Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 PM

119 posts, read 524,751 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My spouse and I are relocating to Tampa in a few months. Although we are not yuppies we desire similar accomodations (new building, stainless steel appliances, etc.) A safe neighborhood with an urban, quasi-urban or at least neighborhood feel is important to us. No tract housing. We will not be able to afford a lot ($1200/mo or less) during the transition but we are small people so we do not need a large space at all (could even be a studio). In short, we're entirely new to Tampa and are seeking any advice or guidance you could offer with our specifications.

Where do the yuppies live in Tampa?

Thank you so much,

BJS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 AM

265 posts, read 974,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
Hello,

My spouse and I are relocating to Tampa in a few months. Although we are not yuppies we desire similar accomodations (new building, stainless steel appliances, etc.) A safe neighborhood with an urban, quasi-urban or at least neighborhood feel is important to us. No tract housing. We will not be able to afford a lot ($1200/mo or less) during the transition but we are small people so we do not need a large space at all (could even be a studio). In short, we're entirely new to Tampa and are seeking any advice or guidance you could offer with our specifications.

Thank you so much,

BJS
Most of them live in Ruskin and Mango.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM

70 posts, read 363,257 times
I guess in South Tampa/Hyde Park/Soho area. definitley not in Ruskin or Mango, the pp is obviously joking

Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
South Tampa definitely, SoHo or Hyde Park would be a good place to start.

Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
Hello,

Thank you so much,

BJS

Check out the following:

Downtown: Skypoint, Element, Grand Central@Kennedy

Channelside: The Towers, Victory Lofts,

SoHo/Hyde Park has many places and the rents are a bit lower than downtown/channel side.

Zipcodes to look in: 33606, 333629, and 33602

Hope this helps.

Hydeparkapartments.com is another resource.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Neighborhoods

Could you describe the neighborhood in terms of residents (mostly homes, young people, families) or commercial activity (office buildings or botique shops or mixed use development)? Like Hyde Park, Channelside or Bayshore? Most importantly, are they safe neighborhoods?

Does anyone have any experience with Hyde Park Apartments, including the Dakota, the Georgian, San Juan Villas etc.?

Thank you.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:17 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
I prefer the Soho area in terms of walkability--you can find a fun, funky studio apartment and walking ability to chain stores like Panera and Starbucks as well as cool indie restaurants, night clubs, gyms and the like. You'll find dinks (double income no kids) and young singles and even older folks there--not a ton of kids. There's nearby groceries, etc.

Hyde Park is a bit more expensive, a bit more family-esque with lots of expensive 1940s redone bungalows (and by that I mean anything from 1200sf upwards of 4000sf in size--but they're all pricey).

I am a UT professor and live in the sticks (married, kids) but my singleton and no-kids married/partnered colleagues live in the Soho/Hyde Park areas. Davis/Harbor Island is also a good choice.

I like the feel of Soho b/c it's a little funky, a little less manicured. A little more unique. If I didn't have kids or could afford the real estate AND private school there, that's where I would live!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Default What About Davis Islands?

I thank you for your advice for SoHo. We "dinc" as you say more that yuppies. We're just coming to Tampa for the first time so safety and accessibility, not being robbed and being able to get around, are our most important values.

I see a lot of apartments boasting of being near Bayshore Boulevard, sort of due west of Davis Island. Is Bayshore Boulevard a good area? Any thoughts or apartment complexes to recommend?

Thank you.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
The areas listed are some of the safest in Tampa. Davis Island is also a nice area. Tampa General is on Davis Island so you have a lot of medical ppl living in apartments.

SoHo is great for walkability to bars/restaurants etc. Here is some info on Bayshore Blvd. You can get a very nice apt in your price range in any of those areas
Bayshore Boulevard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Apartment Buildings?

For anyone who passes by these areas, (33606, 333629, and 33602) are you aware of any nice apartment complexes? If any come to mind please list them I would be most appreciative.

Have you heard anything or ever passed by the following places that I have researched:

- Post Harbour Place
- Hyde Park Apartments
- Island Walk
- Gaspar Properties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay