Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 6,834 times

Advertisements

I have been here a little over 6 months. I got here in August and summer was hot, but it’s Florida, it’s supposed to be hot. Didn’t bother me a bit. The only difference between Maine summers and Florida summers is in Maine summer is about a week long, here in Florida it’s at least 7 months long.

The biggest thing people from up north were saying why I wouldn’t like Florida is of course the heat, then the bugs, the snakes, the alligators, the traffic. In reality, the only thing that has sucked is the traffic and you just have to get used to it. As for the bugs, it’s really not much different then Maine except the bugs are here all year round. Since I have been here, I haven’t seen one snake, I haven’t seen one alligator except when I went to gator land. So, in short, so far I love Florida and it’s been the best move I have ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 02:42 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Catholic Guy View Post
I have been here a little over 6 months. I got here in August and summer was hot, but it’s Florida, it’s supposed to be hot. Didn’t bother me a bit. The only difference between Maine summers and Florida summers is in Maine summer is about a week long, here in Florida it’s at least 7 months long.

The biggest thing people from up north were saying why I wouldn’t like Florida is of course the heat, then the bugs, the snakes, the alligators, the traffic. In reality, the only thing that has sucked is the traffic and you just have to get used to it. As for the bugs, it’s really not much different then Maine except the bugs are here all year round. Since I have been here, I haven’t seen one snake, I haven’t seen one alligator except when I went to gator land. So, in short, so far I love Florida and it’s been the best move I have ever made.

I've lived in many places, some of which Alaska and Seattle. I would hear the same things and I can honestly say... I've never had more mosquito bites than in Alaska and the biggest spiders I would see inside the house were in Seattle. I'm glad you are happy with your move. I've been moving and leaving Florida for years, now back in Florida from California and am very happy with the move. On a side note, if you want to guarantee see tons of wild alligators and I mean tons... next time you are in the Orlando area, check out Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive. It's a protected natural area, 100% wild and free to the public, you drive through on a one way narrow sand road with your own car and you will see hundreds if not thousands of all types of birds and ducks and will see more gators than you can count by the end of the drive. It's also very beautiful, something you don't often think about in Florida. Give yourself around 2 hours to go through it considering the speed limit is 10 mph and there is so much to see.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:23 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Highland Hammock State Park is also a good place to see critters.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Catholic Guy View Post

The biggest thing people from up north were saying why I wouldn’t like Florida is of course the heat, then the bugs, the snakes, the alligators, the traffic. In reality, the only thing that has sucked is the traffic and you just have to get used to it.

Being in Sun City you have to drive 75 north to get to Tampa.That's unfortunate since the whole south Hillsborough is booming with new homes that have cars most with multiple cars. 75 will be a constant traffic jam through malfunction junction till you get to the Bridge. Once you have lived in Florida long enough you will see how things go. Lots of undeveloped land still in Florida. Builders like this because they can build these massive developments with the bells and whistles that retiring baby boomers and young families from up north like. These large pieces of land are surrounded by one lane roads most of the time. These roads to these developments will for the most part be 10-20 years under planned construction. As the new homeowners move in the roads will clog and we will hear reports everyday how horrible the roads are and we need to do something about them. After working construction 26 yrs and driving these roads, Its very important to truly factor driving before buying a house. Unfortunately most don't and those will be the ones that you hear complain the most about traffic.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:50 AM

224 posts, read 228,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've never had more mosquito bites than in Alaska
Good point. I was there during the Spring a couple years back...Along the drive stops between Anchorage and Denali, they were all so large that you could see them coming from 10 feet away. (At least that gave you enough warning to get into your batting stance. )

My worst ration of bites, though, would have to be during a Summer stay several years ago down in Grassey Key/Marathon. (Middle Florida Keys for the non-natives.) Those little guys/gals were vicious. A bug-sprayer plane from the local airport made a couple passes each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay