Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 PM

170 posts, read 234,046 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data Members,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and I decided to finally join and create a post. I'm finishing my last year at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville and trying to decide if I should return to my hometown Tampa, FL.

Here's a snippet about me:
22 year old multi-cultural male, who enjoys a vibrant art & music scene, I also identify as LGBT and am proud to see my hometown make moves more acceptable for the LGBT/progressive community (domestic registry, housing protections etc.). Still unsure of a "career" choice (currently interning for a fashion publication), plan to attend graduate school within 1-2 years.

What I love about Tampa Bay
I absolutely enjoy the culture of Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg's eclectic downtown, the hipster scene in Ybor City, beaches, subtropical weather, Tampa International Airport, CUBAN FOOD (Living in North Florida I miss having variety), locale (easily can access Atlanta in 7 hrs, Orlando 1.5, SoFL 3.5).

What I dislike about Tampa Bay
Lack of mass transit, lack of walkable neighborhoods (unless in St. Petersburg, or the more urbane neighborhoods of Tampa).

Cities I'm considering
Austin, Los Angeles (Los Feliz, Echo Park, South Pasadena), San Diego, Denver, Portland, Tacoma/Seattle/Bellevue, Philadelphia, NYC (Williamsburg, Park Slope), Atlanta (Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands). I'd prefer a more temperate climate akin to the Piedmont area/Northern Florida. However, I'm willing to relocate to (NYC, Denver, Philly; albiet cold climates for the experience/options).

Comprable Tampa Bay neighborhoods
Tampa (Seminole Heights, SoHo, Ybor City, Channelside/Downtown, Davis Islands)
St. Petersburg (Downtown St. Pete, Kenwood).

Concerns:
I'm afraid of getting "stuck" in Tampa. There hasn't been greater emphasis on (mass transit, higher paying jobs versus tourism/hospitality). There's this "half-a$$" attitude to getting things completed, lack of a VISION (There are still community rivalries Tampa vs. St. Pete, lack of working together as a region).

In closing, I absolutely LOVE my hometown. I grew-up in Central Tampa and loved growing-up in the Bay Area during my adolescent years, I just want to find a city that is progressive (not necessarily politics) for young professionals. I have less than 6 months until I complete my undergraduate studies, and plan to travel and complete some "soul-searching." However, what advice or what is your take on the Bay Area? There is a-lot of POTENTIAL within the area, however I'm young and time is ticking.

Last edited by gjosephunf; 09-17-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Mass transit won't happen in your life time-it just won't. The walkable neighborhoods will happen if people tire of the suburbs, which I think is happening.

I'm thinking you'll return to Tampa, but put away some money and keep your options open so you won't get stuck. The universe doesn't revolve around Tampa Bay and there's other, better places that might fit what you're looking for.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
What vaughanwilliams said.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Based on what you're looking for and what cities you've listed, I'd say that Portland might be more in line with what you are hoping to accomplish. The weather is a little cooler than you prefer, but guess that really depends how much of a priority that is for you.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
I absolutely recommend living in at least one, if not more, of the cities you mentioned before moving back to Tampa. You have plenty of time to come back home. Enjoy those cities, and then move back to Tampa later!!!

Out of all those cities I would recommend LA, San Diego and Austin. Best weather, walkable neighborhoods, amenities, etc. Portland is faboo in summer, but the rest of the year can be depressing.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
I'm not sure how LGBT friendly austin would be though, it is texas and all :/ SD and LA sound really good but probably way expensive (hence why i suggested portland)... seemed like the best option for the money but SD would be the best if money wasnt an importance. Just my opinion

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjosephunf View Post
Hello City-Data Members,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and I decided to finally join and create a post. I'm finishing my last year at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville and trying to decide if I should return to my hometown Tampa, FL.

Here's a snippet about me:
22 year old multi-cultural male, who enjoys a vibrant art & music scene, I also identify as LGBT and am proud to see my hometown make moves more acceptable for the LGBT/progressive community (domestic registry, housing protections etc.). Still unsure of a "career" choice (currently interning for a fashion publication), plan to attend graduate school within 1-2 years.

What I love about Tampa Bay
I absolutely enjoy the culture of Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg's eclectic downtown, the hipster scene in Ybor City, beaches, subtropical weather, Tampa International Airport, CUBAN FOOD (Living in North Florida I miss having variety), locale (easily can access Atlanta in 7 hrs, Orlando 1.5, SoFL 3.5).

What I dislike about Tampa Bay
Lack of mass transit, lack of walkable neighborhoods (unless in St. Petersburg, or the more urbane neighborhoods of Tampa).

Cities I'm considering
Austin, Los Angeles (Los Feliz, Echo Park, South Pasadena), San Diego, Denver, Portland, Tacoma/Seattle/Bellevue, Philadelphia, NYC (Williamsburg, Park Slope), Atlanta (Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highlands). I'd prefer a more temperate climate akin to the Piedmont area/Northern Florida. However, I'm willing to relocate to (NYC, Denver, Philly; albiet cold climates for the experience/options).

Comprable Tampa Bay neighborhoods
Tampa (Seminole Heights, SoHo, Ybor City, Channelside/Downtown, Davis Islands)
St. Petersburg (Downtown St. Pete, Kenwood).

Concerns:
I'm afraid of getting "stuck" in Tampa. There hasn't been greater emphasis on (mass transit, higher paying jobs versus tourism/hospitality). There's this "half-a$$" attitude to getting things completed, lack of a VISION (There are still community rivalries Tampa vs. St. Pete, lack of working together as a region).

In closing, I absolutely LOVE my hometown. I grew-up in Central Tampa and loved growing-up in the Bay Area during my adolescent years, I just want to find a city that is progressive (not necessarily politics) for young professionals. I have less than 6 months until I complete my undergraduate studies, and plan to travel and complete some "soul-searching." However, what advice or what is your take on the Bay Area? There is a-lot of POTENTIAL within the area, however I'm young and time is ticking.
Travel! How about Miami?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Austin is extremely lbgt-friendly. Much more so than Tampa.

Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce : LGBT supportive businesses and community events

Is Austin Tx gay friendly?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
If you can afford to live in Denver or San Diego, do it and never look back.

Tampa pretty much sucks and seems to be content in its current state of economic malaise.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
NOPE. I would go to a Forum and ask a bunch of people that you don't even know what you should do with your life. You've lived here so there is nothing that can be added that you don't already know about Tampa.

I think you should go to Forum of each city that you mentioned and ask them if you should move there.

Better yet, go to school and earn your degree. Then travel to find yourself on your soul searching tour.

On a serious note: Actually, if you don't have college debt now is exactly the time to travel before you don't have the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay