residence of Florida as of this summer!! this should be very interesting...

Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
wow that is horrible what they did to your niece..But we will be legal residence and we will be there full time...How can they deny her residency? We will have Car registration, car insurance utility bills, Deed to house and she lives with us? So I am very confused...Pasco State told us this yesterday its 1 year to the date of the issued drivers license, Car Registration and Voter Registration...and I would need to provide the proof of our home which is fine....We lived in Florida before and NEVER had this problem...I called Hilsborugh Community also and was told the same thing as we will be Residence of Florida as of this summer!! this should be very interesting...
Thanks for caring.
It really made her college years a nightmare for the most part as you can imagine what an unexpected financial drain it was.

We planned about a year ahead... I'd been living in Florida 10 years already and.. it's just such a convoluted story.
I would strongly suggest getting what they told you in writing by someone of authority?
Best of luck.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Who told you that residency established that quickly? I think they should have told you it takes a few years. I read two years established/ .
2 colleges that I called and spoke to Registrar I was told it is 1 year after all DMV and either a Deed to a home or a Lease and a few utility bills...and that we have been in Florida 1 year.. I just spoke to a friend of mine and they just got their residency after 1 year as they were full time in Florida and just hit the year mark..Her daughter is attending a florida college and starting the fall she will be paying in state tution..

My uncle called the state to see about the Pre-Paid and was told the same thing its 1 year residency in order for her to use the pre-paid for in state tuition..since she is under 24 and she lives with us as a "dependent" it would go by our Residency..So this summer we will have to register all 4 of our cars and change over our licenses...

I hope this is all true because otherwise we are in deep S*it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay