Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM

31 posts, read 109,937 times

Advertisements

The appeal to me is definitely in the charachter of the neighborhoods/homes, the walkability and the local businesses. The reason my wife and I decided not to move there though is the congestion, busy streets and a trip we took down there after a rainstorm when we discovered just how bad the drainage is on many of the streets down there.

Other things to keep in mind: you have to deal with Gasparilla once a year (big stink being raised by the residents about this right now), people parking in the already congested streets to hit the bars every weekend, increased insurance premiums because much of the area will be underwater in even a moderate hurricane and a general sense of snobbiness (for lack of a better word) from many of the people in the area. It's an interesting area but a little too trendy for my tastes. Most of my friends have lived down there at some point or another (or still do), some love it and some list the same issues I had above. In the end it just comes down to what you are looking for and what your idea of an ideal place to live is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus901 View Post
The appeal to me is definitely in the charachter of the neighborhoods/homes, the walkability and the local businesses. The reason my wife and I decided not to move there though is the congestion, busy streets and a trip we took down there after a rainstorm when we discovered just how bad the drainage is on many of the streets down there.

Other things to keep in mind: you have to deal with Gasparilla once a year (big stink being raised by the residents about this right now), people parking in the already congested streets to hit the bars every weekend, increased insurance premiums because much of the area will be underwater in even a moderate hurricane and a general sense of snobbiness (for lack of a better word) from many of the people in the area. It's an interesting area but a little too trendy for my tastes. Most of my friends have lived down there at some point or another (or still do), some love it and some list the same issues I had above. In the end it just comes down to what you are looking for and what your idea of an ideal place to live is.
I think you are speaking of just a few South Tampa neighborhoods regarding Gasparilla once a year parade, and the bars/congested streets. There are over a dozen neighborhoods in South Tampa, which is considered the land that is South of Kennedy Blvd from Westshore Blvd/Tampa Bay on the West to Bayshore Blvd/Hillsborough Blvd on the East.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:05 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Yes, I believe this is very true. The one thing that doesn't make sense is why/how there are still so many trailer parks in relatively good areas of Clearwater, Safety Harbor, Dunedin, etc. We all know the land is expensive and we all know that trailers are cheap and easy to get rid of. No wrecking ball required, just hitch them up and in one afternoon, presto... instant build-able land!

And in fact I'm surprised that there aren't more homes being bulldozed. If the market ever picks back up it might happen. There is a lot of near-bayfront land being occupied by homes that could be bought up cheap and disposed of.

Mmmm...yeah, like that lovely development that's being built at Belcher & Gulf to Bay.
Oh, wait, it's not. The developers just forced the elderly residents out, and left an eyesore when the market went south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay