Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 AM

333 posts, read 240,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Well, you do have a lot of people moving "in-between" too. Look at what is happening in NC. As for the obsession with FL, I think there are some logical reasons for it:

1. I just got back from the area myself. I can easily swim in the ocean. Went to Clearwater and the water, while chilly, is still warmer in Jan than the lake I grew up on in NH in August. Try swimming in NC this time of the year. Brrr… FL has a beach life year round in much of the state. You can walk around in shorts and sandals all year. You can't further north. Heck, you can't even further north in FL.

2. It doesn't look like where they are from. It's tropical. It's something new. It's exotic. Granted, some tire of this and move up a couple of states to get back to something more familiar.
All fair points. Nc is growing like crazy also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

361 posts, read 259,053 times
Year-Round shorts, yes. Flip-flops out of the house, no. I've been here since '81 and I do shorts and sock-less deck-shoes. Everywhere that doesn't require long pants (and there I still do the sock-less deck-shoe thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
People move here because they can literally wear shorts and flip-flops year-round, AND I MEAN TRULY YEAR-ROUND, and people are obsessed with that possibility, with that lifestyle.

Even when it's 45, people here will their shorts and flip-flops proudly.

I break out the parka.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:20 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
I'm seeing a lot of urban sprawl over the last decade that is concerning. There's no legitimate mass transit system in the TB area and the congestion/traffic is getting unbearable. Hillsborough County hasn't kept up proactively and will be playing catch up. Construction and congestion makes for miserable driving. Then throw in the snowbirds and poor driving skills by many in FL --misery.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I'm seeing a lot of urban sprawl over the last decade that is concerning. There's no legitimate mass transit system in the TB area and the congestion/traffic is getting unbearable. Hillsborough County hasn't kept up proactively and will be playing catch up. Construction and congestion makes for miserable driving. Then throw in the snowbirds and poor driving skills by many in FL --misery.
One aspect of this is that Hillsborough for the most part doesn't have the snowbird issue like Pinellas and (west) Pasco do. That being said, decades of failing to keep impact fees in line with development has seriously hindered our ability to maintain or improve the infrastructure as it should be to keep up with the influx of new residents.

Even with recent changes by the County Commission in this area, I doubt very much that we'll ever catch up.

RM

Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM

278 posts, read 434,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Are you happy living in tampa or surrounding cities, like from Lutz to Bradenton?

Overall what has been the experience living there specially for outsiders non tampa or florida natives, like raising kids, cost of living, housing, traffic. We live in Augusta ga which is very different than tampa as it is a very small city. I'm not native from augusta, only been living here for about 11 years and have never like it but in part is because we missed the ocean.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I may be in the minority here - but here goes - I've lived in Nashville, Houston, small town in Alabama, and Memphis -- and now here.

I hate Tampa. I hate the way the city is run. I hate the way the city looks. I hate the traffic. I hate the lack of good roads. I hate the fact that everywhere you go you have to do U-Turns. It seems like drivers get worse every single day.

The city is freaking expensive. Groceries cost more than anywhere else i've lived. Gas is more expensive. Car insurance is ridiculous. I paid $88 a month for full coverage on my 2 cars in Nashville, and here, lesser coverage is $240 a month. Housing is expensive, you don't get nearly as much land as you would elsewhere. The weather is finicky.

The worst thing -- the lack of good Mexican food. Lots of Spanish and Cuban food, but no good Mexican food.

However -- as much as I hate this place - there are some things to appreciate. It is a pretty vibrant community. I love the diversity of the people and the culture here. You are 30-45 minutes from the some of the best beaches in the United States. You're a short drive from all the Orlando fun if you can brave I-4.

What it boils down to is this - Florida isn't for everyone. I miss seasons, cooler weather, southern charm, etc. I wasn't made for Florida, but I'll make the most of it while i'm here. There really are some fun things to do here.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I'm seeing a lot of urban sprawl over the last decade that is concerning.

Try 4 decades. Rinse and repeat, every ten years.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I may be in the minority here - but here goes - I've lived in Nashville, Houston, small town in Alabama, and Memphis -- and now here.

I hate Tampa. I hate the way the city is run. I hate the way the city looks. I hate the traffic. I hate the lack of good roads. I hate the fact that everywhere you go you have to do U-Turns. It seems like drivers get worse every single day.

The city is freaking expensive. Groceries cost more than anywhere else i've lived. Gas is more expensive. Car insurance is ridiculous. I paid $88 a month for full coverage on my 2 cars in Nashville, and here, lesser coverage is $240 a month. Housing is expensive, you don't get nearly as much land as you would elsewhere. The weather is finicky.

The worst thing -- the lack of good Mexican food. Lots of Spanish and Cuban food, but no good Mexican food.

However -- as much as I hate this place - there are some things to appreciate. It is a pretty vibrant community. I love the diversity of the people and the culture here. You are 30-45 minutes from the some of the best beaches in the United States. You're a short drive from all the Orlando fun if you can brave I-4.

What it boils down to is this - Florida isn't for everyone. I miss seasons, cooler weather, southern charm, etc. I wasn't made for Florida, but I'll make the most of it while i'm here. There really are some fun things to do here.

Dude dude dude, you obviously did not do your research before moving here. Everybody knows this is a Mexican food wasteland. Nobody moves to Tampa (or to Florida for that matter) for the Mexican food. In Florida if you put some rubbery chicken and chopped tomato in a flour tortilla from the supermarket everybody thinks that's "great Mexican food."

Yes the cost of living here is rising. And Publix charges outrageous prices (there are other options, ya know).

You want cheap living, similar climate (sort of), cheaper groceries and much better quality produce (H-E-B!), cheaper gas and great Mexican food? Move to Waco, Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alternatively, what you need to do is embrace what Tampa is good at. Find yourself a fishmonger who can get you fresh stone crabs. Eat lots of Cuban sandwiches. Go to the beach. Go to Disney World. Crap like that.

Last edited by sinatras; 01-15-2019 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 02:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Re Mexican food

Los Camales, a food truck in the hood uh barrio just east of Nebraska and north of Fletcher.
Sketchy area. Don't carry much cash or valuables.
https://loscomalestampa.weebly.com/

Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 AM

86 posts, read 117,311 times
My wife and I lived in St. Pete twenty years ago and were very happy, relocating from NYC. After living there about 18 months I got a phone call from a former colleague of mine in NYC, offering me an insane salary if I returned to NYC and joined his agency. I was greedy and dumb enough to accept. My wife agreed too. On the plane back to New York, I looked at my wife and said "I think we made a mistake"....and we did. The money was great, but, I hated the last twenty years. I will be retiring on March 29, and returning to....you guessed it...St. Pete on April 26th. My wife and I bought a condo right near where we used to live in St. Pete. So, I guess you could say we were happy there. Learn from my mistake: don't leave a place you like for money alone.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:26 AM

93 posts, read 92,740 times
in my honest opinion, i always wanted to live in florida and im glad to be here but i don't like this part of florida im living in. it's way too crowded and too close to the water. I'd much rather live in Ocala instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay