Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,627 times

Advertisements

DH and I are thinking about a move to the Lakeland area in the next 12 months. In looking at the job market both Tampa and Orlando seem to be doable commutes (I lived in NVA for 27 years, nothing scares me after that commute ) but I am wondering from Lakeland are you more likely to travel in rush hour traffic if you are heading to Tampa or towards Orlando? Or does it really not matter?

Just wondering where I should put my emphasis if I want a commute of under an hour.

Thanks

Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renysmom View Post
DH and I are thinking about a move to the Lakeland area in the next 12 months. In looking at the job market both Tampa and Orlando seem to be doable commutes (I lived in NVA for 27 years, nothing scares me after that commute ) but I am wondering from Lakeland are you more likely to travel in rush hour traffic if you are heading to Tampa or towards Orlando? Or does it really not matter?

Just wondering where I should put my emphasis if I want a commute of under an hour.

Thanks

Kelly
Tampa. We used to lived in Lakeland, my DH commuted to downtown Tampa - about a 40-45 minute drive depending on traffic and time of day. It is more like an hour to Orlando, and IMO a LOT more traffic.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
It is longer to Orlando more like over an 1 1/2 in traffic, sometimes more if you hit the Disney area....forget it..... plus in Orlando all you have is I-4 in Tampa you have more options, 1-75, 275, back roads that may not be as busy....Lakeland is much closer to Tampa...

Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM

729 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Tampa is better. As algia pointed out, the Disney area alone can be a nightmare. This doesn't include passing I-drive or getting through Downtown Orlando.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,627 times
Thanks everyone, this really helps alot..

Anything else you can tell me about the Lakeland area. Hard to do do research on the internet.. We will be getting down there, probably in September to really research and explore..

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renysmom View Post
Thanks everyone, this really helps alot..

Anything else you can tell me about the Lakeland area. Hard to do do research on the internet.. We will be getting down there, probably in September to really research and explore..
I agree with Tampa also...

Do a search for Lakeland in the upper left hand corner there has been alot of good postings about Lakeland.

I just moved to Lakeland a couple of months ago.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Here are some websites for you:

City of Lakeland

home

Lakeland Daily Photo

and here is a neat one from google maps, showing neat photos from all around:

lakeland fl - Google Maps

That's all I have time for right now, if you search this forum I have written many long posts about Lakeland in the past when we lived there. It is a nice little city to live in, best neighborhoods are just south of downtown (southside) and further south in Lakeland Highlands.

Oh, and one more right from this website showing nice photos:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lakeland-Florida.html

Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
If I were you I wouldn't commute. Why not just live in the city you'll be working in or live within 10-15 of the job. The commute from Lakeland to either city is going to be an absolute horror. Lakeland is closer to Tampa but when you factor in the traffic, the constant construction, and the idiotic drivers in the area you'll be stressed out beyond belief.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:34 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
My husband commutes from Pinellas county to Lakeland every day, and hates it! Way it is though as that is where the job is. It takes him between 45 and 65 mins a day. that's a lot of driving on top of your work day. So I'd stick as close as you can to your job. Anything that involves a longer ride on the highway is fraught with the possibility of hold ups, and no where to exit. At least on city and county roads you can drive in alternative directions to get where you need to be.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I agree with Tampa.. there are lots of really nice areas in Tampa. I surely wouldn't want to drive from Lakeland every day unless there was a good reason for me to live there. If gas goes back up to $4.00 a gal you will spending twice a lot on gas not to mention the wear and tear on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay