Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,276 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move to Florida from Pittsburgh. We are tired of the "grey days" and would like more sunshine. We haven't a clue where to start. We are both in the medical profession so I don't think it would be difficult to find a job. We also have a 2 1/2 year old so good schools are very important to us. Also trying to avoid hurricanes is also a priority, of course. We would like new construction in a family community. I have been looking in Ocala, but it seems there are many of 55+ communities and very few for families. We were also looking in Tampa and the surrounding areas. Can anyone give me any input on family areas that have good schools? I found a developement in New Port Richey called WatersEdge. Does anyone know anything about that area? I would appreciate any information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM

6 posts, read 30,211 times
You will be happy about the change from the grey days! I grew up in Cleveland and do not regret the move 5 years ago.

Ocala does have a little older crowd. There is a lot to choose from here. New Port Richey would not be my first choice with children. Check the Florida sex offender site
http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/Search.jsp

When do you plan on moving?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM

12 posts, read 82,751 times
First step would be to decide where you want to go and make sure. Take a trip down to see the area. Then search for a job, fax your resume every where. I was hired im Gainseville through e-mail. They love technology usage. So fax and e-mail away. Then location, location, location, and research the schools. I have been to Wesley Chapel. Gorgeous. The best part of Florida I believe. Please don't be fooled by wooded areas and nice triple wide mobile homes with huge amounts of land. Usually these are neighbors that are not use to changes. Stay away from any property that has lake front in it due to the alligators. Florida has over 1 million alligators in their state. The discovery channel has proven that. Stay away from back door towns. Like Starke, Waldo, Levy counties. Just be careful. And if you do anything please stay close to major Highways like I-95 and I- 275 major interstates. DO NOT GO ON RT. 301. AT ALL. ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT. Rt. 301 goes from NJ and ends in the Florida Keys. And at night it is about the most scariest thing you can be driving on. There arre no lights only when you enter a county. Then the lights disappear. My husband said if he hits lotto he will donate street lights to Florida. They are in the dark after a certain time. I mean complete dark, especially in the wooded areas. Wesley Chapel is beautiful and very up beat. They have beautiful homes starting at very nice prices. Just go onto realtor.com or even forsalebyowner.com if you don't want to be bothered with a realtor. Type in your price range and go. Wesley Chapel is all brand new and getting bigger, so it's best to get into it now before the prices sky rockett. I have done alot of research on Florida. I am also relocating to Florida from NYC. Wesley Chapel is nice because it is in between Tampa about 30 min. and Orlando about 45 min. There is also Spring Hill, Winter Haven, Lutz, Lakeland, Lakeland Highlands etc. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from the mobile homes if your worried about hurricanes. Because you can never avoid mother nature if she decides to head your way. A nice block or concrete home is best in my opinion. Good Luck

Old 01-05-2007, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,670 times
If Latin Rose means that you are spanish then you will like Tampa much more than St. Pete. Tampa was pretty much settled by Cubans, while the other side of the bay (St.Pete) was settled by pure snowbirds from the Midwest and a few Nuyokas. But it is a nice area, I live in Spring Hill, where everything is more affordable and slower, although it's getting more crowded. Come on down and Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Default Tampa

Tampa is VERY ethnic - heavy Latino population, and always has been. My grandparents came to Tampa from Spain, many Spaniards and Italian immigrants settled the area. Add to that the Cubans and African Americans and you can see that it is a real melting pot. I grew up in "West Tampa" which was almost like a European village consisting of only Spaniards and Italians. Ybor City area used to be a real thriving town -not what it is today. My dad was a career waiter at the Columbia Restaurant in Ybor back when it was the place for all the stars and dignitaries to come to. Yes, if you are of Latin heritage you will really enjoy Tampa - lots of great Spanish and Cuban food too!

I agree about those towns like Waldo, Starke, Lawtey etc. Those have to be the ugliest most backward towns in Florida! However I currently live in Dade City, 35 mi. n.e. of Tampa and it's gorgeous here! Beautiful lush green rolling hills, lots of woods and lakes. It's the county seat for Pasco, so it has the courthouse, also has a small private college (St. Leo) and a community college. Only problem is, like everywhere else in Florida it has been "discovered" and they are building too many homes and not enough amenities to go with it. Still if you like a pastoral setting, it's very relaxed, but about an hour or more commute to Tampa with traffic. Another negative is the homeowner's insurance here in Pasco County - hard to get and expensive!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 9,276 times
Default Wesley Chapel perhaps

thank you so much for all of the good information. I think I will visit Wesley Chapel soon. And then explore from there.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 66,786 times
Default Bradenton Florida

My husband and I relocated from Ohio last June to the Bradenton/Sarasota area. We purchased a home on the east side of Bradenton in the Creekwood developement. This is a wonderful neighborhood with a delightful mix of families and some retirees. We are close to but not too close to I-75, shopping, schools and not more than 30 minutes from the beaches. We have easy access to Sarasota for the opera, theater and upscale shopping and dining but do not have the higher living expenses associated with Sarasota. Generally speaking, homes in the Bradenton area are reasonable as compared to Sarasota. If you are considering Florida please take some time to visit Bradenton. Oh, the weather is gorgeous and the incidents of hurricaines is few and far between in this area. Homeowners insurance is relatively reasonable. What else can I say.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,642 times
Smile New Port Richey Info

We have lived in New Port Richey for the past 12 years and recently built and then sold a home in Waters Edge. I was in Surgical Sales & Marketing for eight years before being recalled to active duty in the military. New Port Richey is a great place for anyone in the medical field due to the tremendous growth rates, aging population, dramatic influx of young, working families and beautiful weather. Waters Edge is a beautiful neighborhood, but we are living in a custom home on 1.1 acres that we designed, so we decided to stay where we are and sell our new home in Waters Edge. Please let me know if you want anymore information. Best wishes.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,707 times
[ort Richey Area Is Very City Like. If You Want More Suburbia Land-o-lakes Is Good Good Schools, Lots Od Subdivisions. If You Want More Woodse Place Country Like, You Can Go To Hernando County. Spring Hill Is City Like, I Went To The Royal Highland Area Many New Houses For Sale Good Schools. Hot Summers, Cool Sprinds And Autumns, Mild Winters Some Cold Days. Love It. Good Luck

Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,055 times
Hi Becky! We are currently thinking of moving to Bradenton/Sarasota and appreciate your input into the Bradenton area. Are you near good, A-rated schools? I hear so much about Bradenton being "scary" with crime. Is that true, or is it being overstated?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay