Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 AM

40 posts, read 64,964 times

Advertisements

So I am looking to buy a house in SoTa (400k-500k) but I am confused about all the neighborhoods. I thought that ALL of SoTa was desirable but I drove through some parts the other day that were so-so, to say the least (properties that looked like junkyards, 18-wheelers parked in the driveway, etc.). Can anyone give me a brief explanation or rating scale of the best neighborhoods in South Tampa (maybe list them from 1 to 10)? I really have no idea whether Sunset Park is better than Bel Mar Shores, for example.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 AM

121 posts, read 515,455 times
I'm not familiar with the particular neighborhoods, though I'm sure someone else on this forum can help you. What I will say, is what you describe is Tampa in a nutshell.

ALL of Tampa is like that. You'll drive one block and feel as though you're in heaven. The next block, you're locking your doors and stepping on the gas. It's an oddity here, like seeing it rain on one side of the street and be sunny on the other.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default don't forget there is a

large military base right there. that means a lot of enlisted folk who don't have a lot of money for family housing off base. so you're going to have some very modest places that dont' get a lot of improvement. that will attract a lot of other low income people. goodness, an 18 wheeler in the driveway? at least that guy is working although It's not the view I'd want from my 500K windows either.
Don't you think it's a tad inflated to pay that when you have F-16's screaming in at low altitude and you are next to a high priority terrorism target?
DOHS considers Tampa one of the primary targets because of the base and the port being I think 5th nationwide. But why put yourself right next to a potential "ground zero" if you can afford better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
I'm not familiar with the particular neighborhoods, though I'm sure someone else on this forum can help you. What I will say, is what you describe is Tampa in a nutshell.

ALL of Tampa is like that. You'll drive one block and feel as though you're in heaven. The next block, you're locking your doors and stepping on the gas. It's an oddity here, like seeing it rain on one side of the street and be sunny on the other.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
I live in Virginia Park and love the neighborhood - a lot of bigger, newer construction and I have never seen anything resembling an 18wheeler in anyones driveway. Other great S Tampa neighborhoods in my opinion:
- Hyde Park
- Palma Ceia
- New Suburb Beautiful
- Parkland Estates

Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 AM

40 posts, read 64,964 times
Oh no (re: mcdill AFB). Is there a lot of airplane/military base type noise in South Tampa?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post
Oh no (re: mcdill AFB). Is there a lot of airplane/military base type noise in South Tampa?
Only if you live south of Gandy in proximity to the base. We are a few blocks south of Bay to Bay and never hear anything from MacDill

Old 03-25-2008, 12:35 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default hate to say it

but yes at times. Uh, ya know, planes training for Iraq/Afgh. and a big air show once a year. any other type mil.necessity.
It is a primary AF base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejperryman View Post

Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I play golf at McDill AFB all the time - the only noise I hear is from commercial airliners taking off or landing (depending on the wind) at TIA. I don't recall seeing a lot of military jets flying around much.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
when I lived in apollo beach I heard and saw the planes but not often

Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I have to agree.. you won't hear the planes unless you live south of Interbay or right outside the base. You might hear commerical airplane noise ocassionally, but normally the flights take off/land over the bay, unless there is a reason they don't fly right over S. Tpa.

It sounds like you were SOG close to Interbay. There are a lot of rental homes in that area, with a few areas that are undergoing gentrification.

There are so many areas..but the ones rtjr listed are very good, as is Bay to bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: