Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

106 posts, read 490,713 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Tampa for a mini-vacation in mid march.....
(we had two free tickets to use and had to book 'right away' so given that we had traveled to a lot of other places (more interesting), we decided to pretty much 'blindely' pick tampa...thinking that it'll be a new place if nothing else)

Anyone has any suggestions on things to do? places to see? things to experience in the time we're there? (we'll be there thursday night, coming back monday) we are 30 and adventurous. love the outdoors.

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,091 times
Thank you for all the insightful replies!

sssb2000, In mid March the weather in Tampa is unpredictable. It is very warm on some days and cold (with that I mean sweater weather) on others.

Here are a few ideas of stuff to do in Tampa and its surrounding area:

Kayaking down the Hillsborough River. Check out Canoe Escape: Canoeing the Hillsborough River near Tampa, Florida
for more information and to make reservations.

Bush Gardens - They have alot of rollercoasters, free Beer, and neat shows.

Lowry Park Zoo - You can feed Sting Rays, Giraffes, Lorikeets, ride a camel, and get close to kangoroos.

Beach - Howard Park in Tarpon Springs is an untouched beach, not overrun by tourists. Close by is a restaurant called Snookers Grill. It has great Seafood dishes, and you can feed alligators.

If you are looking for a maintained beach with lots of sping breakers, go to Clearwater beach or Sarasota beach. At Clearwater beach you can rent jet skis and go deep sea fishing (call in first, boats don't go out every day).

The Everglades National Park (about 3 hour drive from Tampa)

St. Augustine (also about 3 hours away)

Orlando, which is a 1 hour car drive away has fun mini golf places, Disney World, and factory outlets.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssb2000 View Post
I'm going to Tampa for a mini-vacation in mid march.....
(we had two free tickets to use and had to book 'right away' so given that we had traveled to a lot of other places (more interesting), we decided to pretty much 'blindely' pick tampa...thinking that it'll be a new place if nothing else)

Anyone has any suggestions on things to do? places to see? things to experience in the time we're there? (we'll be there thursday night, coming back monday) we are 30 and adventurous. love the outdoors.

:-)
The question in this post would be answered even better in the Tampa forum which is where I'm moving it to.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,086,077 times
If you don't mind driving east a little ways you can go wake-boarding... no boat required.

CableWakeboard.com - Two Cable Parks Opening in Florida (http://www.cablewakeboard.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=361&Item id=65 - broken link)

Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,707 times
I agree about the kayaking in the hillsborough river. They will drive you to the river then they come and pick you up. I have gone to the Great Escapes canoeing. It's a fun thing to do for 2 to 3 hours. Bring a lunch and make it a leasurely ride.

There is also sky diving, if you are real adventurous. You could go on a hot air balloon early in the morning.

St. Petersburg, not a terrible drive from downtown Tampa. Sat. mornings, they have a wonderful farmers market with live music, great food, artist, etc. Tower Gardens (or Bok Sanctuary) is also nice. You can view the manatees, though I am not sure where it is. Your hotel can let you know. The electric company is right on the beach and their plant keeps the water warm, bringing the manatees to the warm waters. St. Pet also has events in their parks like music, art shows, etc.

There are nature centers that have nice paths for hiking, and birding.

You could rent wave runners. Water may be cold, but if you are from way up north, you may not mind it.

Calypso deep water diving on Bearss Ave, sometimes gives one lesson that lasts about an hour. Call ahead and see if they would do that. You get a lesson in their own indoor pool. My kids had a blast doing that.

Unless you are really into rollercoasters and amusement parks, I wouldn't go to Busch. I think Lowry Zoo is more for little kids, though that might be your thing. Lowry park does have a nice boat ride that tells you the history of the areas they bring you by. You don't have to go into Lowry park for that. Just buy the tickets. This was several years ago, so I am not sure if they are still doing that. You don't have to drive all the way to Orlando to play mini golf. Grand Prix (not too far from Calypso diving) has a small mini golf, go karts, and I think they still have some more adventurous rides like bungee something or another.

I think St. Augustine is more like 4 hours away, unless you have a lead foot. They have some historical buildings/museums and antique stores.

You may also be able to go parasailing. I don't know if they are out there this time of year, but Sand Key Island (just minutes from Clearwater beach) has people right on the beach that brings you out to the water and go around. They also rent wave runners. Might be slightly cheaper than right in Clearwater beach. It is nice to go later in the afternoon. Find parking, play in the sand and find a restaurant on or near the beach. You can stroll the beach after eating. Relaxing and romantic.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 49,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph_Earth View Post
Thank you for all the insightful replies!

sssb2000, In mid March the weather in Tampa is unpredictable. It is very warm on some days and cold (with that I mean sweater weather) on others.

Here are a few ideas of stuff to do in Tampa and its surrounding area:

Kayaking down the Hillsborough River. Check out Canoe Escape: Canoeing the Hillsborough River near Tampa, Florida
for more information and to make reservations.

Bush Gardens - They have alot of rollercoasters, free Beer, and neat shows.

Lowry Park Zoo - You can feed Sting Rays, Giraffes, Lorikeets, ride a camel, and get close to kangoroos.

Beach - Howard Park in Tarpon Springs is an untouched beach, not overrun by tourists. Close by is a restaurant called Snookers Grill. It has great Seafood dishes, and you can feed alligators.

If you are looking for a maintained beach with lots of sping breakers, go to Clearwater beach or Sarasota beach. At Clearwater beach you can rent jet skis and go deep sea fishing (call in first, boats don't go out every day).

The Everglades National Park (about 3 hour drive from Tampa)

St. Augustine (also about 3 hours away)

Orlando, which is a 1 hour car drive away has fun mini golf places, Disney World, and factory outlets.
Why would you suggest them to go to orlando and St Augustine when they want to EXPLORE tampa.
Thats like telling someone vacaying in CT to take the train and visit NY.
Im sure since you travel alot you've been to the more touristy parts of FL.
And ST. Agustine is not 3 hours!
It takes me 3 to get to Gainesville and the east coast of fl (melbourne).
why would they want to spend half a day driving?
I'm also sure you've looked at travel sites for things to do.
I think you should spend the first day in tampa and do the typical things like the mall, museums (MOSI the bodies thing is back) checking out downtown (ybor, channelside, SOHO)
you know get a feel of the town.
next day, this is where if you wanted to visit a theme park or zoo or aquarium or kayaking and scuba diving.
also I would def visit st. petersburg area the other half of tampa bay. (A bridge ride over) visit their downtown, beaches, waterfronts.
you should really spend the whole day while your over in st pete. at night visit gators in john's pass to wrap up the night. if you had a boat you could dock it right there also there a MCd's when you can park your park and eat if you wanted to fish and go boating.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
go visit Sarasota, which is nice and go see the beach. Bayfront is nice to walk on a good day.
The st leo, and Dade city area is a good day trip. Really it comes to if you want to see, or pay money!
There is a lot of free here. Maybe a ballgame if you are into this. I did enjoy a trip to the villages, which is one hour away. it is near Ocala, horse country which may be an idea!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,321 times
You really are blind if you pick Tampa! I would go to St. Petersburg and Sarasota. Don't waist your time in Tampa, unless you are into strip clubs, taverns and loud spanish music.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,382,584 times
Some suggestions for visiting Tampa:
Stay downtown at the Marriott Waterside
Take the Streetcar to Ybor City one night for Dinner at the Laughing Cat for the BEST Italian, see a show at L'Olivier Cabaret, Have Dessert at La Creperia or Teatro on the Balcony overlooking 7th Ave, enjoy a Cigar and people watching at King Corona
Visit Channelside downtown> visit the Florida Aquarium and/or the USS Victory, have some lunch and bowling in an upscale autentic atmosphere at Splitsville in Channelside, enjoy a few drinks and the guitarist outside at margarita mama's(dont eat there though).
Rent some bikes from Flying Fish on MacDill Ave and ride around South Tampa, along Bayshore Blvd from Downtown to Ballast Point and back...
I like the previous note about renting Kayaks at Canoe Escape off Fowler Avenue and go down the Hillsborough River
A trip to Tampa would not be complete without esploring Fort DeSoto Park and North Beach..rent bikes, rent kayaks, explore the fort, take a boat over to Egmont Key, snorkel....

Just a few suggestions....

Old 02-05-2009, 08:57 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Great suggestions Tampaguy. There is also a ghost tour in Ybor on the weekends. Ybor City Chamber of Commerce - Visitor Information (http://www.ybor.org/index.cfm?section=vs - broken link)
If you are into history, check out the casitas (houses) that the cuban workers lived in that have been restored. There are also tunnels from the days of number running.

Be sure to go to one of the Cuban Restaurants for lunch. Cuban sandwich pressed or a plate of cuban food. You could also go to one for cuban toast and coffee in the AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay