Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 15,695 times

Advertisements

I will have the oppertunity to move back to Tampa within the next year and was hoping that some of you could help me get an idea if I can live comfortable on 35k a year. Currently I pay $1025 a month for mortgage for 1300sq ft home in nice neighborhood(homes in the $160-$190s), $1800 a year property tax, $600 year home owners insurance, car is paid for, do not have any debt, dont owe any large amounts on credit cards, single w/3 dogs, live alone, $70 car insurance, $300 mo utilities, etc. I live in Raleigh NC and would love to move back to Florida. Was born in Tampa and lived in Land o Lakes for the 1st 15 years of my life, 30 now and have always wanted to come back to Florida. My job would be located on the west side of Tampa near Race Track Road. I currently commute 45 minutes to work (25miles) and am ok with living a little further out if need be as long as daily commute is not much worse than the one I have right now. I would want to rent a house for a year or so until I get familiar with surroundings. Can you rent a decent house for $1000 mo? I guess what I want to know is if my income can get me about the same in Tampa as it does in Raleigh NC. I pretty much lived stapped on the amount of money I make but I am happy with all that I have. Any info would be greatly apreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
I think you'd be able to find a house for $1000. Utilities and h20 might be about equivalent to what you're currently paying, maybe less. You won't pay state income tax, which is a plus. If you bought a house, you'd pay a lot more for property insurance in FLA (hurricanes) and property taxes.

I'm moving to FLA this summer on about the same income (single, no dogs, though) and plan on living comfortably. Other expenses like health insurance, entertainment (Buc season tickets?), eating out a lot, etc. can make living on $35k difficult.

If you live beneath your means and not waste a lot of money on material goods, you should be well off, imo.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM

428 posts, read 1,472,281 times
yes

Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1979 View Post
I will have the oppertunity to move back to Tampa within the next year and was hoping that some of you could help me get an idea if I can live comfortable on 35k a year. Currently I pay $1025 a month for mortgage for 1300sq ft home in nice neighborhood(homes in the $160-$190s), $1800 a year property tax, $600 year home owners insurance, car is paid for, do not have any debt, dont owe any large amounts on credit cards, single w/3 dogs, live alone, $70 car insurance, $300 mo utilities, etc. I live in Raleigh NC and would love to move back to Florida. Was born in Tampa and lived in Land o Lakes for the 1st 15 years of my life, 30 now and have always wanted to come back to Florida. My job would be located on the west side of Tampa near Race Track Road. I currently commute 45 minutes to work (25miles) and am ok with living a little further out if need be as long as daily commute is not much worse than the one I have right now. I would want to rent a house for a year or so until I get familiar with surroundings. Can you rent a decent house for $1000 mo? I guess what I want to know is if my income can get me about the same in Tampa as it does in Raleigh NC. I pretty much lived stapped on the amount of money I make but I am happy with all that I have. Any info would be greatly apreciated
Based on your post, I believe you can have the same lifestyle at the same cost in Tampa.

Good luck to you, and welcome back!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
The hardest part will be to find someplace that will rent to you with 3 dogs especially if they are big dogs.

Check out Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Odessa or Citrus Park all fairly close to Race track road.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,000 times
We have 3 dogs and I had good luck posting an ad on Craigslist stating what we were looking for. I received tons of emails and that is how we got the house we are moving into this weekend.

I put what we were looking for, the types and weights of the dogs and that we had good credit and no criminal history. HTH!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 15,695 times
Default Can I live comfortable in Tampa on 35k a year-single

Thanks to all who responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay