Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:04 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid sees all View Post
You'll have no trouble getting dates in Tampa depending on where you hang out.Traffic is a nightmare especially in South Tampa and on Hillsborough Ave which runs north & south as a main thoroughfare.You can follow your interests here depending on what they are and you would rarely be bored as theres a lot to do.The only racism that I've experienced was reverse racism due to us being older white folks that are not Hispanic.Black folks are super cool here and most Hispanics are friendly again depending on what part of Tampa you're spending time in.You could always try it & rent for a year,this way you're not locked into anything until you're sure.I think you'd like it here but dont expect NY quick response time in restaurants on the beaches.Other than that come for a visit and see what you think.
Runs north and south?

All these years i used it it ran east and west lest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:04 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Having a job in hand in Tampa is the way to go. Forget Houston or anywhere else if you don’t have a job locked in. Unemployed and looking? good luck finding a place that will rent to you.

I landed near midnight in Houston one summer years back and the airport notice board said it was 105 degrees! At night!

It is also a bit of a weird city physically. Two skylines with a large gap between the two. Yet it is one big city, they never built inside like the outside edges.

Traffic is nuts.

Depends on where in Tampa you want to be in insurance or banking as they each have their businesss clusters.

St Pete is a nice option.

Take the job in Tampa.

Rent for a year until you get your bearings, build up relationships with colleagues, get their insights and help building friendships in and out of work and you may find you location is right or you have will options to rent elsewhere if the first spot does not work.

If you are taking your NYC salarly level with you, that is a home run.

Salaries can be less in Florida as cost of living not as crazy as NYC but the salary the local economy supports will be enough and hopefully less stressful living and socialining wise. At the exact salary level you are ahead as NY/NYC/ and even NJ taxes are crazy.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid sees all View Post
You'll have no trouble getting dates in Tampa depending on where you hang out.Traffic is a nightmare especially in South Tampa and on Hillsborough Ave which runs north & south as a main thoroughfare.You can follow your interests here depending on what they are and you would rarely be bored as theres a lot to do.The only racism that I've experienced was reverse racism due to us being older white folks that are not Hispanic.Black folks are super cool here and most Hispanics are friendly again depending on what part of Tampa you're spending time in.You could always try it & rent for a year,this way you're not locked into anything until you're sure.I think you'd like it here but dont expect NY quick response time in restaurants on the beaches.Other than that come for a visit and see what you think.
Black folks are "super cool" here, AS LONG AS THEY IGNORE THE GIANT CONFEDERATE FLAG WAVING once they get on the freeway. As long as they ignore the massive segregation in the neighborhoods. As long as they ignore the fact that we have next to no black people in any leadership positions in the local governments.

Let's not pretend like Tampa Bay is a nirvana of racial integration. It most certainly is not.

OP click here:

Tampa

Old 03-30-2019, 04:39 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,803 times
At what point will we ever reach an era of time when it does not matter that you're black for things like moving, getting a job, and just doing anything?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:35 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Being part Jamaican and Puerto Rican I can say Tampa is very diverse. I would say I have seen a lot of middle class blacks in Riverview and a little of Brandon. Tampa the city is changing and has its issues like any big Florida city.

Now as some negative people have posted here, yes if you looking for a city with blacks in charge or in lead positions as your reason for a move to a city, maybe not Tampa. But to me Tampa is less segregated than South Florida. I would say Orlando probably is the best when it comes to higher social economics within the black community. They also have more black leaders I have seen than Tampa. Orange County mayor is black. Good luck with your decision. Screen the negatives and check other forums and visit the area to get an idea. Not just the tourist areas.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 AM

28 posts, read 29,025 times
hmmm, no blacks in leadership?? being black doesn't automatically qualify a person for effective and fair leadership. Just look at disastrous "black lead cities" such as Birmingham and especially Memphis. Go read about the demographics and the leaders there, not to mention the schools, policing, and crime rates. A black lead city maybe somewhere you might not want to live in the first place. Skin color and culture are not determinants of anything, especially culture. Some cultures may not be a good fit. I'd choose Tampa for sure.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
To be honest the OP never asked about having a black or minority leader as a place to move to in her original post. I think she was asking more from a perspective of a 40 and below or more like 20s perspective. Tampa is diverse and dating scene should be strong. Come on down and view it for yourself. I personally don’t like Texas but I’m not from there. Jobs are probably stronger there and better start for a career. The sacrifice is scenery. Not pretty I say. But all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 AM

42 posts, read 55,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The most important question is: Are you a native New Yorker? Where were you born and raised? Are you accustomed to the racist attitudes more prevalent in the South? Probably worse in Florida than Texas, but not sure.
My heart is racing in anger, you horrible person. I live in the deepest of the south, NW Florida, I am originally from St.Louis. I am 53 years old. I've been in the south since the 80's.
You are brainwashed, and spreading LIES. THE SOUTH IS FAR FROM RACIST. THE NORTH IS WHERE THE SEGREGATION IS. YOU ARE UNEDUCATED AND NOT WELL TRAVELED. The south WE ALL LIVE TOGETHER. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE ANSWER.
YOUNG MAN, YOU WILL BE WELCOMED ANYWHERE YOU GO.
THIS IS 2019 NOT 1950. Jesse Lee Peterson well tell you.
The youth of today really need some real facts and history....

Old 04-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Not to mention, the further south you go the more northern one gets.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
At what point will we ever reach an era of time when it does not matter that you're black for things like moving, getting a job, and just doing anything?
When the Democrats quit spreading the racial divide through media. It's sick, IT WAS NEVER LIKE THIS BEFORE, YOU know who, did change America....no hope, just horrible change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay