Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 67,022 times

Advertisements

Been in St Pete for 5+ months and beginning to think about neighborhoods I'd be interested in purchasing a home in for a early 30s couple (no kids). Interested in home's with "character", would appreciate being to walk to stuff occasionally, desire a "middle commute" between jobs in largo & pinellas point, and like a sense of "community". I'm interested in hearing people's opinion about Roser Park. It's a pretty small neighborhood, but it meets my initial criteria. Curious about the crime & bum factor - my assumption is that it's more desirable to be closer to the hospital. Especially since it seems like you're not gonna get a home with a 2 car garage there. I've heard several friends say that it would've really "started to turn" prior to the real estate downturn. To me it's a better value then Old Northeast and would be a good investment as well with all the medical facilities close by. Close to 275 for our commuting needs. Kinda reminds me of some neighborhoods in Denver & Seattle that I always liked.

Old Northeast, Allendale, and Woodlawn meet most of my criteria as well - but don't seem to have as much "upside" or lack sumthin.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 01:44 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Hello

Have you looked at mid county, like Seminole? This is nice and if you decide to stay and have children, the public schools are excellent. Also close to beaches, just a bit more of a drive to the highway, but maybe only 20 mins via Bryan Dairy in the morning.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Seminole is really suburban...

I'd live in Roser Park. It's such an interesting place. A security guard at the children's hospital once told me the area has a lot of crime - this was 2006 - but I don't know if what he said is really the general consensus.

Consider the uptown neighborhood too just west of 4th street, just south of Crescent Lake and north of downtown. Great little neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:32 PM

13 posts, read 64,346 times
The Old Northeast is a MUCH better neighborhood than Roser Park. Yes, Roser Park itslef is interesting. However, it is surrounded by ghetto and far from things you can walk to. The Old Northeast is a great location.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
Default Historic Roser Park is a gem

Good afternoon,

I happened upon this thread and thought it appropriate to respond to "Bungalow." I must respectfully disagree - Old Northeast is not "much better." After residing in St. Pete for 10 years, and Historic Roser Park for 7, I believe I can attest to that.

HRP is a gem, but is located south of Central so many people refuse to even look at it, often on the advice of realtors. Many long time residents of St. Petersburg have no idea it even exists. It is indeed a small neighborhood - fewer than 150 homes - but has a very active Neighborhood Association. Annually, HRP presents a Tour of Homes (April), an Art Festival (Nov.) and holiday luminaries along Booker Creek (Dec.). Monthly porch parties, a New Year's progressive party and several other neighborhood events are held as well. Has HRP overcome all crime? Of course not, but there are still areas of even venerable Old Northeast that have questionable residents and crime.

Finally, "Bungalow" states that HRP is "far from things you can walk to." Again, untrue. It's one of the neighborhoods closest to Tropicana Field - we walk to games several times per year. Bayfront and USF are within easy walking distance, and downtown is just over a mile - not a tough walk at all, along the creek and within the only hills in St. Pete.

I hope you come back to take another look at Historic Roser Park. As closely knit as the neighborhood is, we learned most of our neighbors' names within our first month here and have helped build HRP into a wonderful place to live. Please don't let those who know merely the superficial elements of the area dissuade you. If you'd like more information, or if you are one of those currently dissuading people from this area, please visit the HRP website at roserpark.net.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM

13 posts, read 64,346 times
Default Roser Park

I did not see your reply til recently. Yes, you can walk from Roser Park to Tropicana Field for baseball games if you are not mugged on the way there. I think the person asking the questions was referring to things like shopping, restaurants and museums. Does Roser Park have any within walking distance? A mile is not exactly walking distance for most people. I agree, there are some questionable characters along the border of 4th Street along the Old NE western border. However, that is just at some times and only on one side of the neighborhood. RP is surrounded by either a medical center or ghetto. Im sorry, but it's true. I like your neighborhood a lot but chose to live in the Old Ne so I could walk to decent stores, restaurants , museums and theatre and coffee houses.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 11,738 times
Default Please don't perpetuate myths and half-truths

Unfortunately, "Bungalow" seems to be speaking from cursory or second-hand knowledge of the Roser Park area again. He/she states "Yes, you can walk from Roser Park to Tropicana Field for baseball games if you are not mugged on the way there." As I posted earlier, we have lived in Roser Park for over 7 years and walked to games and NEVER had an issue. Several neighbors will attest to the same. Further, I am a runner, my wife and I walk our dog daily, and she biked or walked to work at the Marine Institute and NEVER had any mugging issues. As for the "shopping, restaurants and museums" statement, Roser Park is the neighborhood closest to the Dali Museum - 4-8 blocks is certainly walking distance. The downtown Publix, shops, and scores of restaurants are 6-8 blocks north of that.

Again, it is unfortunate that a denizen of the north side of St. Petersburg speaks out on an issue of which he/she has at most passing knowledge, based in part on fear and the historic "redlining" of the south side of town. If "Bungalow" truly "like(d) our neighborhood a lot" he/she wouldn't perpetuate myths and half-truths. The people of Roser Park have worked to create a wonderful neighborhood - why doesn't "Bungalow" tout the positives of his/her neighborhood and refrain from tearing down another area? Is there still progress to be made in Roser Park? No doubt, just as there is in other areas. But posting hyperbole does nothing but impede this progress.

As I noted in my last post, if you are interested in Historic Roser Park (the FIRST historic district in St. Petersburg), go check it out. The 2009 Tour of Homes is April 11 - it's a wonderful chance to see the area and meet many of the neighbors. If you can't make that, check out the website (roserpark.net) and see what the neighborhood is all about.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 AM

45 posts, read 134,293 times
Default HRP - a place in my heart

I was born in the house at the bottom of the hill - 609 11th Avenue to be exact. I lived there until I was seven. That's when my mom, recently divorced, moved me and my 3 brothers to a double-wide in Pinellas Park. What a change! I miss RP. I told my wife stories of the house at the bottom of the hill and she had thought maybe I was making the house more than it was was based on what I had remembered. About 3 years about we were in St Pete and I drove her to the house. We parked and knocked on the front door. I introduced myself and asked if I could show their house to my wife. It was occupied by a family that was renting the place. I was saddedened that the house had fallen into disrepair, but it still held it's charm. My wife was able to see the uniqueness of the old place that I had remembered as a boy.

We sometimes fantasize about moving to St Pete (from Miami) and buying the place and fixing it up. RP is a neighborhood that does appear to be rough around the edges at first glance. My wife was put off a bit by some of the folks that were walking down the street when were there, and that the houses seem to not be so nice one block behind 11th / 10th avenues, so I don't think RP is ready for us, or sadly, we're not ready for it. I thank aguaghost and the other owner-residents for doing what they are to make it a fine neighborhood. Maybe someday we will be there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay