Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:12 AM

686 posts, read 622,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Some of it is hard to quantify. The game is broadcasted worldwide....yes, to Europe, Asia including China. You think any of those viewers put Tampa/STP on their places to visit in the USA if they see all the nice beach scenes, sunsets, etc coming from the two weeks the NFL is in town for the SB? I do.

110 million viewers in the USA see Tampa/STP as a place to visit as well.....

These people add to the tourism dollar in the long run.....
Yes but that's long term benefits. The economic "studies" usually thrown around by the league are in regards to the game itself, and the pre/post game activities, feeder business boosts, etc... not joe and jane smith's vacation 6 months after the game based on what they saw on tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Yay for Tampa! I see this as a good thing.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
I guess the strip clubs will have to hire woman from different states like they did for the RNC.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I don't buy that argument. More than 3.5B with a billion viewers saw Olympics - I don't think anyone is packing their bags and saying let's head to Rio anytime soon...

Another bogus marketing pitch.

Most of the sports event give a very, very small bump in economy that lasts for a day or weekend at most and that bump is less than what the hosting city shells out in terms of security, putting up with lost hours due to traffic etc.

Let's take USA - How many superbowl(s) have we watched and then packed our bags to go visit that city ? Forget international viewers, just bcuz they watch doesn't mean they have means to get a passport, apply for Visa, pay for hotel accommodation and have money left over to spend.
True, but what the other poster said is correct. Longer term influence is more critical over time. And, having the world's eyes on you can undeniably help with tourism numbers. Look at Atlanta pre and post Olympics. Obviously, there needs to be some additional development spurred there, but having a place name in the media most likely does help with that over time. My hope is that Tampa uses the lead up to the event to make some additional improvements in infrastructure in order to further showcase the city. They did a good job hosting the CFP, so one can hope.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I don't buy that argument. More than 3.5B with a billion viewers saw Olympics - I don't think anyone is packing their bags and saying let's head to Rio anytime soon...

Another bogus marketing pitch.

Most of the sports event give a very, very small bump in economy that lasts for a day or weekend at most and that bump is less than what the hosting city shells out in terms of security, putting up with lost hours due to traffic etc.

Let's take USA - How many superbowl(s) have we watched and then packed our bags to go visit that city ? Forget international viewers, just bcuz they watch doesn't mean they have means to get a passport, apply for Visa, pay for hotel accommodation and have money left over to spend.
Rio might have come across as a place to visit had it not been for stories about Zika, about human sewage in the waters off the beaches, and about the poverty that has hit the area.

Don't think the SB will portray Tampa/STP in that light.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 AM

686 posts, read 622,158 times
Well, hopefully downtown is (or is close to becoming) a gem by then, and the area north of downtown isn't still a ****hole. Tampa has good bones. Just so much of it is wasted.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
True, but what the other poster said is correct. Longer term influence is more critical over time. And, having the world's eyes on you can undeniably help with tourism numbers. Look at Atlanta pre and post Olympics. Obviously, there needs to be some additional development spurred there, but having a place name in the media most likely does help with that over time. My hope is that Tampa uses the lead up to the event to make some additional improvements in infrastructure in order to further showcase the city. They did a good job hosting the CFP, so one can hope.
Look at Atlanta? and for how long since 1996? 1996 to 2000? 1996 to 2017?

Sports activities pretty much do nothing in the long run. For a city that does not have historical landmarks, must-see natural wonders, best bet to grow would be to bring high paying jobs - plain and simple.

This will be Tampa's fifth super bowl event - what significant growth do you attribute the last 4 events has brought and I think 4 events is long enough to see if it made an impact or not.

Also, look at all the freebies that City needs to provide

Link: Tampa's bid for fifth Super Bowl means secret and expensive promises to NFL | Tampa Bay Times

Quote:
Rent-free use of the stadium, 35,000-plus parking spaces and other nearby facilities are a must. In the days leading up to the game, participating hotels must turn over all of their meeting space. For a year, they must keep the NFL Network on all of their TVs. Local governments have to provide security and trash pickup for free and ticket sales can't be taxed.
Quote:
The league also has asked for free usage of local golf courses and bowling alleys, a $1 million donation to the charity of the NFL's choice and its handpicked ATM providers inside the stadium.
Quote:
The host committee must also reserve three "top-quality" 18-hole golf courses where green and cart fees will be waived for a Super Bowl-related golf tournament, as well as another course for use by the NFL in March following the Super Bowl. Free use of up to two bowling alleys is needed, as well, for an NFL event.
Quote:
If a hotel is chosen as the league's Super Bowl headquarters, it must provide "150 complimentary room-nights for pre-event planning trips" in the months leading up to the game.
Am all for hosting games but city of Tampa will need to recoup the cost of hosting the games DURING the games and still make profit !!!

Old 05-27-2017, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 145,244 times
I'll just avoid eddie and Sam's my fav pizza that weekend. It'll be a madhouse

Old 05-28-2017, 06:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
I'll just avoid eddie and Sam's my fav pizza that weekend. It'll be a madhouse
You have a sharp eye but my sympathies to you. After spending money on expensive tickets, looks like fans only have money leftover to afford $2.99 slice pizza - that's the bump local businesses are expecting whereas host city is losing thousands of dollars of money when they can be taxing those super bowl tickets sold rather than making them tax-free.

Everything about bidding to host the event is secretive and I dislike not being transparent esp when it involves tax payers money....

Quote:
How much do face value Super Bowl 52 tickets cost?

As mentioned above, a small percentage of the tickets are being sold directly to the public through On Location Experiences. These tickets range in price from $5,999 to more than $12,000. It is unclear what the face value is of the rest of the Super Bowl tickets that are distributed to the teams, sponsors, and players.
Quote:
How do I get Super Bowl tickets?

The NFL controls distribution of Super Bowl tickets. Historically, the two participating teams each received 17.5% of the tickets, and another 5% goes to the host city. The remaining teams in the league split 34.8% of the tickets evenly.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
best seat is in you living room.....let the tourist come in, spend their money on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, etc.....normally they have off-site concerts and other entertainment during the week leading up to the big game, but again, I'm avoiding that stuff.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: