Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 07:20 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
This is good info, thanks RM. I was joking about the cash on hand. Sorry, my humor doesn't always translate well over text.

I'll look around a bit more as far as rentals go. As always I appreciate your insight. Indy definitely feels like a bargain compared to Tampa.
Are you looking at Indianapolis, too?

I ask because I have interests there as well. It's far more affordable, but as you would understand, the climate is much different than Tampa. There are a lot of good, solid areas in Indianapolis for existing homes that put you close to a lot of amenities.

If you've got questions about Indianapolis I can probably answer them as well. I don't own any property there at present, as I just sold a house I owned there last year, but I've been in and around the area for many decades, so I'm very familiar with it.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 08:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Are you looking at Indianapolis, too?

I ask because I have interests there as well. It's far more affordable, but as you would understand, the climate is much different than Tampa. There are a lot of good, solid areas in Indianapolis for existing homes that put you close to a lot of amenities.

If you've got questions about Indianapolis I can probably answer them as well. I don't own any property there at present, as I just sold a house I owned there last year, but I've been in and around the area for many decades, so I'm very familiar with it.

RM

No, we actually live here now (south of Indy near Franklin). I think we discussed this a while back... maybe 6 months ago? You sent me a couple of PM's about Tampa specifics at that time. I like Indy as a whole and my wife and I like the midwest (simply because we're familiar with it) the issue for us is really (faith based) community. The church type ('Free Grace') which we are associated with has a major "hub" church near downtown Tampa of all places. My wife and I have followed the church and it's pastor for a long time and have debated about moving down to attend the church and find community. Community is especially important to my wife as she homeschools our kids so she (and our kids) get a lot of social interaction from church. Unfortunately here in Indiana (and for most of the midwest) there just aren't many established 'Free Grace' associated churches. For my wife finding a good homeschool group with similar beliefs as us is really important to her and Florida (in general) seems to have a lot of homeschoolers due to the somewhat poor school systems. Anyways, sorry if that was long winded but needless to say that is the crux of the issue for us. My wife and I grew up in the midwest (she's from Chicago and I'm originally from Columbus, OH) so it's familiar to us but it seems to be a 'Free Grace' church desert.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
West Pasco is the cheapest area to live in. Rents are half of what Tampa is. Just 4 years ago the house behind me was 500 a month.

You would think sooner or later the area would start gentrifying... eh?

Old 06-04-2022, 08:50 AM

Areas my wife has brought up that she finds appealing are Palm Harbor and Tarpon springs. Granted these are probably much pricier areas for rentals considering they're near the coast but does anyone have opinions on these areas, or other nearby areas?

I suggested Spring Hill as it's much further out and I'm guessing rentals will be somewhat cheaper there. Is Spring Hill decent?

Old 06-04-2022, 05:27 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
No, we actually live here now (south of Indy near Franklin). I think we discussed this a while back... maybe 6 months ago? You sent me a couple of PM's about Tampa specifics at that time. I like Indy as a whole and my wife and I like the midwest (simply because we're familiar with it) the issue for us is really (faith based) community. The church type ('Free Grace') which we are associated with has a major "hub" church near downtown Tampa of all places. My wife and I have followed the church and it's pastor for a long time and have debated about moving down to attend the church and find community. Community is especially important to my wife as she homeschools our kids so she (and our kids) get a lot of social interaction from church. Unfortunately here in Indiana (and for most of the midwest) there just aren't many established 'Free Grace' associated churches. For my wife finding a good homeschool group with similar beliefs as us is really important to her and Florida (in general) seems to have a lot of homeschoolers due to the somewhat poor school systems. Anyways, sorry if that was long winded but needless to say that is the crux of the issue for us. My wife and I grew up in the midwest (she's from Chicago and I'm originally from Columbus, OH) so it's familiar to us but it seems to be a 'Free Grace' church desert.
Ahh, yes, now I recall.

I'm really surprised you can't find the church you're looking for in central Indiana, as there are lots and lots of different denominations in the area, especially the farther south you go.

Yes, there is a large homeschool community in Tampa with all sorts of related stuff like their own intramural athletics and such. I worked with someone who homeschools through a church-based group and it was a very robust program from what I heard about it.

Palm Harbor will be out of your budget. Tarpon Springs most likely as well, depending on where. That and Tarpon Springs is a very, very heavily Greek populated community. That's not to say there aren't people who are Greek in Tarpon Springs, but a good part of the population is, so I suspect the church related options in that immediate area outside of Greek Orthodox are limited.

Spring Hill will definitely be more affordable I would think, but now you're getting a good hour away from the Tampa area in general and it's less populated. I don't think there's much, if anything, in the way of beaches up that way, as the coast north of Pinellas County gets pretty rough.

As far as west Pasco "gentrifying", it is, sort of. In fact, I was just up there today to have lunch with the mother in law. I noticed a sign in her neighborhood:

Neighbors, please:
Cut your grass
Take care of your house
Keep your yard clean
Report drug dealers
Lock your cars

If that doesn't give you a warm feeling inside as far as safety and security in the neighborhood, I don't know what would. As for gentrification, it's gone from elderly snowbirds to low life scum and drug dealers to rental properties with young families. So in a sense it's gentrifying, albeit slowly, having hit rock bottom and now on the rebound. Sort of.

RM

Old 06-05-2022, 06:37 AM

30,411 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Ahh, yes, now I recall.

I'm really surprised you can't find the church you're looking for in central Indiana, as there are lots and lots of different denominations in the area, especially the farther south you go.

Yes, there is a large homeschool community in Tampa with all sorts of related stuff like their own intramural athletics and such. I worked with someone who homeschools through a church-based group and it was a very robust program from what I heard about it.

Palm Harbor will be out of your budget. Tarpon Springs most likely as well, depending on where. That and Tarpon Springs is a very, very heavily Greek populated community. That's not to say there aren't people who are Greek in Tarpon Springs, but a good part of the population is, so I suspect the church related options in that immediate area outside of Greek Orthodox are limited.

Spring Hill will definitely be more affordable I would think, but now you're getting a good hour away from the Tampa area in general and it's less populated. I don't think there's much, if anything, in the way of beaches up that way, as the coast north of Pinellas County gets pretty rough.

As far as west Pasco "gentrifying", it is, sort of. In fact, I was just up there today to have lunch with the mother in law. I noticed a sign in her neighborhood:

Neighbors, please:
Cut your grass
Take care of your house
Keep your yard clean
Report drug dealers
Lock your cars

If that doesn't give you a warm feeling inside as far as safety and security in the neighborhood, I don't know what would. As for gentrification, it's gone from elderly snowbirds to low life scum and drug dealers to rental properties with young families. So in a sense it's gentrifying, albeit slowly, having hit rock bottom and now on the rebound. Sort of.

RM
My low life hood has really changed for the better. Homes that sat empty for over 10 years have all been bought up and now owners are living in them. Big change from around 2010 when it was all renters and the homes were worth under 25k. Still nothing like Danashores dorthy but much better than it was.

Still the best thing for west Pasco is a monster CAT5 cane with gust to 225mph wipe it clean from Holiday to Hudson 5 miles inland and never rebuild. Big crash coming again so these homes will be under 40k again. Once gas goes to 8 a gal pal it will all come crashing down like a clown.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Ahh, yes, now I recall.

Neighbors, please:
Cut your grass
Take care of your house
Keep your yard clean
Report drug dealers
Lock your cars

RM
Thanks for the insight on those areas. Unfortunately 'Free Grace's churches are very difficult to find in the Midwest. They seem to be very concentrated in the south eastern states. Anyways, spring hill seemed like potentially a good compromise. A cheaper area for a longer drive. I doubt we would be coming into downtown Tampa except to attend church. Which, based on Google maps, spring hill is roughly 43 minutes from the church we are looking at. I guess to me that doesn't sound terrible and that's based off of what one of my friends, who's lived in Orlando for the past decade, told me. He said something along the lines of driving half an hour to 45 minutes to church or elsewhere is considered the norm for the Florida area. Not sure how accurate that is. Regardless, if you have any other suggestions of decent areas to live in that are semi affordable let me know. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2022, 02:40 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
West Pasco is the cheapest area to live in. Rents are half of what Tampa is. Just 4 years ago the house behind me was 500 a month.
Rentals are cheaper but not dirt cheap anymore in that area. Everyone who cannot afford other (better and newer) areas in Tampa are moving there.
New Port Richey had the highest number of sinkholes back in the days. And many, if not all, were not a part of scam running back then.
Commuting anywhere in Tampa from there is a total nightmare. US 19 seems to be the area with the highest number of car accidents and fatalities.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:46 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,075 times
Spring Hill area - please please please, visit the area before signing rent up there! I am not even sure there are any close to be luxury apartments down that way.

Something I keep forgetting to mention, luxury apartments are usually busy and it's common to find your self in the situation where there is no room by the pool and pool is full of people. Even master communities with great amenities have this problem.

Cheaper communities with just a pool tent to have questionable people around these amenities where most are swimming in their regular clothes...

Old 06-08-2022, 05:09 PM

30,411 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Rentals are cheaper but not dirt cheap anymore in that area. Everyone who cannot afford other (better and newer) areas in Tampa are moving there.
New Port Richey had the highest number of sinkholes back in the days. And many, if not all, were not a part of scam running back then.
Commuting anywhere in Tampa from there is a total nightmare. US 19 seems to be the area with the highest number of car accidents and fatalities.
It's been a total nitemare up here since the mid 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay