Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,079 times

Advertisements

I went through about 15 threads about Dallas and Tampa on the website but they are all out dated. I can not locate the updated information. Also I have a very specific condition that I would love to get some feed back as a different perspective.

Here is some information about my possible relocation before I ask the question:

*31 y/o married Engineer working for Department of Veteran Affairs. This means that I have to live close to Tampa VA facility right by the FSU. I am planning to get an apartment in Tampa Palms initially and see my options for possible housing. Also my pay check is not any different then what I make in Dallas since the locality pay is same.

* The main reason is of relocating : I am not happy at work here because of the leadership and everybody is trying to relocate somewhere else. And I had really good references about the Tampa work environment (at least office I will be working inT.

* Two important and hard to get things is possible for me in Tampa: Hockey and Ocean. It looks like Lighting is doing better than Stars lately. I still can believe Stars actually got Bishop...

* Dallas is actually hotter than Tampa but then there is humidity factor in Tampa. I have lived in Houston so I am familiar with humidity. Also I am from Mediterranean so I don't call Galveston as beach ( sorry but it is truth).

* I hate snow. Dallas gets little bit cold, maybe icy for a week or two. I know I will not have a problem in Tampa on this.

* Traffic is very important to me since I have anger/road rage issues hat I am working on in very good progress. Therefore I start at work at 6 am but believe me you get traffic on I 30 around 5 30 am where it meets 45 and I get off from work at 3 and still spend quite a bit time in traffic on I 30.

*Dallas VA is in such a horrible part of the town, the safer and more affordable houses are at least 30 min drive( In Texas that means at least 20 miles)

*As you can see I did my research and I am taking a little risk and accepting position in Tampa. But do you think my qualify of life will get affected by it? Especially in below elements:

Traffic: worse or better than Dallas? Remember I am planning to live in up north Tampa and work in Tampa VA by SFU. Right now I drive 12 miles to work that takes me about 20 to 25 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evenings.

Cost of living: Although the cost of living is very similar. Do you think Tampa is more expensive than Dallas? as groceries, rent, etc. No state income tax in both. Also I might be exempt from paying property tax for my own house due to service connected Disability ( GO Army!)

Quality of life: Do you think it is possible to be miserable in Tampa? Or maybe a better question, if it is harder to be miserable in Tampa rather than Dallas? Especially with weather here.

Stuff that are not important: Shopping is not a big deal for us as long as we have a TJ-max or Marshall, Ross and Kohls.

We do go out for dinner at least once week with either a movie or some kind of sport activity ( I am planning on getting Bolts season tickets). Diverse restaurant option would be nice but it not a big deal.

Oh no kids so schools are not important for now.

Thank you very much for your valued options.

Last edited by falturk; 05-26-2017 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:53 PM

5,657 posts, read 6,260,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falturk View Post
I went through about 15 threads about Dallas and Tampa on the website but they are all out dated. I can not locate the updated information. Also I have a very specific condition that I would love to get some feed back as a different perspective.

It;s not clear to me from your post what is your specific condition regarding whih you need feedback. Is there soething specfic that wold impact our recommedations?

Old 05-27-2017, 04:14 AM

686 posts, read 626,581 times
Tampa's VA isn't exactly in a great part of town, either, and Bruce B. Downs Blvd is a traffic nightmare in rush hour. Tampa Palms is nice, but if it were me I'd live west of there; maybe Carrolwood or Citrus Park. But that's just personal bias.

Do I think it's possible to be miserable in Tampa? Um, of course. Anyone can be miserable anywhere. Summers here last from June to some time in late October, usually, and are absolutely stifling in terms of humidity and round the clock high dew points.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,477,735 times
Quote:
Especially in below elements:

Traffic: worse or better than Dallas? Remember I am planning to live in up north Tampa and work in Tampa VA by SFU. Right now I drive 12 miles to work that takes me about 20 to 25 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evenings.

Cost of living: Although the cost of living is very similar. Do you think Tampa is more expensive than Dallas? as groceries, rent, etc. No state income tax in both. Also I might be exempt from paying property tax for my own house due to service connected Disability ( GO Army!)

Quality of life: Do you think it is possible to be miserable in Tampa? Or maybe a better question, if it is harder to be miserable in Tampa rather than Dallas? Especially with weather here.

Stuff that are not important: Shopping is not a big deal for us as long as we have a TJ-max or Marshall, Ross and Kohls.

We do go out for dinner at least once week with either a movie or some kind of sport activity ( I am planning on getting Bolts season tickets). Diverse restaurant option would be nice but it not a big deal.

Oh no kids so schools are not important for now.

You'll do OK with traffic esp if you leave home at 6AM.
Cost of living really depends on your spending pattern but it will be comparable for things like groceries, rent etc
QOL - will be better since you like hockey and the beach

I think you did good by accepting the position in Tampa. When do you start?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 AM

350 posts, read 335,023 times
I appreciate your honesty in talking about your road rage and I hope you appreciate mine. Traffic in ANY major city is always a hassle and your issue in road rage frightens me very much. Tampa doesn't need any more people who cannot control their temper.

I am so sorry to say this, but I can't recommend you move to Tampa where some innocent person may be killed or hurt due to your actions.

Best sincere wishes on your continued and COMPLETE recovery in dealing with road rage.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:51 AM

5,983 posts, read 7,455,340 times
I've ridden in Dallas traffic and it's not near as bad in Tampa, at least not in the areas where you would be driving. Rush hour is pretty well defined here, so if you're working non-standard hours similar to what I do (6:30-3:30) the traffic isn't bad at all.

The VA in Tampa is near USF (University of South Florida).

You can be miserable anywhere you want. That's a personal choice.

Road rage will be a problem here, as we have some pretty awful drivers. That being said, your commute won't be that busy so at least that part shouldn't be an issue.

Not a lot of good things heard about the VA here or in St. Pete in local media. As a government employee myself, I'm not sure you'll gain anything by transferring here in that respect. "The grass is always greener?" Rarely.

Plenty of diverse dining opportunities if you're willing to get out and drive around.

One thing to be aware of: If you enjoy seasonal changed like you have in Dallas, you won't see those here. best way I can describe it is "Groundhog Day". That is, every day is like the previous one. No seasonal changes to speak of here, just "hot/humid" and "not so hot/humid" with the exception of a short time in the "winter" months that is really exceptional.

Like previous posters pointed out, you said you had specific concerns, however, you didn't identify them.

RM

Old 05-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
I appreciate your honesty in talking about your road rage and I hope you appreciate mine. Traffic in ANY major city is always a hassle and your issue in road rage frightens me very much. Tampa doesn't need any more people who cannot control their temper.

I am so sorry to say this, but I can't recommend you move to Tampa where some innocent person may be killed or hurt due to your actions.

Best sincere wishes on your continued and COMPLETE recovery in dealing with road rage.
This is the exact thing that I am afraid of. Dealing with inconsiderate, uneducated (not talking about schooling) like you. How do you know my severity? I have never been in a car crash, never pulled over someone, or harm anybody in anyway. The only hurting prson is myself because it bother me that I get angry to stupid drivers. SO before you make comments it is always good to clarify....

Ohh now, I am definelty moving to Tampa, to be exact right where you live and work so I make sure I share the road with you... calm down I am just joking..

But seriously, It is always good to have detailed information before you make judgement. Anyways this is about comparison between cities, not **** contest. I just had to share my humble opinion since you did.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 AM

I am sorry I didnt make it clear but the things I had concern were written in the bottom part.

such as: weather, cost of living( regular joe here. So comprasion in grocery, apartments, housing), traffic comparison.

As I mentioned before I have decided to move and rent an apartment for 6 months to have some knowledge before I buy a house. As long as there is beach and hockey, I should be good to go. I should be there in a month or two. it is a federal transfer so it takes a little time in HR.

Thank you very much for your input. It looks like the only concern is the weather but I am on site/outside only 1 or 2 hours a day, rest is in a office so I should be good to go.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:31 AM

350 posts, read 335,023 times
Quote:
This is the exact thing that I am afraid of. Dealing with inconsiderate, uneducated (not talking about schooling) like you. How do you know my severity? I have never been in a car crash, never pulled over someone, or harm anybody in anyway. The only hurting prson is myself because it bother me that I get angry to stupid drivers. SO before you make comments it is always good to clarify....

Ohh now, I am definelty moving to Tampa, to be exact right where you live and work so I make sure I share the road with you... calm down I am just joking..

But seriously, It is always good to have detailed information before you make judgement. Anyways this is about comparison between cities, not **** contest. I just had to share my humble opinion since you did.

Thanks for the your clarification of road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay