Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times

Advertisements

So on one hand you have a group of people that want pit bulls and they are in heavy demand. They have no problem paying bootleg breeders $100. But this same group for some reason can't bring themselves to go pick up the pits that are waiting to be adopted for cheap or free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
So on one hand you have a group of people that want pit bulls and they are in heavy demand. They have no problem paying bootleg breeders $100. But this same group for some reason can't bring themselves to go pick up the pits that are waiting to be adopted for cheap or free?
First of all, animals from Animal Services aren’t free. At least in Hillsborough County they’re not. There is an adoption fee and a fee for altering them in some cases. Also understand that there are a number of rescue groups that are often breed specific who have agreements with the shelters to take animals as well, which can skew what you see in the shelters.

Animal Services isn’t picky about what they can farm out to others if it reduces the population of the shelter and the rescue group has been vetted. So it’s likely that more “acceptable” breeds are going to rescue groups.

I could argue that this same group isn’t the brightest bulb in the fixture, too, but I think I made my point.

RM

Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
They wouldn't get approved by the shelter!

I found a dog that I wanted to adopt. The shelter employee pulled up my house on the county property appraiser website (to prove I owned it, wasn't a renter) and then pulled up an aerial photo to prove I had a backyard for the dog. Shelters want to find a forever home for the animals, not a temporary home and when the landlord finds out or the dog runs away then the dog is back in the shelter.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
They wouldn't get approved by the shelter!

I found a dog that I wanted to adopt. The shelter employee pulled up my house on the county property appraiser website (to prove I owned it, wasn't a renter) and then pulled up an aerial photo to prove I had a backyard for the dog. Shelters want to find a forever home for the animals, not a temporary home and when the landlord finds out or the dog runs away then the dog is back in the shelter.

Understood. That would go for everyone that walks in the doors no matter what dogs they were looking for. That wouldn't explain why pit bull owners are disproportional affected.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Understood. That would go for everyone that walks in the doors no matter what dogs they were looking for. That wouldn't explain why pit bull owners are disproportional affected.
You're making this harder than it is.

Many of these folks are not going to invest the time and effort to go to a shelter for whatever reason when they can get a dog from Bubba in a handshake deal for $100, case of beer, pickup truck topper, spare Chevy short block, whatever. Call it the underground economy, if you like. If your Budweiser muddin' buddy has a couple of dogs he's willing to sell, they're going to the muddin' buddies he hangs with. Word of mouth, etc., and now everyone wants one of Bubba's dogs to protect their home/property/truck/family, so Bubba is going to breed more dogs.

I would also posit that there are more pit bulls in shelters because of voluntary surrenders. Dog gets out of hand, you can't find a house or apartment to rent because of restrictions on the breed of dog, etc. Hillsborough County is a no-kill shelter that will not turn away an animal brought in for surrender, so any Tom/Dick/Bubba can bring a dog for whatever reason and leave it there.

I think there's been a rather good case to show why there's a disparate number of these dogs in shelters. I'm not sure what else could be said or shown to convince you.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay