Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:40 PM

33 posts, read 37,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
All stats have bugs mugs. Not any worse here than any other state mate.

Have to disagree.

True, all states have bugs. I've traveled most of the US and and lived in Fl for nearly 40 years. By far florida is the worst IMO, partly because the bugs are year round, and the climate is perfect for them.

I spent last summer in Fl and every day the side of my RV was covered like a blanket with grass dwelling bugs. Which brought an infestation of spiders. Which then brought an infestation of frogs. And when I say infestation, that is not an exaggeration.

I'm currently in Az and the only bug I've encountered in the last 6 months is the occasional fly.

The OP asked for real life assessment of Florida. I gave one based on real life experience. A bug averse person would not enjoy Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdweller View Post
Have to disagree.

True, all states have bugs. I've traveled most of the US and and lived in Fl for nearly 40 years. By far florida is the worst IMO, partly because the bugs are year round, and the climate is perfect for them.

I spent last summer in Fl and every day the side of my RV was covered like a blanket with grass dwelling bugs. Which brought an infestation of spiders. Which then brought an infestation of frogs. And when I say infestation, that is not an exaggeration.

I'm currently in Az and the only bug I've encountered in the last 6 months is the occasional fly.

The OP asked for real life assessment of Florida. I gave one based on real life experience. A bug averse person would not enjoy Florida.
Never see any where i live. Just a few noseeums and crazy ants. Been here since 1963. Now if ya go in the woods that is another matter. But since almost all of FL is paved over rover the bugs are going away.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:12 PM

286 posts, read 164,545 times
Quote:
Have to disagree.

Where did you park that RV? In the Green Swamp????? Your opinion on FL bugs is a huge exaggeration, at the least. Are there bugs/insects? Of course there is. Fl is tropical. Like LKJ said, bugs are everywhere.

To the pooster who mention Palmetto Bugs. Those are American Cockroaches.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,568 times
regret it every day.....

Jobs markets are terrible.
People are terrible....respectfully speaking...
scenery is terrible.
Housing is terrible
Bugs are terrible
Tourism is terrible
Traffic is terrible
Drivers are terriblest... that should be a word here.
Insurance is terrible (you really should look into it before you move we pay 3 times as much here, literally)
Congestion is terrible
Food is terrible
lakes are terrible
snakes and gators are terrible.... i will not ever go in the water again here.
weather is ok though

Here is what I have foudn to be good about Florida
We always find a way to spend money
The weather is always nice from October to Feb.
We dont have to shovel snow
We can be at the beach in 30 minutes
You are close enough to Miami and Orlando where you may have some fun
IF you love Flea Markets and trash everywhere, this is for you.
You can drive 20+ mph over the speed limit everywhere and fit right in.
Hurricanes are kind of cool.
When the power goes out all the time you get to revert back to candles and books. that is fun
You dont have to wash your car as often with all the rain we get.

Seriously, If I was 21 again. I would go to Miami. Tampa is slow and boring. Very overpriced for what you get too. I would actually check out many other places beyond Florida anyway. Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte.... All war weather areas that offer so much more at a lower Cost of living and have much better job markets. But if you are stuck on Florida, then consider Miami or Orlando. Im not a huge fan of Orlando but if I was 21 I thinkn Id find more things to do and more people to meet Tampa is filled with retirees and tourists. If you are hellbent on Tampa, then I woudll just move to Clearwater Beach and be where the fun is. Downtown St.Pete is revamping too. Good luck

Old 04-08-2018, 04:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,577 times
Quote:
If you don't like bugs, I suggest you don't move to Fl.

Cockroaches. Some very big ones too, known as palmetto bugs officially.
MANY spiders (no tarantulas, but there are black widows and brown recluse, along with a hundred varieties of benign spiders, some big some small). There are even scorpions, although rare to see one.
Mosquitos.
Fleas.
No-see-ums.
Ants.
Fire ants.

Florida is a haven for a ton of annoying bugs. The pest control companies do a huge business there; but they can't stop mosquitos or no see ums.

As most else have said, it's an expensive place to live if you want to live in a nice and safe area. You will need a fairly decent income or don't mind having a bunch of roommates.

Good luck with it all.
The only time I've come across a lot of spiders is in the woods or new developments near woods. I haven't seen many in what I would consider "in town." Where have you seen MANY spiders? Serious question... because I want to stay away from there.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:23 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
regret it every day.....

scenery is terrible.
Housing is terrible
Bugs are terrible
Tourism is terrible
Traffic is terrible
Insurance is terrible (you really should look into it before you move we pay 3 times as much here, literally)
Congestion is terrible
Food is terrible
lakes are terrible
weather is ok though

When the power goes out all the time you get to revert back to candles and books. that is fun

Seriously, If I was 21 again. I would go to Miami. Tampa is slow and boring. Very overpriced for what you get too. I would actually check out many other places beyond Florida anyway. Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte.... All war weather areas that offer so much more at a lower Cost of living and have much better job markets. But if you are stuck on Florida, then consider Miami or Orlando. Im not a huge fan of Orlando but if I was 21 I thinkn Id find more things to do and more people to meet Tampa is filled with retirees and tourists. If you are hellbent on Tampa, then I woudll just move to Clearwater Beach and be where the fun is. Downtown St.Pete is revamping too. Good luck
Can't even drive around Clearwater anymore with all the traffic and no parking around the beach and around spring break it is insane jake.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 17,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
Where did you park that RV? In the Green Swamp????? Your opinion on FL bugs is a huge exaggeration, at the least. Are there bugs/insects? Of course there is. Fl is tropical. Like LKJ said, bugs are everywhere.

To the pooster who mention Palmetto Bugs. Those are American Cockroaches.
Right!? That’s what I was thinking. Knock on wood, I never had anything too bad come into my place. Once there was a spider maybe a little smaller than a coaster, but only that one, and that’s when I lived near some woods. When I was in town all I got was an occasional palmetto bug. They were usually dying when I found them. Creepy and crunchy but manageable.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:38 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Can you afford to visit places to see if it would be a go for you? It really sounds like you would be setting yourself up for failure with no diploma, anywhere you go.

You should work on that first,find a job you can transfer from, or at least have references from. I talked to a grocery clerk who moved here from Florida because of the humidity & lower cost of living. She was able to transfer between stores.

You shouldn't just move somewhere without any back up.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
regret it every day.....

scenery is terrible.
Housing is terrible
Bugs are terrible
Tourism is terrible
Traffic is terrible
Congestion is terrible
Food is terrible
lakes are terrible
weather is ok though

As far as your list of "terribles", every single one of those terribles applies to every other major city/desirable place to live in America. Except for the gators.

You want bad traffic and tourist hordes, go live in DC. You want bad drivers, go live in Houston. You want bugs, go live in Tuscon. You want to pay through the nose in auto insurance, go live in Louisiana. You want ridiculous housing and prices, go live in San Francisco. You want boring scenery, go live in Nebraska. None of these "terrible" things are exclusive to Florida or Tampa for that matter.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:08 AM

334 posts, read 662,802 times
Florida in general: lots of bugs, most jobs pay low with lousy benefits, do not come here without a job or a very marketable skill, if you don't like hot humid weather, forget it. That is the reality. I personally love Florida, but, I am a realist, and don't want to give you false advice upon which to predicate your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay