Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,238 times

Advertisements

Got a job offer from Tampa, not sure if I should accept it. I have been to Orlando in the past and liked it, but never been to Tampa. I live in the south now so the heat wont bother me, but I have other questions about the weather....

Can someone please explain the rain situation to me, I heard it rains there almost everyday from May till November. I heard it often rains at the same time everyday, but sometimes not too long. Are these light rains or soaking thunderstorms?

Do homes and apts get flooded a lot there?

What is a Hurricane Evacuation Zone and if I live in one that means I must evacuate no matter what?

What about these hurricanes? I was reading through the forum and it looks like you guys are saying Tampa has not received a Hurricane in over 80 years, is that true? Then why do you have "Hurricane Season" every summer?

I have been to beaches in other states where they were so windy that I could not enjoy myself, are the beaches too windy there? Is Tampa a considerably high windy city or just average?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,310,591 times
It rains a lot May through November and it might rain every day at 5PM and be done before 6. Some weeks it doesn't rain at all.

I don't think that residential flooding is all that common, but it can happen. A lot of streets flood during heavy rain, but the water doesn't sit for too long.

Tampa hasn't had a direct hit since 1926 or something, but there's always the chance that it could happen. We had a few close calls, especially in 2004. Just because we don't get a direct hit doesn't mean we don't get any damage. Power outages and downed trees are fairly common if a storm is near. Hurricane season isn't based on a place-by-place location. We all get the same news and warnings. Storms frequently change directions, so one could turn and hit us, even if it was heading for, say, Pensacola.

Tampa doesn't come off as all that windy to me, but maybe I just never noticed it. The beaches are usually pretty nice. The only time I've ever had a problem with wind on the beach was when I went one time in November or December. There was a very cold breeze that day and it wasn't too fun.

I've never chosen to evacuate, but I don't remember if it was a recommended evacuation or a mandatory one.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM

503 posts, read 773,042 times
Hurricane evacuation just depends on where in Tampa you choose to live. I am in south Tampa and we were ordered to evacuate once (Charlie). Not all Tampa was evacuated, just certain areas. Your realtor should be able to tell you.
Congrats on your offer and good luck.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,692 times
it seems like the summer is very wet but the rest of the year sees no mroe precipitation than many other US cities.

from Weather By Day

Old 10-01-2010, 03:15 AM

161 posts, read 450,836 times
Can someone please explain the rain situation to me, I heard it rains there almost everyday from May till November. I heard it often rains at the same time everyday, but sometimes not too long. Are these light rains or soaking thunderstorms?

It typically rains for short periods across different parts of the metro. We do get days where its an all day downpour all over, but on average id say it rains on one side of the street for ten minutes, then the other side for ten... etc

Do homes and apts get flooded a lot there?

ive only lived in one home that had this problem. if you rent, sign a six months lease, if you find flooding, find another place.

What is a Hurricane Evacuation Zone and if I live in one that means I must evacuate no matter what?

i find this amusing. ive lived here nearly all my life. i have no idea where the zones are, nor do i care in the least. the day i believe we are really going to get hit, ill know when to leave.

What about these hurricanes? I was reading through the forum and it looks like you guys are saying Tampa has not received a Hurricane in over 80 years, is that true? Then why do you have "Hurricane Season" every summer?

we have hurricane's pass over every year but rarely a hit directly. this means that the power might go out for a day or two once a year. i personally like it, as its a good excuse to unplug from everything, have good friends over, and drink booze and actually have long conversation and hear stories.

I have been to beaches in other states where they were so windy that I could not enjoy myself, are the beaches too windy there? Is Tampa a considerably high windy city or just average?

mostly not windy i would say, except before or after a hurricane (and yes, some of us go to see what the beach looks like during a hurricane).

hope that helps... feel free to ask any others you have

Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,658,153 times
I have lived here for just over 5 years. I understand that I just missed the year that Tampa had 3 bad storms hit one right after another. No big deal though. I have experienced one day that it rained very hard all day long. Some parts had 11 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. I don't think you should be too concerned about bad weather. I have been driving when a storm blew by. You are left driving at 10 miles an hour for 10 to 15 minutes. Not fun, but you get use to it.

I have never felt blown away at the beaches. They are breezy, but not one that will rip off your toupee.

I live in the New Tampa area. I have not seen flooded out areas. However, a friend who lives in this area said one storm her house was flooded and we don't live in a flood area. She said it came up from a crack in her foundation. I suppose it can happen. I have not experienced that in my house.

Summer is our wet season. The rest of the year, it barely rains. It is beautiful in the fall and winter.

Evacuation zones? I think the closer you live to downtown Tampa and the beach, will be your evacuation areas. Someone said to ask your realtor, good advise. They will know what the evacuation areas are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay