Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM

43 posts, read 258,497 times

Advertisements

I placed a thread about 9 months ago re: ""My take on Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Westchase, Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor"". At the time, I was assessing an employment opportunity and relocating our family from Philly to Tampa.

The fact is we love it here and plan to remain here for a long time - for the following primary reasons:
- Great Weather: obvious - I know
- Nature Parks/Trails: If you ever visit places like Booker Creek Preserve, Honeymoon Island etc..., you'll feel like you’re in an enchanted place and will experience what the suncoast area was like hundreds of years ago (prior to all the poor planning/development). The natural beauty is awe inspiring.
- My Family is Happy (Overall Quality of Life): As long as my wife and 6 year old are happy - I'm content. Both of them love being outdoors and absolutely hate the cold (except for the holidays). Our weekends feel like mini vacations (biking, kayaking, trails, beaches, simply playing in the backyard...).

OK. Here is my humble opinion for those thinking of moving south. Please Please Please think long and hard about leaving the hustle/bustle, cold and "cost of living" of the NEast - if you have limited financial resources and have children. I will just say, that I would rather be struggling financially in the NEast then here 10X over.

Consider:
- Employment Opportunities and Salary
- Public Schools
- Type of Neighborhood or Apt Complex that you can afford
- Driving Need (lack of public transportation)

The obvious things (I know), but you maybe highly disappointed unless you have done all your homework. This coming from someone that was raised by a non-English speaking, single parent in Spanish Harlem/NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 AM

36 posts, read 190,685 times
Thanks for the update after your move.

Not only due to the current recession, but also due to some "warning signs" from people coming out of FL we have put our relocation on hold. Although FL has always been my goal, when we do make the move it is now not a 100% done deal. Still love the Gulf, but am going to do some research on some of the other states with Gulf access.

Hope things turn around for you....

Chattanooga Girl
Born & raised in Jersey

Old 04-12-2008, 06:59 AM

I should have been more clear - we love it here, because fortunately resources are not an issue for us. In my opinion this area is not for everyone.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 AM

36 posts, read 190,685 times
I understand.
But for me resources are an issue, so I do appreciate the info.
Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 05:11 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I have to wonder if this same thing might hold true for moving any where. Long ago now, but when we moved, I left a steady job and everything familiar. Starting over and finding my way around a new place was not easy at all.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM

61 posts, read 300,388 times
Now just so it's clear for everyone, can you define a minimum amount of resources you think is required (i.e., what's your cutoff)? Are we talking less than six figures, barely six figures or $150K or above? Jut trying to get a sense of what we're talking about here...

Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM

21 posts, read 49,178 times
Hello, we're from the South Bronx and planning to relocate to Tampa or Pt St Lucie. Everything is still up in the air but we're researching daily.

What do you mean by Please Please Please think long and hard about leaving the hustle/bustle, cold and "cost of living" of the NEast - if you have limited financial resources and have children.?

We will have 200k to completely pay off the home, and a yearly salary of about 36k. One 12yr old child. One car.

Can you provide more detail of what your experiencing?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Gosh. I think its such a personal thing. It depends on the area that you choose to live etc... Let me give you an example, I know a single Mom (2 kids and no local family) who is looking to move from NJ to the Tampa area (an apartment), does not have a job yet, little in savings and a very old car. The move would be an escape for her, but I worry things will get difficult for her, plus (this is the part that worries me) some of the areas that she might be able to afford may actually be worse for her kids (schools and violence).

The equity that you have on your home, puts you in a good place. Unless you are very certain that you will like it here or plan to stay long term, I might consider renting. You can get some great deals on home rentals. Then again - w/ cash in hand, you might be able to get a steal on a purchase. Just my opinion.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:43 PM

76 posts, read 331,345 times
I'm sure Philly is not for everyone.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie-c View Post
Hello, we're from the South Bronx and planning to relocate to Tampa or Pt St Lucie. Everything is still up in the air but we're researching daily.

What do you mean by Please Please Please think long and hard about leaving the hustle/bustle, cold and "cost of living" of the NEast - if you have limited financial resources and have children.?

We will have 200k to completely pay off the home, and a yearly salary of about 36k. One 12yr old child. One car.

Can you provide more detail of what your experiencing?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't think that would be a very wise move. 200k to completely pay off a home in Tampa? 36k a year combined?

Please read many of the posts on this forum... thoroughly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay