Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

22 posts, read 49,373 times

Advertisements

My family may be relocating to the St. Pete area.

We are looking for an area that is safe and preferably within walking distance to downtown St. Pete. We have small children. One of which will be attending school. I only find Mt Vernon? Any feed back on this school?
We love the bungalows we are seeing for rent. We would prefer a historic district to a suburb. However, we also noticed some will state "section 8 ok"... should this be a red flag that an area isn't the best?
I have been to the area before and I recall some areas that I would prefer to avoid. Any information would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 PM

46 posts, read 126,120 times
Hi There, I don't live in St. Pete, but just returned from a relocation information gathering trip. Stay away from anything South of Central Ave. Very run down, and I was told as a single woman traveller to keep out so I assume safety is an issue as well. Keep searching the posts, there's info here...Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM

183 posts, read 454,267 times
I don't have kids so I can't comment on schools - Old NorthEast is a historic neighborhood near downtown St. Pete, Tampa Bay and the waterfront. Many families live there and has tons of beautiful bungalows and tropical landscaping. It's my favorite neighborhood in Pinellas.

Kenwood also has many bungalows, but is further West and not walking distance.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Been in St.Pete almost my whole life. i can't comment about Mt. Vernon, but lets face it, a schools a school. Lots of nice (but pricey) conds downtown. Northeast section is beautiful but also pricey. Section 8? I don't know-landlords are having a tough time finding renters so they're trying anything, including going to Section 8. Section 8 housing is in almost all parts of the city, so what can you do? It's not always a bad thing. Downtown, like all inner cities, has it's share of crime and riff-raff, but lots of folks live there and love it. I'd live downtown in a miniute if I were moving. It's what you make of it.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
Agree with VaughnWilliams (are you a fan by the way - of RVW?)
Public schools not so good, most families use private, St Pauls v v popular with Old NE families, then they go on to SPCath or St Pete High for 9-12

Good luck with your searches

Old 07-03-2009, 02:49 PM

22 posts, read 49,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Agree with VaughnWilliams (are you a fan by the way - of RVW?)
Public schools not so good, most families use private, St Pauls v v popular with Old NE families, then they go on to SPCath or St Pete High for 9-12

Good luck with your searches
(feel a little silly...) not familiar with th RVW acronym.

We were fortunate to have our daughter attending a respectable private school for her first two years. Unfortunately, do to unforeseen circumstances, (like everyone else in the country) that isn't an option now.

We have lived in urban areas, where on the left side of our street there were 3 million dollar condos and one block over there were low income housing. After having items stolen, we wised up. Although living in a groomed, desirable portion of the block, consequently learned not to have a false sense of security.

we are just hoping to find a decent area.

Ok- (per Icorvidae)steer clear of south of central. Also, Someone had recommended east of 41?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Default Downtown St Pete??

Have seen that there has been a condo explosion in recent years in downtown St Pete. I am interested in living in the downtown area. Does anyone know about 1010 Central condos? or any other condos there? The prices seem to be falling - overbuilding or not safe??

Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
For what it's worth, 1010 Central is about 4 blocks from the police station so I would imagine you'd be safe. No city is perfectly safe but lots of people love what a downtown has to offer. Look at Manhattan- it's full of weirdos yet it's some of the most desirable real estate on Earth. Personally, I think living downtown would be fun.
@lavender-I'm a huge fan of Ralph Vaughn Williams. The Episcopal church on 4th Street does his music sometimes.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icorvidae View Post
Hi There, I don't live in St. Pete, but just returned from a relocation information gathering trip. Stay away from anything South of Central Ave. Very run down, and I was told as a single woman traveller to keep out so I assume safety is an issue as well. Keep searching the posts, there's info here...Good Luck!
I don't know who told you this, but they were fear mongering, not giving you helpful counsel.

Good Nieghborhoods south of Central Ave:
Tropical Shores
Bahama Shores
Bay Moorings
The Pink Streets
Tiera Verde
St Petersburg Beach
Gulfport

I just moved from Coquina Key after living there for years, and really enjoyed it - yes, even as a woman. And personally, I'd be looking at Old Southeast which is also south of the Central Avenue DANGER DANGER DANGER zone you were warned about.

You need not be afraid - there are lots of good areas scattered all over the peninsula.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
So am I correct in thinking Coquina Key is a safe place for a single woman. I am relocating and want to make sure. The condo is great and the view is incredible, just verifying the positive outweigh the negative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay