Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 08:26 AM

60 posts, read 65,855 times

Advertisements

Why are people criticizing a tropical location for being... tropical???
I am visiting Tampa for the first time this July and my brother recently moved to Ft. Myers from Philly.
It's generally hot & humid. That's what he signed up for!
Where there is hot & humid, there are generally bugs.
If it ain't for you, either don't move there or move back to where you came from. Stop complaining.
I lived a large part of my life in Africa and actually prefer long hot & humid summers to chilly falls/winters/springs up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 01:07 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre D View Post
Why are people criticizing a tropical location for being... tropical???
I am visiting Tampa for the first time this July and my brother recently moved to Ft. Myers from Philly.
It's generally hot & humid. That's what he signed up for!
Where there is hot & humid, there are generally bugs.
If it ain't for you, either don't move there or move back to where you came from. Stop complaining.
I lived a large part of my life in Africa and actually prefer long hot & humid summers to chilly falls/winters/springs up north.
I agree ^^^. People that come here and complain are crybabies. I have lived here all my life and the good FAR outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned. I too, love alfresco eating and there are many places we can do that that are nice even in dead of summer. Especially places on the beaches or some of the wide rivers. Plus, I love the lush and tropical vibes of the flora and fauna here. And our beaches have beautiful white soft sand, and water you can swim/play in. Nah, as far as I'm concerned I live in paradise and wish some of the crybabies would go back where they came from cause it's getting waaaay too crowded here now, anyway.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:57 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree ^^^. People that come here and complain are crybabies. I have lived here all my life and the good FAR outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned. I too, love alfresco eating and there are many places we can do that that are nice even in dead of summer. Especially places on the beaches or some of the wide rivers. Plus, I love the lush and tropical vibes of the flora and fauna here. And our beaches have beautiful white soft sand, and water you can swim/play in. Nah, as far as I'm concerned I live in paradise and wish some of the crybabies would go back where they came from cause it's getting waaaay too crowded here now, anyway.
Being a Florida native, as am I, you know then that Florida has always attracted and will always continue to attract transplants from other states, many of whom move here and complain complain complain. Always has been a state full of complainers, and always will be. People move here from NY and complain about the food ("the pizza sucks"). People move here from Philly and complain about the hoagies, the Italian food, the cheesesteaks, bagels, etc. People move here from Chicago and complain about the "crappy hot dogs," stadiums/lack of trains/ballparks/real estate prices. People move here from out West and complain about the humidity and the bugs. People move here from the DC area (or Boston) and complain about the quality of public schools. People move here from the UK, Estonia, Russia, Middle East [insert country here] and complain about the quality of meat, seafood and produce at the grocery store, not to mention they "can't find a decent kebab". Even the Cubans who come here escaping communism in Cuba complain about Florida. Some of them even go back to communist Cuba because they hate it here so much!

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...204732234.html

People relocate here without the slightest idea of what it's like to really live here. Like the California guy who is selling, who thought it would be 75 degrees here year-round, and dry, and bug-free like in his beloved NorCal! He won't be the first, or the last, ex-Californian to hightail it back to CALI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

Last edited by sinatras; 06-14-2022 at 02:45 PM..

Old 06-14-2022, 02:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Being a Florida native, as am I, you know then that Florida has always attracted and will always continue to attract transplants from other states, many of whom move here and complain complain complain. Always has been a state full of complainers, and always will be. People move here from NYC and complain about the food ("the pizza sucks"). People move here from Chicago and complain about the stadiums/lack of trains/ballparks/real estate prices. People move here from the West and complain about the humidity and the bugs. People move here from the UK, Estonia, Russia, [insert country here] and complain about the quality of the seafood and produce at the grocery store. Even the Cubans who come here escaping communism in Cuba complain about Florida. Some of them even go back to communist Cuba because they hate it here so much!

People relocate here without the slightest idea of what it's like to really live here. Like the California guy who is selling, who thought it would be 75 degrees here year-round, and dry, and bug-free like in his beloved NorCal! He won't be the first, or the last, ex-Californian to hightail it back to CALI!
I think Florida could stand to lose a few more californian's

Old 06-14-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Yep!!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2022, 03:06 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
LOL I agree!!

Old 06-14-2022, 09:42 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
@Kluch - August in Central Indiana is very similar to Florida, only it lasts 7-8 months a year.

I get a kick out of people who complain about the heat and humidity here. It’s just as bad in other parts of the country, it just doesn’t last as long.

RM

Old 06-15-2022, 06:52 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
@Kluch - August in Central Indiana is very similar to Florida, only it lasts 7-8 months a year.

I get a kick out of people who complain about the heat and humidity here. It’s just as bad in other parts of the country, it just doesn’t last as long.

RM
Yup, that's pretty much my understanding. We're heading down to Orlando for a week in August (staying at a Disney resort for family vacation) so I fully expect to experience the brunt of Florida heat then. It will be a good determining factor to what it might be like to live near Tampa in the summer. Speaking of heat, we've got an excessive heat warning here in central Indiana (nearing 100 degrees) all week long so we're getting a taste of that now.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much my understanding. We're heading down to Orlando for a week in August (staying at a Disney resort for family vacation) so I fully expect to experience the brunt of Florida heat then. It will be a good determining factor to what it might be like to live near Tampa in the summer. Speaking of heat, we've got an excessive heat warning here in central Indiana (nearing 100 degrees) all week long so we're getting a taste of that now.
You get a "taste" here and there.

Florida gets that taste for 5 months straight (May-Sept) with no relief, not even for a day. Unless we get a day where it's raining all day. Then the temp stays in the low 80s.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:22 AM

983 posts, read 609,224 times
Quote:
Northern Illinois is going to be 96 today and was 98 yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay