Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:12 PM

30 posts, read 82,832 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-
I was hoping to get some opinions about a new business idea I have......
I am a nurse and am moving to Lakeland. I have an online store where I sell "awareness" related gifts such as breast cancer awareness jewelry, accessories (pink ribbon themed), and other items. I have sold my items to many different "mastectomy boutiques" and many of my things are handmade. I also make other "ribbon" items for such things as pancreatic cancer, domestic violence, heart disease, etc and also "recovery" items (Alcohol and Drug) and "spiritual" gifts (handmade rosaries, mustard seed items, etc.
I would love to finally open a store that carries these things for people to buy for gifts in Lakeland. My online store is doing ok but I don't make much profit. I have always wanted to try this type of little store and was wondering if you all might give me some opinions about my idea and possible locations which you may think would work..........thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrnwriter View Post
Hi everyone-
I was hoping to get some opinions about a new business idea I have......
I am a nurse and am moving to Lakeland. I have an online store where I sell "awareness" related gifts such as breast cancer awareness jewelry, accessories (pink ribbon themed), and other items. I have sold my items to many different "mastectomy boutiques" and many of my things are handmade. I also make other "ribbon" items for such things as pancreatic cancer, domestic violence, heart disease, etc and also "recovery" items (Alcohol and Drug) and "spiritual" gifts (handmade rosaries, mustard seed items, etc.
I would love to finally open a store that carries these things for people to buy for gifts in Lakeland. My online store is doing ok but I don't make much profit. I have always wanted to try this type of little store and was wondering if you all might give me some opinions about my idea and possible locations which you may think would work..........thanks !
Hi there! I am one of the few on this forum who live in Lakeland, so I will try to respond. First of all, I'm sure you realize the economy isn't great right now, so you will have to have a good bit set aside or to invest in a "bricks-and-mortar" store to last you awhile.

If you really want to go ahead with it, there are a couple suggestions I would have - try to find a little place in the downtown area. It could be in the heart of downtown (if you find an affordable place) but there are also some other areas in the vicinity - one is a small area of a few specialty shops on McDonald St. in the Lake Morton district just south of downtown. Further south is the "Dixieland" district where you will find some small storefronts on either side of Florida Ave, the main drag through town. I don't know how to put you in contact with anyone but you might start by calling the Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Default thanks

thanks- this helps alot-I will investigate those areas for rental prices.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Default forgot

what are the names of the streets in down town lakeland I should know to check the prices?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
I think your business idea sounds great. Of course I agree that the economy isn't the best right now, so it might be difficult. My suggestion is to market your products to stores that you might be able to sell on consignment or even try the flea markets or craft fairs. Once your business grows then open a store front. Just an idea. Hope that helps and hope you have a succesful business venture.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
This thread is from 2008.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,797 times
Florida needs another gift shop. There are so few.

:/

I used to be a sales rep for sports related gear. I had many clients in Fla that were surf shops, windsurfing shops, etc...

A retail store in Florida can be a cash cow. The tourists head down there with a wallet full of cash and leave their common sense back at the house.

Retail isn't rocket science... and location makes a huge difference... so, yea Florida is a touri$t cash cow...

No State Taxes. Whoot.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
While I support your business idea, if you aren't making much profit online, imagine having significant overhead from an actual shop. This is a recipe for disaster, as the demand for these products are neither high nor consistant.

If you are going to spend money to open a brick-and-mortar shop, there are better business ventures to attempt to tackle. I would really keep this business online, where there is no overhead. Even paying $4,000 a month (for arguments sake) for a commercial property, I cant imagine you making enough profit to pay your rent. that is a lot of pink ribbons.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
This is an old posting , from 2008. She is probably over the idea by now...

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
This is an old posting , from 2008. She is probably over the idea by now...
DAMNIT!!!!

How could i miss that. I cant believe i responded to a two year old post!

I will be hearing about this, as I am the first one to call people out for doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: