Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:34 AM

16 posts, read 26,031 times

Advertisements

In this day and age I'm convinced the "levels and tape measures" are completely obsolete when I look at the crap going on with my home. Heck I'm convinced that unless the ceiling is collapsing on your head that the builder does not give a crap and that you are getting dragged face down to the closing table kicking and screaming. Sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 12:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times
One word - well, two words. Stay Away from Taylor Morrison. You'll soon be sorry once you move into your home.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshaholic View Post
In this day and age I'm convinced the "levels and tape measures" are completely obsolete when I look at the crap going on with my home. Heck I'm convinced that unless the ceiling is collapsing on your head that the builder does not give a crap and that you are getting dragged face down to the closing table kicking and screaming. Sad
Realtors overall use Florida Realtor contracts which are pretty fair written.

Builders use their own contracts which are merely benefiting the builder.

Buyers be ware!

There are great builders who have great supervisors, overseeing the independent contractors that the builder hires. But if that’s not the case then trouble is waiting to happen.

Builders don’t return down payments once a buyer is pre-approved. With a regular resale a pre-approval time frame varies from 20-30 days on average.

With builders he pre-approval process is on speed control and happens in approx 24-48 hrs and money is non-refundable.

No inspection period to back out. Upgrades are non refundable and need to be paid upfront which is fine if everything goes well.

If a buyer is not experienced and not represented then good luck to fight the giant.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Realtors overall use Florida Realtor contracts which are pretty fair written.

Builders use their own contracts which are merely benefiting the builder.

Buyers be ware!

There are great builders who have great supervisors, overseeing the independent contractors that the builder hires. But if that’s not the case then trouble is waiting to happen.

Builders don’t return down payments once a buyer is pre-approved. With a regular resale a pre-approval time frame varies from 20-30 days on average.

With builders he pre-approval process is on speed control and happens in approx 24-48 hrs and money is non-refundable.

No inspection period to back out. Upgrades are non refundable and need to be paid upfront which is fine if everything goes well.

If a buyer is not experienced and not represented then good luck to fight the giant.
These are all good points, however, the buyer has the power of the draw on their side. If they document shoddy construction practices or incomplete work, they can request their bank to hold off on the next draw by the builder. When the cash stops flowing, things get done.

We did this on a Morrison home we built, and within a week of the draw being withheld after being due, our laundry list of issue were resolved. When the next draw was coming up, we once again gave the builder a list of things that had to be resolved before we would approve the draw, and they were all taken care of promptly. I will say there were far fewer items that needed to be addressed at that point, as they knew what was coming (or wasn't coming, for that matter!) if they ignored us.

RM

Old 07-13-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
These are all good points, however, the buyer has the power of the draw on their side. If they document shoddy construction practices or incomplete work, they can request their bank to hold off on the next draw by the builder. When the cash stops flowing, things get done.

We did this on a Morrison home we built, and within a week of the draw being withheld after being due, our laundry list of issue were resolved. When the next draw was coming up, we once again gave the builder a list of things that had to be resolved before we would approve the draw, and they were all taken care of promptly. I will say there were far fewer items that needed to be addressed at that point, as they knew what was coming (or wasn't coming, for that matter!) if they ignored us.

RM
We do not have a "draw", just a deposit to get going and a some additional money that was asked for by the builder at design time. The contract is very skewed though and and clearly states no matter what superficial problems exist as long as they can convince the county to give a CO you must close or else. While there are some areas of concern, one that bothers me significantly is that my representation has recently has not been treated very professionally by our builder (refusing to speak with them F2F and returning calls, etc.).

This makes no sense to me at all, and this builder is making a huge mistake as my representation is from one of the largest and highest grossing KW Premier offices in the entire Tampa bay area has been with KW for two decades, and has personally sold not only this builders homes in the past, but many homes from other builders in every major new construction community on the entire map in Tampa. I must say that by leaving a bad taste in my representations mouth does not seem like a great business value proposition. We are briefly in "wait & see" mode from some recent set backs at present.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:38 AM

Since you are represented that means you should have it much easier than without representation. Since that agent is in business for two decades and has dealt with the builder that should be very easy to get a resolution for your issues.

We represented clients with builders and builders have been very good in resolving the issues for our clients when we spoke up.

Usually the people stuck with issues are the ones who are not represented as builders contracts are clear about representation.

If you and your agent are not able to get anywhere than either the builder might be having the right on their end or something is not handled well. Maybe time to spend money on a lawyer or back out and move on and not closing.

In all cases we were involved in we got results. Even one time the builder chose the highway and gave all money back to buyer and builder was stuck with having to fix everything as County was refusing a CO. Builder thought by kicking buyer out of contract and returning down payments including money for upgrades that had to be paid upfront, was the solution for just applying for CO and selling without repairs.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Since you are represented that means you should have it much easier than without representation. Since that agent is in business for two decades and has dealt with the builder that should be very easy to get a resolution for your issues.

We represented clients with builders and builders have been very good in resolving the issues for our clients when we spoke up.

Usually the people stuck with issues are the ones who are not represented as builders contracts are clear about representation.

If you and your agent are not able to get anywhere than either the builder might be having the right on their end or something is not handled well. Maybe time to spend money on a lawyer or back out and move on and not closing.

In all cases we were involved in we got results. Even one time the builder chose the highway and gave all money back to buyer and builder was stuck with having to fix everything as County was refusing a CO. Builder thought by kicking buyer out of contract and returning down payments including money for upgrades that had to be paid upfront, was the solution for just applying for CO and selling without repairs.
Well, the bottom line for my family is that at present we are hoping and praying for all our concerns to be made right and feel like we are receiving some quality customer service all around.

Unfortunately in times past we have been so raked over the coals by several contractors after hurricane Wilma back in 2005-2008 when were were in Broward county that we are just very gun shy and nervous now when things go awry with anything like this. You would never believe my story about hurricane Wilma and what happened to us in Broward. It's so insane that when I hear myself tell it, I can't believe it. There is a ton to tell but it ended like this... We lived in a massive township with 7 HOA's under one master and it was 3 years of unspeakable insanity with contractors, property management companies and the city trying to put things back together in the aftermath of the hurricane.

There was major theft of money and fraud committed by the main general contractor against the HOA and all the home owners, lousy work + multiple assessments that left all the home owners distraught. It all eventually led to my neighbor getting shot 13x and killed by police (BSO) at the main office in our development in front of all my neighbors and the community. My friends and family are LEO's in WPB and CA. and were just blown away by what happend that day at our development. Regardless of what went down at the end, the catalyst for the whole entire mess was... wait for it...

"CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTORS"

FWIW, my neighbor of several years is an Attorney for a big firm in Tampa that handles lots of different law cases. I was speaking with that person last night and was informed their firm is in litigation with a couple of Tampa builders and sub contractors centered on "framing" issues being the number one deal. Of course there were no details shared, but from what I was told it is very surprising and scary all the bogus construction crap going on right now in Tampa. Sad...

Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
what I was told it is very surprising and scary all the bogus construction crap going on right now in Tampa. Sad...

It has been going on since the early 70's. People only notice it when they buy a new home or someone they know does. As long as builders are allowed to use unskilled illegal labor it will continue. There are tens of thousands of low educated unskilled people sneaking into this country every year. Construction is an easy job to get once they are here.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well, the bottom line for my family is that at present we are hoping and praying for all our concerns to be made right and feel like we are receiving some quality customer service all around.

Unfortunately in times past we have been so raked over the coals by several contractors after hurricane Wilma back in 2005-2008 when were were in Broward county that we are just very gun shy and nervous now when things go awry with anything like this. You would never believe my story about hurricane Wilma and what happened to us in Broward. It's so insane that when I hear myself tell it, I can't believe it. There is a ton to tell but it ended like this... We lived in a massive township with 7 HOA's under one master and it was 3 years of unspeakable insanity with contractors, property management companies and the city trying to put things back together in the aftermath of the hurricane.

There was major theft of money and fraud committed by the main general contractor against the HOA and all the home owners, lousy work + multiple assessments that left all the home owners distraught. It all eventually led to my neighbor getting shot 13x and killed by police (BSO) at the main office in our development in front of all my neighbors and the community. My friends and family are LEO's in WPB and CA. and were just blown away by what happend that day at our development. Regardless of what went down at the end, the catalyst for the whole entire mess was... wait for it...

"CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTORS"

FWIW, my neighbor of several years is an Attorney for a big firm in Tampa that handles lots of different law cases. I was speaking with that person last night and was informed their firm is in litigation with a couple of Tampa builders and sub contractors centered on "framing" issues being the number one deal. Of course there were no details shared, but from what I was told it is very surprising and scary all the bogus construction crap going on right now in Tampa. Sad...
Hopefully this will end well....maybe try to see if you can back out and get your money back.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Hopefully this will end well....maybe try to see if you can back out and get your money back.
Things just got worse...

Repairs not done well, very disappointed but wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

The bank appraisal from their preferred lender just came back this week at $15,000 less than the selling/contract price of $345,000 for the home. The bank was super instant quick to ask us if we are going to pay the difference too.

The final appraisal figure was also LESS than the selling price of what their base model spec home sells for and ours has some realistic upgrades?

They also have a pre-built home around the corner same model as ours w/less upgrades that has been for sale for a little while and the builder dropped the MLS listing price down $6k earlier this month from the original just prior to our appraisal. That home was referenced in our appraisal "as a near by listing".

TOTAL DISASTER

Last edited by Moshaholic; 07-20-2018 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: