Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM

29 posts, read 94,110 times

Advertisements

I live in St. Pete, but will travel anywhere in the Tampa Bay area for a really good endo. I have a severe case of auto-immune hypothyroidism and trying to find an endo who will listen and really care and explain things has been impossible. I've seen two so far and one was worse than the next.

If anybody can give me a recommendation I'd be eternally grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM

86 posts, read 237,029 times
check this one out......no personal experience

Dr. Sylvia Campbell, Surgeon. 217 S. Nantanzas Ave, Tampa, FL 33609, 813-875-2655. A reader shares, "Dr. Campbell is incredible. I am a nurse and I first had contact with her speaking at a conference I was attending. I thought to myself if I ever need a surgeon she would be it. I had heard through the grapevine later on how good she was in several specific situations. Also all my coworkers think she is great. When I knew that I needed thyroid surgery I asked my friend the pathologist whom he would recommend and she was on his list of high favorites. Also my endocrinologist recommended her. Her office looks like a home and there is beauty all around you when you are there. The staff are really nice and helpful. Dr. Sylvia is so thorough and always remembers that you are the patient. She explains the surgery well and has you make a list of questions right up to surgery. She will phone you at home the night before surgery and ask if you have any more questions. She was right beside me preop supporting me. After surgery when I had problems with my bandage (not her fault) and she had to be called in the night, she was very kind to the nurse who took care of me. After surgery she was looking out for my emotional health with the cancer diagnosis and making sure that I had a support system in place. The physical scar is looking great with no problems after surgery. She gave me lots of tips on how to make the scar fade the best."

Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM

154 posts, read 533,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imguytpa View Post
check this one out......no personal experience

Dr. Sylvia Campbell, Surgeon. 217 S. Nantanzas Ave, Tampa, FL 33609, 813-875-2655. A reader shares, "Dr. Campbell is incredible. I am a nurse and I first had contact with her speaking at a conference I was attending. I thought to myself if I ever need a surgeon she would be it. I had heard through the grapevine later on how good she was in several specific situations. Also all my coworkers think she is great. When I knew that I needed thyroid surgery I asked my friend the pathologist whom he would recommend and she was on his list of high favorites. Also my endocrinologist recommended her. Her office looks like a home and there is beauty all around you when you are there. The staff are really nice and helpful. Dr. Sylvia is so thorough and always remembers that you are the patient. She explains the surgery well and has you make a list of questions right up to surgery. She will phone you at home the night before surgery and ask if you have any more questions. She was right beside me preop supporting me. After surgery when I had problems with my bandage (not her fault) and she had to be called in the night, she was very kind to the nurse who took care of me. After surgery she was looking out for my emotional health with the cancer diagnosis and making sure that I had a support system in place. The physical scar is looking great with no problems after surgery. She gave me lots of tips on how to make the scar fade the best."
I don't think that a surgeon or surgery will help the original poster who has hypothyroidism.

Thyroid problems need a lot of patience to be fixed, you need a doctor who is ready to go little steps at a time and that is not easy to find. Unfortunately, I have no recommendation for a good endocrinologist in the Tampa area.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
I have to agree with TampaOrNotTampa.
I have hypothyroidism and never has anyone considered sending me to a surgeon. Surgeons know how to fix things by doing what they know best......surgery, which is sometimes indicated but not routinely.
That being said, a good endocrinologist who will work with you for an extended period of time is very hard to find. I'm in NY, where good doctors are aplenty, and I've had trouble finding one who is patient, knowledgeable and willing to work with me. Sometimes it takes lots of tweaking of meds to find the right balance.
I'm moving to the TBA in august and have concerns about finding good doctors; some on this board have remarked about the dreadful medical care in the area. Someone please tell me they're wrong.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 17,952 times
Susan C, did you find a good endocrinologist? Please provide details if you have. I live in the Tampa area and have Hashimoto's thyroiditis with hypothyroidism, am in desperate need of a good endocrinologist who will take the time to care and address my health issues!!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 16,245 times
Default southA1

did you find an endocrinologist? if so would appreciate his info. I am in the tampa area.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,683 times
Default Also Looking

Has anyone found anyone they like? I too am looking for an endo to help with autoimmune diseases, most notably hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I haven't tried them yet, but I recently found ihealthtampa.com/tampathyroid - it seems like they get it and might be useful. Unfortunately they're way up in Wesley Chapel (I'm in St. Pete) but if they can help the drive is worth it.

Last edited by gohiking26; 05-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: hyperlink messed up

Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 14,880 times
Has anyone found a good endocrinologist yet? I too have hashimoto's/hypothyroidism and am in need of a good doctor. I want to take Armour instead of Synthroid - Synthroid did nothing for me and I have been off meds since 2/2012. I have no insurance but am at my wits end right now and need to see a competent doctor who will listen to my symptoms and give me the right blood tests to diagnose and give me what I need. Is there a support group in this area for hypothroidism?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM

37 posts, read 77,224 times
Dr Mark Lupo & Dr Zsofia Geck in Sarasota w/The Thyroid & Endocrine Center of FL. They are the only Thyroid-dedicated Endocrinology Specialty Center in the State of Florida. He is also very loyal to Medhelp.org Thyroid forums & answers questions daily posted by people from all over the world that are dealing with thyroid issues. His website is Thyroid & Endocrine Center - Endocrinologist Florida & their phone number is 941.342.9750 ext. 112 Erica for an appt.
Best of luck with & have a fantastic Friday!!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyNina View Post
Has anyone found a good endocrinologist yet? I too have hashimoto's/hypothyroidism and am in need of a good doctor. I want to take Armour instead of Synthroid - Synthroid did nothing for me and I have been off meds since 2/2012. I have no insurance but am at my wits end right now and need to see a competent doctor who will listen to my symptoms and give me the right blood tests to diagnose and give me what I need. Is there a support group in this area for hypothroidism?

While I personally have not used her, Dr. Carol Roberts in Brandon is one of the few docs who does prescribe Armour. I'm currently on my second doc (I've seen Dr Henry in Brandon and Dr. Troya in Zephyrhills/Tampa). Dr Henry was pretty useless for thyroid stuff. Dr Troya is slightly better, he atleast did an ultrasound of my thyroid and found (uncancerous) nodules. Alas, I'm still on synthroid though, but Dr. Roberts is on my list to check out if I'm still unsatisfied with Troya after my next visit. From what i've read of Dr Roberts is that she's more of a holistic doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay