Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times

Advertisements

We are starting to see coyotes in many areas around Pinellas Cty, here's an article on what to do...

Take Precautions to Deter Coyote Presence

Coyotes are amazingly adaptable, and can survive in nearly any habitat. They arrived in the 1970s and have found a home in parks and preserves, and in wooded areas that surround many residential areas.

“As long as residents keep wildlife wild and do not provide easy meals to them, they should not pose a threat to people,” said Dr. Welch Agnew, director of Pinellas County Animal Services. “The problem comes in when people start leaving food outside their homes, or leave trash available, or allow their cats and dogs to roam the neighborhood. Then, we are providing easy meals to wild coyotes, inviting them into our areas, and encouraging them to lose their natural fear of humans.”

Residents are reminded to follow simple precautions to prevent the threat of coyotes:

Never leave pet food or trash outside where it will attract wildlife.

Clear brush and dense weeds from around dwellings. This reduces cover for coyotes and their prey, such as rodents and other small animals.

Protect children. Although rare, coyotes have been known to seriously injure children. Do not leave young children unattended, even in a backyard.

Protect pets and livestock. These are favorite prey for coyotes. Keep pets indoors, especially at night. Keep dogs and cats leashed at all times. There is a Pinellas County Ordinance that prohibits dogs or cats from roaming freely.

Use negative reinforcement. Make sure the coyotes know that they are not welcome. Make loud noises, throw rocks or spray with a garden hose.

Report any coyote threats to people or pets to Animal Services at (727) 582-2600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Use negative reinforcement. Make sure the coyotes know that they are not welcome.
Done.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM

149 posts, read 467,304 times
I also saw that a wild boar attacked some woman in St. Pete shortly before those coyotes starting showing up on the news. Dangerous place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Done.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
You guys are sooooo funny!! If I had that type of gun and knew how to use it I wouldn't have to learn anything else.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times
I haven't heard this but I swear I saw a Fox in my backyard a few weeks ago. A Coyote is like a dog, right? Much bigger than a Fox? I backup to a golf course so I assume what I saw lives out there.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 9,539 times
I went to a program at East Lake Library a few weeks ago. It was given by the guy who used to be the county wildlife officer. He said the county had to eliminate the
position a couple of years ago because of the budget!!! How bright was that???
I heard that he used to respond to coyote complaints and alligators and just about
anything else. Maybe it's time to start e-mailing and calling the bigwigs and get
him back.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:30 PM

79 posts, read 557,836 times
I used to live in Volusia Country for 5 years, we had it all.

coyotes, bear, alligators, wild boar, deer, tyrannosaurus rex........naw, just kidding on the deer

but it was pretty wild in West Volusia.
I loved the Owls, Hawk, Osprey, Bald Eagles and Sand Hill Cranes coming to your door for bread......lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes in Pinellas-eagle1.jpg   Coyotes in Pinellas-gator2.jpg   Coyotes in Pinellas-redhawk.jpg   Coyotes in Pinellas-sandhillcranes3.jpg  

Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Your post reminded me that when I was at Lake Jovita in Dade City last week, I had to wait for a gaggle (is that right?) of Sand Hill Cranes to cross the street. Geez, they took their time! I took a pic with my phone, but it's not worth posting.

Our property backs to wetland/conservation. We always see critters, but never a coyote. We used to see bobcats, too, but it was long ago.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramictec View Post
I used to live in Volusia Country for 5 years, we had it all.

coyotes, bear, alligators, wild boar, deer, tyrannosaurus rex........naw, just kidding on the deer

but it was pretty wild in West Volusia.
I loved the Owls, Hawk, Osprey, Bald Eagles and Sand Hill Cranes coming to your door for bread......lol.
You'd be amazed at how much wildlife there is in North Pinellas, even in pretty urban areas. My daughter logged 31 different species of bird just in our backyard and the one next door (including a red-shouldered hawk that stopped in for lunch, much to the dismay of the wood doves who...ah...provided it).

As for the T. Rex in Volusia...I think we used to live next door to him. Liked his beer an awful lot, IIRC.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM

12 posts, read 24,371 times
We are INFESTED with Coyotes here at my place in the Largo area. I have photographed them several times and picked up half eaten cats. I see Coyote crap every day in my yard. There are at least 13-15 of them in the woods behind my house. I have a loaded rifle ready and will start burying them soon. I do not want to, and I know they are just trying to get by. But as I said, WE ARE INFESTED with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay